Questions for the Dish Tech Team?

A few install related questions. Why do they list elevation & azimuth info for dish 300/500/Superdish and not 1000.2/1000.4/1000+. The super dish hasn't been used in 5+ years and none of them are current. Also, why do we still see sat 148 listed. It doesn't even exist anymore.

I don't think you can have both because the switches are completely different - you have to pick one system or the other. (I suppose you could have two, completely separate, dish systems if you really wanted to, though.)

from wat it looks like to me it would work. they are the same system. the only difference is that for one hopper you take 2 lines from the 1k.2/4 into the adapter which then sends the signal out for 2 hoppers bring all 3 lines into the adapter. for example if you wanted 1 hopper 2 joeys and 2 722k(s). install a dpp44 switch. 2 lines to the hopper adapter 1 line to each 722k.

A few install related questions. Why do they list elevation & azimuth info for dish 300/500/Superdish and not 1000.2/1000.4/1000+. The super dish hasn't been used in 5+ years and none of them are current. Also, why do we still see sat 148 listed. It doesn't even exist anymore.
Ideally they would just remove that whole feature. Given the alternative (dishpointer.com), the firmware based data is pretty useless anymore and they could surely use the data table space for something more useful.

DISH isn't really all that excited about subscribers setting up HD dishes.

At this time our DVRs do have the ability to password protect channels using the lock feature, which means you would have to enter a password to watch or record content on a particular channel. On most of our DVRs that is Menu+5+3.

And here we go...

Here are a number of your questions from this very thread answered by DISH. :)

Last edited:
Interesting interview. Thanks Scott. Note that Vivek said (right after the 8min mark) Prime Time Anytime could in the future be expanded to "any 4 networks" on the transponder. That suggests to me that Dish is parsing out 4 specific channels from the stream, and not recording the entire stream.

I liked Vivek's response regarding the OTA module....sort of like, well yes there will be one, but why would you want it? And his explanation about it not doing prime time anytime made me understand the response. I guess unless if someone lives in a market where OTA is considerably better than sat, it really wouldn't serve much of a purpose.

Interesting interview. Thanks Scott. Note that Vivek said (right after the 8min mark) Prime Time Anytime could in the future be expanded to "any 4 networks" on the transponder. That suggests to me that Dish is parsing out 4 specific channels from the stream, and not recording the entire stream.

I asked him about that after and he meant to say any local networks.. they are all being recorded. As I said before the entire spotbeam for your area is being recorded with Primetime Anytime.

I liked Vivek's response regarding the OTA module....sort of like, well yes there will be one, but why would you want it? And his explanation about it not doing prime time anytime made me understand the response. I guess unless if someone lives in a market where OTA is considerably better than sat, it really wouldn't serve much of a purpose.

Considering DISH doesn't provide locals in HD in 40 DMAs and with the bandwidth DISH uses for HD, some of us would still need OTA capability like we have on the ViP equipment.

Considering DISH doesn't provide locals in HD in 40 DMAs and with the bandwidth DISH uses for HD, some of us would still need OTA capability like we have on the ViP equipment.

The only down draw to ota is no prime time. Manual timers would be a must feature for ota.

Point taken. But for those of us who get them, not a necessity.

Easy answer better HD PQ,and if DISH does not make a USB Dual Tuner OTA Box for the Hopper, a Hopper won't be in my house,and won't be until they have one.That is also the main reason Primetime Anytime should be enabled for the OTA tuners,but I can live without Primetime Anytime because I like to preprogram what I record.

You see I have been spoiled having DISH's VIP722k/wMT2,to be able to record 4 programs at once(2SAT+2OTA) while watching a prerecorded program.:D

Would I like extra tuners? Sometimes I wish I had an extra satellite tuner,so I can see a day when a Hopper maybe in my home,but that day won't come without a dual tuner USB OTA box,or the right offer(another 24 month commitment) so I will be satisfied to watch on the sidelines until the day that everything would seem to be right to upgrade.;)

Easy answer better HD PQ,and if DISH does not make a USB Dual Tuner OTA Box for the Hopper, a Hopper won't be in my house,and won't be until they have one.That is also the main reason Primetime Anytime should be enabled for the OTA tuners,but I can live without Primetime Anytime because I like to preprogram what I record.

You see I have been spoiled having DISH's VIP722k/wMT2,to be able to record 4 programs at once(2SAT+2OTA) while watching a prerecorded program.:D

Would I like extra tuners? Sometimes I wish I had an extra satellite tuner,so I can see a day when a Hopper maybe in my home,but that day won't come without a dual tuner USB OTA box,or the right offer(another 24 month commitment) so I will be satisfied to watch on the sidelines until the day that everything would seem to be right to upgrade.;)

I do not see how Primetime Anytime could be accomplished using an OTA tuner. Hopper is recording the entire spot beam transponder bitstream for the HD locals and then parsing after-the-fact. OTA tuners serve up a discrete ATSC frequency. If you want to do PA using OTA, you would need 4 OTA tuners and set each one to record one of the Big 4 seven days a week.

Neutron said:

This is correct also remember for these folks Primetime Anytime won't work as it requires hd locals via satellite.