Questions and Concerns

KazooGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
S.W. Michigan
During a recent equipment upgrade the tech that came out discovered that a previous tech that had installed my wing dish for 61.5 had dumped the 1000.2 dish and had given me two 500 dishes, one for the 110/119 slot and one for the 61.5. At that time he told me that the sat at 129 was very weak and problematic and this setup would work better. I had no problem with the setup and all seemed to work well.

Well, I upgraded my bedroom unit from a 211 to a 612 and the paperwork told the tech I had a 1000.2 dish and the 500 wing, which of course I didn’t have, because apparently the previous tech never informed E* of what he did. Therefore, the most recent tech tells me that he can remove the wing and install a single dish to get the programming I want and there would not be any additional charge. Thinking he meant an Eastern Arc installation, I told him to go ahead.

Well, I did not pay any attention to what he was doing outside and once everything was set up and running and after he left I go out and look and he has installed another 1000.2 dish! So I had issues with low signal levels for my locals spot beam on 129, which were in the low 30’s, when with the 61.5 sat they had been in the low 60's, and on the first rain event they dropped lower to around 18 to 20 making the picture unwatchable.

In addition, on 110 and 119 the signals were a good 10 to 12 points lower as well. I was basing these signals on my 722, which had been in place before the dish change out. I called to complain and they sent the tech back out and he tried to realign the dish but could never get the levels to come up. He changed dishes, saying the dish might be the probelm, and this brought the levels up about 5 points, but still no where near where they were when I had the two 500 dishes.

I guess my complaint is, why didn’t the tech realize that levels were low to begin with and since they were installing a new dish twice, didn’t they install and Eastern Arc dish in Kalamazoo Michigan? So far the weather has not been an issue, but snow and rain are around the corner and I am going to be very disappointed if for the first time in 7 years I am going to have problems with signal levels in the winter months.

You are complaioning here, have you complained to DISH? DISH is the one who needs to send out an installer to replace the 1000.2 with 2 dish 500s. I don't know why you think a 1000.4 is going to be better for you the satellites aren't newer than WA and your look angle maybe worse.

110/119/61.5 is not a typical installation for your area.
A work order in your area would likely call for a 1000.2 dish.

EDIT: OR at the time of installation would have been a 1000+ due to locals being broadcast on the 118.7/61.5
which would bring in 110/119/118.7/129 and can be difficult to tune for high signal strengths on all 4 sats, especially in the snow :(
The 1000+ requires extra mounting, more skill in tuning, lots of extra work cabling and installing a switch.
This dish can take 3x as long to install.

Reasons why a tech would install 110/119/61.5
-There was already a 110/119 dish up and he found it easier to tie a 61.5 into the existing.
- He actually knows what he is doing and is trying to provide you with the best signals possible; making programing up with the sats available to him even if the method was not authorized by E*

Reasons why a tech would replace an existing 110/119 with a 1000.2
- He is there to install for a total of 2+ receivers; the 1000.2 has 3 outputs where the +twin only has 2
- His management would come down hard on him if he was found to leave something other than what a work order called for.
-He had use for the spare equipment he just generated.

Reasons why you should not want a 1000.4 currently
- The dish points up toward the sky much more, catching more snow
- The signal strengths are not yet balanced 30-50 are normal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)