Questions about upgrade to 622.

BearHuntr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
I'm currently using a 522 and an 811 and I am upgrading to a 622 this Friday. Here is how I plan to hook this up:

The 622 will be in the Living Room and I plan to connect the TV1 HDMI output to the Living Room TV and then connect the TV1 component output and optical audio output to my projector and receiver in the basement. I have a TV in the bedroom and one in the kitchen that will be hooked up to TV2 via the coaxial cable. I currently have an extra UHF Pro 8.0 remote that I purchased for the kitchen that I will be keeping.

1) Does the 622 come with an HDMI cable? If not, can the installer provide that or should I get my own?

2) I would like to buy another UHF Pro remote to control TV1 from the basement. Is there a particular model that I should get? Also, once the UHF signal is enabled for TV1, does that cause the IR remote that comes with the 622 to stop working?

Thanks for your help!

Scott.

1. Hard to say, depends on who you buy it from. I don't think anything is sent by default since there are so many options and they don't know what kind of HD input you have.

2. If you are going to use UHF Pro for TV1 you need the 6.2 or 6.3 with the "UHF Pro 1" key enabled. The others work for TV2 only.

Be very careful in handling the HDMI connector/cable. Owners of 622s have reported that their HDMI connectors have broken in use, and when they jiggle the connector, the picture will come back on - indicating that they have fragile internal connections to the system board.

I wouldn't connect the HDMI until I was finished with the entire install, and wasn't going to move the 622 around anymore. Then I would "brace/support" the HDMI cable to reduce the stress it puts on the connector.

Just had my 622 put in on Saturday but I haven't rummaged through all of the bags yet. I'll look when I get home to see if they included a HDMI cable.

I didn't get an HDMI cable with my 622 (plus Dish 500, etc.) installation. The installer did give me a very nice (and long) component cable set, but I didn't need it since I had everything nicely hooked up to my entertainment system.

The 622 comes with an old red white and yellow composite cable, no component, and definitely no HDMI :(

Your installer may have one he will give or sell you, but likely you will need to get your own. I got a top of the line Monster HDMI cable on ebay for less than $25 shipped, which will cost you over $100 in a brick and mortar. So online is the way to go for cables if you have time for them to arrive.

In a survey conducted on this board in the past month, 40% of all 211/411/622 owners reported that their HDMI connectors were no longer working. This is a widescale problem.

I second the nomination of buying from monoprice.com, they have excellent prices and some of their cables are very good (might stay away from their cheapest cables). My $8 HDMI cable from them works perfectly.

And my 622 also had just the old cheapo composite/audio combo cable and a s-video cable. When I got a leased 811 last year, they included a reasonably decent component cable.

Of course now that I have about 8 of the composite/audio combo cables from Dish, I could use three of them as a component cable. After all, component video cables are merely three composite video cables bonded together.

Last edited:
I saw this over at the AVS Forum (one of their "deals" caught my eye) as a "solution" to the piss-poor design of the HDMI connector: http://www.bestdealcables.com/hdmiballmount.aspx

Their HDMI cables come with a mating clip that connects to the "ball-mount" screw, providing a positive lock to hold the HDMI connector in place. Of course, you need to loosen the purse strings and pay considerably more than $8 for this HDMI cable solution...

My apologies in advance for linking to a vendor from a different site.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions on the HDMI cable, I'll pick one up off of the web. Plus, I'll be very careful when connecting it to the receiver, there's no way I will have the installer do that for me!

As for the remote question, I will look at getting a 6.2 remote, but does anyone know if the IR remote stops working once TV1 is UHF enabled? I want to keep the IR remote in the Living Room and use the UHF remote just for the basement.

Thanks again!

Scott.

Foxbat said:
My apologies in advance for linking to a vendor from a different site.
This is not one of the other sites, no apologies needed here :D
But thanks for that link, might be worth pursueing, as I've had problems with HDMI connections before (I truly miss the DVI screws).

Tom Bombadil said:
Be very careful in handling the HDMI connector/cable. Owners of 622s have reported that their HDMI connectors have broken in use, and when they jiggle the connector, the picture will come back on - indicating that they have fragile internal connections to the system board.
Yeah, the engineer who designed that connector should be shot.
The one on my Hitachi TV broke, and the entire HDMI module had to be replaced. The Hitachi technician and I both commented how flimsy the solder connections on it were, and how they've had tons of problems with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)