Questions about the 811

diver90

Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
I just made the transition from Voom over to Dish and had a couple of 811's installed. The install went pretty well but I have a couple of questions for the experts.

1) One of the 811's only responds to the remote if it is no more than two feet away. I have put fresh batteries in. The 811 is sitting on the very top of an open rack and the antenna is correctly attached.

2) In my HT I have (had?) everything programmed into a master remote with an IR repeater located at the front of the room relaying everything to the rack in the back of the room. I believe that the UHF remote emits no IR, correct? The documentation says that the 811 has an IR sensor and will respond to IR codes. My question is what set of codes do I need to control the 811 via IR and where can I get them?

(If I can find what code sets, I will certainly try remotecentral )

Thanks

diver90 said:
I just made the transition from Voom over to Dish and had a couple of 811's installed. The install went pretty well but I have a couple of questions for the experts.

1) One of the 811's only responds to the remote if it is no more than two feet away. I have put fresh batteries in. The 811 is sitting on the very top of an open rack and the antenna is correctly attached.

2) In my HT I have (had?) everything programmed into a master remote with an IR repeater located at the front of the room relaying everything to the rack in the back of the room. I believe that the UHF remote emits no IR, correct? The documentation says that the 811 has an IR sensor and will respond to IR codes. My question is what set of codes do I need to control the 811 via IR and where can I get them?

(If I can find what code sets, I will certainly try remotecentral )

Thanks

sounds like the UHF antenna isnt installed on the receiver... would at least produce the problem you described. as for why its doing it with the antenna attached.. (in best homer simpson voice) I dunno. Oh with the exception of maybe the 2 remotes are on the same channel?

as for codes... when i had my 811 it responded to the standard Echostar Codes.

Possible answer to part of my own question.... once I get the remote working right....

Background

When in SAT mode, the DISH 811 receiver’s remote control outputs only UHF Pro commands. However, the DISH 811 is capable of receiving both infrared commands and UHF Pro commands.

Feature

With P264 software and later, the DISH 811 includes a “Teach Remote” feature that allows it to receive commands from the 8.0 UHF Pro remote, and echoes those commands in infrared via the IR blast to a nearby learning remote.

Please note:

• Only commands used for the DISH 811 receiver will be echoed back; other remote commands (e.g. DVR, PIP, TV, etc.) will be ignored.

• After teaching a learning remote, if the receiver’s remote address is changed, each command of the learning remote must be re-taught so that the addresses match.

• Some learning remotes may not be capable of learning from the DISH 811 IR commands.

• Not all “universal” remotes are learning remotes.

• Use the remote-to-remote distance specified in the learning remote’s user guide as the distance to locate the learning remote from the receiver’s IR blast. In some cases, it may be necessary to increase or decrease the distance for optimal performance.

Procedure

1. Using the DISH Network 8.0 remote control, choose MENU, (6) System Setup, (3) Diagnostics.

2. If your receiver does not have the Teach Remote option in the System Diagnostics Tests screen, turn off the receiver and take the latest software download.

3. In System Diagnostics Tests, move the highlight to Teach Remote and press SELECT on the remote control.

4. Review the “Warning” screen that states that a press of a front panel button must be used to exit “Teach Remote” mode. Select Help for more information or select Yes to continue.

5. While in SAT mode, each valid button press on the 8.0 remote control will cause the receiver to display “Remote Control Button Pressed.” Use your learning remote according to its User Guide to receive the infrared command being sent from the satellite receiver. If a button is pressed on the 8.0 remote control that is not used for the DISH 811 receiver, the command will be ignored and no message will be displayed.

6. When completed, exit “Teach Remote” mode by either pressing any front panel button, or leaving the receiver alone for at least three minutes. NOTE: Even if the receive front panel buttons are locked, you can still exit “Teach Remote” mode by pressing a front panel button; the front panel locks will continue to operate.

i guess i wasnt specific in my answer... my OFA Kameleon ran the 811 just fine with the standard Echostar Codes (there were 3 sets i believe)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts