So there must have been an Update: 722 Feature has been taken away?!?!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

J3ff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
So I for one cannot STAND the black bars even on SD channels......

I was THRILLED when I first got the 722 and realized that if I set it to "partial zoom" on SD channels, it would change to "normal" automatically when I went to an HD channel.

And then it would change back to partial zoom on regular SD channels.

Well guess freakin what.

Today that is not the case????????

THANKS A LOT dish.

Does anyone know if there's a way to force this option to ON?

What SW version? I use stretch on my SD channels,and it still goes back to normal on HD. I have ver 449, but I can't check right now on the partial zoom problem.

The HD channel and SD channel zooms are independent of one another. The 211/222 are nice because it always displays both. On the 622/722 tune to an HD channel, set it the way you want then tune to an SD channel and tune it how you'd like. Chances are that while on an SD channel the zoom option got changed. Just change it back.

Yeah...let's spend thousands of $$ on an HDTV, and then make everyone look fat. Can't understand it.....
I am with you, however I can understand why some want to stretch it. They look at it like, I bought a 50 inch tv and only get to see a 37 inch picture. Average joe doesnt know or care about OAR.

[Humor Mode]

Maybe this is partially why we have weight problems here in the US. People are over weight because they think that is how people are supposed to look?

[/Humor Mode]

Stretch-o-vision ... yuck.

Partial Zoom is not stretch-O-vision. Everything looks pretty normal it is just slightly zoomed in and shows a full screen on SD programs.

Yeah. You lose a little off the top and bottom and circles are a little out of round, but it's far from stretch-o-vision. Way preferable to pillar-box (to me) and far less distracting than Pioneer's "progressive stretch" Wide mode. I adjusted my screen position up a bit, so that I can still read the CNN crawler, and I'm happy with the result.

Partial Zoom is not stretch-O-vision. Everything looks pretty normal it is just slightly zoomed in and shows a full screen on SD programs.

This deprnds on the tv. I have an LCD 26" widescreen and it does show a little stretch, but my 42" is spot on.

I use partial zoom for SD on my 56" crt based HD RPTV to avoid burn in of the black (or grey) bars.

Dish's partial zoom appears to be a combination of stretch and zoom, so the people on the screen still appear a little fatter, but not as fat or vertically challenged as they do on regular stretch mode. You lose a little of the top and bottom of the picture too, but not as bad as full zoom.

- Paul

I wish the partial zoom on Dish is like the one on my Toshiba TV. Toshiba does a partial zoom that stretch more toward 2 sides than the center. You lost less picture on top and bottom and the center of the screen (where the faces usually located) has almost no stretch. Most people cannot tell it was stretch from a 4:3 picture.

I wish the partial zoom on Dish is like the one on my Toshiba TV. Toshiba does a partial zoom that stretch more toward 2 sides than the center. You lost less picture on top and bottom and the center of the screen (where the faces usually located) has almost no stretch. Most people cannot tell it was stretch from a 4:3 picture.
The Dish (RCA) brand HDTV has a similar view. It does a little stretching near the sides that is not very intrusive at all except with horz scrolling banners as they come on and go off the ends. Although not perfect, it far outdoes the options available in either my Dish 622 or SA 8300HD receivers.

My wife likes to buy fullscreen editions of movies on DVD because she can't stand the letterboxing on widescreen movies. I showed her how to zoom in on the DVD player to eliminate the black bars if it bothers her that much. Too much trouble. She would rather watch everything stretched out, including SD programming on Dish. The separate zoom modes for HD and SD on the 622 is one of her favorite features. If that went away I am sure I would get an earfull.

After seeing all of this, I just checked my ViP722 and I have the HD vs. SD different zoom choices. Software version is L449.

I just set the SD back to normal. Just the way I like it.

There are TWO ways to get black bars on the side: The station or your receiver. Your receiver will switch between stretch-o-vision (if you set it that way) on SD stuff or stay if the ota is in 16:9 mode and upconverting SDI. They will put the sides on. In that case, other than a detector for black bars that some cable companies have, you can't do a thing. As a broadcaster, we put bars on the side of the upcoverted stuff to match the network. There is no easy way to switch modes when in a transition to SD or to HD. That would be the ultimate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)