Questions about upgrading to HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wparrott

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Roanoke Rapids, NC
I want to upgrade my existing Dish hardware to get high-def in two rooms. I have two 522 receivers that are leased. I want to remove one 522 and add two 622s (the 2nd 522 feeds the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms). Here are my questions (in no particular order):

1. Can I lease 3 dual tuner receivers (two 622s and a 522)?

2. I have a Dish 500 antenna. If I upgrade to HD I'm almost sure that the antenna will have to be replaced (to get Raleigh HD locals). Which antenna will I need to get all available HD content and is this included in the upgrade price?

3. If I can't lease two 622s I may buy the 2nd receiver. Will the antenna that the installer puts in handle three dual-tuner receivers? If not, what other hardware will I need to purchase? I think I may need a DPP44 switch but am not sure. Should I buy the 2nd receiver and switch prior to the installer coming out to do the upgrade? Would this incur additional installer charges (e.g. not a standard or basic install)?

4. In the living room I have 2 coax feeds from the antenna to the receiver. If I put two 622s in the living room (one for the living room and one for the master bedroom) will I need to run additional coax from the antenna to accomodate the 2nd 622?

5. For asthetic reasons I'd like to avoid putting a receiver in the master bedroom. If I put the bedroom receiver in the living room and run HDMI cable to feed the TV how will I control the receiver from the bedroom? Does the TV1 remote on the 622 work in UHF mode?

Any advice would be appreciated.

1. Dish limits customer to four leased tuners.
2. Not sure on this one (someone will chime in with answer), but Dish will install.
3. Providing they use a DPP twin lnb, DPP44 would be way to go (check with your install as to price and make sure they bring it with.)
4. No, input runs have to go to the receiver.
5. IR remote cannot be used at UHF, but if you use receiver in single mode you can use UHF remote for tv2 to control most of the functions.

The 622 manual says that you can order a UHF remote to replace the #1 (IR) remote. They offer this in case you have equipment inside of furniture or in a AV closet.

Thanks for the replys. If Dish limits to four leased tuners can I purchase a 522 and trade-up to two 622's?

Regarding the cabling from antenna to the receiver in the living room...I've got 2 coax cables. My question is will I need additional coax from the antenna/switch to feed two dual-tuner receivers or can the existing cabling handle it with some type of combiner/splitter setup? I'm not against running additional cable but it would make the install/upgrade go quicker.

I'm willing and capable of doing the upgrade myself. Does Dish allow for self-installs of leased equipment?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys. If Dish limits to four leased tuners can I purchase a 522 and trade-up to two 622's?

Regarding the cabling from antenna to the receiver in the living room...I've got 2 coax cables. My question is will I need additional coax from the antenna/switch to feed two dual-tuner receivers or can the existing cabling handle it with some type of combiner/splitter setup? I'm not against running additional cable but it would make the install/upgrade go quicker.

I'm willing and capable of doing the upgrade myself. Does Dish allow for self-installs of leased equipment?

Signals can combine OTA signals with Dish signals using Diplexers. Normal splitters/combiners may not work. Dish usually does not allow 622's to be installed except for their installers. The installers do not include OTA install unless you pay them separately, also some installers will do OTA while others will not.

Ok, looks like I need to do some reading to get up-to-speed before I order. I'm not sure what the switch does or where it's supposed to be located.

Sorry to irritate with with noob questions. I've been out of the Sat. TV game for about 20 years. Once upon a time I installed C/Ku band equipment for a local electronics store. I really miss digging the holes and pouring the concrete to set the 8' dishes. (not!)

Thanks for taking the time...

Not sure if this should be a new topic or not....but anyway...just got off the phone with a CSR. He's telling me that I can't upgrade both of the 522s to 622s. I can only upgrade 3 tuners as part of the 'Dishing it up' promotion. I wanted to buy a 522 to use in the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms and use the 2 leased receivers in the living and master bedrooms.

Is the CSR correct or is there a way to upgrade both of the receivers to 622s? Any help is greatly appreciated as it will save me a few hundred $$ on the receiver purchase.

TIA...

The limit is three tuners per DIU up grade, so you could do a 622 and a 211 and in 12 months upgrade the 211 ot a 622. Or just do the 622 and in 12 months do another 622. I chose to do a 622 then a 211 12 mos later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)