Questions about upgrading to HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Yankeefan3783

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
I'm currently a Dish 500 customer. I have America's Top 250, CT locals, and two international channles, RTPI and SPT via a 61.5 satellite. I recently purchased an HDTV and I'm interested in upgrading to HD programming. I understand that I have to buy an HD receiver, but with my current set up, is that all I would have to buy? Will I need to purchase a new satellite or do I already have everything in place for an upgrade to HD? Basically, if I were to just purchase an HD receiver would all I have to do is connect it and start receiving HD programming (granted I sign up for HD programming)?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry if this topic has already been discussed.

I'm sure if you purchased your own satellite you would get all the HD you want, but I assume you mean a new dish pointed at a different sat location. You seem to have the right setup as most of the Northeast cannot see 129 correctly and have to have 61.5 instead. All the National HD channels are mirrored on both 129 and 61.5.

Yes, thank you. I have the Dish 500 pointed at 119 and 110, and a second dish pointed at 61.5. I just wanted to make sure that all I needed to do is purchase an HD receiver and connect it to start receiving HD (after selecting an HD programming package from Dish of course). I'm glad to hear I don't need to have a third satellite installed. :D

Don't expect to see CT locals in HD just yet but they are said to be coming very soon.

With a handle like Yankeefan, I am surprised you are here at all since the YES Network will probably never come to Dish.

Depending on the age of your lnb's Dish may need to replace the lnb's on your dishes to correctly be able to feed a two tuner receiver with one cable. Should be included in the install.

Don't expect to see CT locals in HD just yet but they are said to be coming very soon.

With a handle like Yankeefan, I am surprised you are here at all since the YES Network will probably never come to Dish.

I know what you mean. My parents have Dish due to the international programming. I catch Yankee games at gf's house, bars, etc.

I still think it's ridiculous Dish doesn't carry it.

Depending on the age of your lnb's Dish may need to replace the lnb's on your dishes to correctly be able to feed a two tuner receiver with one cable. Should be included in the install.

The Dish 500 I have is 9 years old, as is the other dish (61.5).

May be legacy lnb's, newest product is DPP technology which allows the lnb to stack signals at diferent frequencies on the same cable, thusly you have only one cable from the switch (internal or external) to the receiver.

There are three stages of Dish lnb technology: legacy, Dish Pro and Dish Pro Plus. The latter two are indicated by DP or DPP on the lnb.

I am not well versed in which lnbs will work with which receivers, maybe someone else can help. I believe legacy and ViP may be problematic, but your install should be free and the installer will give you what you need.

Thanks for all the info.

I have Dish Network installers coming here this Saturday to set it all up. Figured having them doing it will be much easier. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)