Questions about upgrading to Hopper

It does only store for 8 days, but you can move it to your personal folder, indefinitely. I have PTAT shows that are more than 6 months old still on my recordings with ptat

I'm not impressed with that.

211k will allow this without all the additional FEES.

Show me what good a Hopper is if the broadcasters (ABC & CBS, with the others soon to follow, no doubt) won't allow it to HOP. CBS' new agreement calls for AutoHop to be disabled for the first seven days. Hopper only holds, what? Eight days' worth of primetime? You can still manually skip the ads, but I can do that with 211k without all the added FEES.

If the OP already has 211k with external hard drive enabled, it's logical to add that type of receiver to his account, unless he wants to incur additional monthly charges. It's certainly his choice. All I did was offer an alternative to what he was asking. Dish is not very likely to refund the $40 charge for making his 211k a DVR. I am simply reminding him that additional reveivers will not require the payment of additional FEES.
I could do that, but I cannot drop a cable from the antenna to the tv in my living room. The way my house is built it is simply impossible to get a cable there.

I'm also concerned about how long these receivers and external hard drives I have will last. While I take care of them and everything, I know they don't last forever. I already had to replace the 722K and a 211K once. I'm guessing you have to pay $40 fee if they go down. I realize that it would ultimately be cheaper, but I feel like given my situation, this would be the best way to get OTA in every room and access DVR in every room.

And to be fair, even if you can't autohop anymore, at least you can record 4 channels all at once and the DVR can be accessed at every room. a 211K and a 722K cannot do that.

My mind is pretty much made up that I'm going to get a Hopper, two Joeys, and a Super Joey.

My only remaining question is this. I have some recordings on my 722K that I really do not want to lose. I found myself on at a Texas Rangers game in one recording and I was able to get the announcer guys to wish my grandmother a Happy Birthday during the game on a second recording. I really don't want to lose those.

I'm going to look into buying a capture card with HDMI so I can get the recordings saved onto my computer.

If you have one 211receiver and you deactivate it, will you be charged the $40 fee again if you activate a different 211 receiver on the account?

I could do that, but I cannot drop a cable from the antenna to the tv in my living room. The way my house is built it is simply impossible to get a cable there.

I'm also concerned about how long these receivers and external hard drives I have will last. While I take care of them and everything, I know they don't last forever. I already had to replace the 722K and a 211K once. I'm guessing you have to pay $40 fee if they go down. I realize that it would ultimately be cheaper, but I feel like given my situation, this would be the best way to get OTA in every room and access DVR in every room.

And to be fair, even if you can't autohop anymore, at least you can record 4 channels all at once and the DVR can be accessed at every room. a 211K and a 722K cannot do that.

My mind is pretty much made up that I'm going to get a Hopper, two Joeys, and a Super Joey.

My only remaining question is this. I have some recordings on my 722K that I really do not want to lose. I found myself on at a Texas Rangers game in one recording and I was able to get the announcer guys to wish my grandmother a Happy Birthday during the game on a second recording. I really don't want to lose those.

I'm going to look into buying a capture card with HDMI so I can get the recordings saved onto my computer.

Just dump the recording to an EHD. The Hopper will read it just fine.

No, the authorization code stays on the account.

I thought the hard drives were linked to the receivers and I would have to pay $40 for each receiver that I put a hard drive on.

Do you mean now that I paid the hard drive fee I can use the hard drive on any receiver?

Just dump the recording to an EHD. The Hopper will read it just fine.

Like I said, the hard drive is on the 211K. Would I be able to put a hard drive on the 722K without having to pay the fee again?

I actually went to buy a capture card today at Best Buy today I was a little worried because of HDCP but fortunately Fox Sports Southwest allowed me to get what I wanted. The rest on the DVR is movies that I'll never watch That said I can still take back the capture card and just transfer everything yet not a problem.

No. You can use any EHD that has been formatted by a 211 on your account with any other 211 on your account. The account numbers have to match, but the EHD for the 211 is limited to just 211s. The 722 having an EHD could be used with any other VIP dvr on the same account, or if upgraded to hopper, can be used with the hopper on the account, as long as he account number always remains the same.

No, the hard drives are linked to your account and in turn, the receivers are then linked. Make sense ?

Also, I thought they dropped the fee a while ago ?
They did. Except for the 211. There is still a $40 fee to turn it into a dvr. But no monthly fees.
The dvrs can just have them plug and play(after formatting of course)

Reactions: olfenite
Thanks fellas. Learn something new every day. I'll just use the 211K's external hard drive on the 722K to get all the programs from it before the hopper is installed.

Just so you are fully fully aware. Once you format the 211 EHD to the 722, anything saved on there currently, will be deleted.

Just so you are fully fully aware. Once you format the 211 EHD to the 722, anything saved on there currently, will be deleted.

Yes I realize that. There's nothing special on it right now, just several unwatched episodes of Green Acres.

Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)