Questions for the Dish Tech Team?

Would it be possible for back-to-back DVR recordings on the same channel to each be padded at the front and end? I.e. there would be identical video in each of the recordings. Right now back-to-back recordings on the same channel don't get either the front or end paddings, which can lead to the beginnings or endings of programs being in the wrong recording. It seems to me that the DVRs could write their video buffers to both recordings simultaneously in order to preserve the proper paddings.

I feel like I've done a poor job explaining this, but I'm struggling to come up with better wording. Please respond if clarification is necessary.

I understand exactly what you are saying, and I also find it frustrating. CBS and ABC do this a lot with their sitcoms - the end of one will run 15-30seconds over into the start time of the second one. Not only do you have to start the second recording to see the end of the first one, but you always lose a several second gap - which is usually a final punchline. If you made the mistake of watching the second show first - and then delete it - you later get to the end of the first show and realize you've already deleted the ending.

Would it be possible for back-to-back DVR recordings on the same channel to each be padded at the front and end? I.e. there would be identical video in each of the recordings. Right now back-to-back recordings on the same channel don't get either the front or end paddings, which can lead to the beginnings or endings of programs being in the wrong recording. It seems to me that the DVRs could write their video buffers to both recordings simultaneously in order to preserve the proper paddings.

I feel like I've done a poor job explaining this, but I'm struggling to come up with better wording. Please respond if clarification is necessary.

Nope you explained it right. Directv does it fine and records the overlap so even if I am recording back to back shows on same channel (like Pawn Stars) both timers get the padding (1 min before 1 min after)

It sounds like an easy implementation to the software

Any plans to improve Sling support (Blackberry Non-GSM phones, Playbook - come on, at least let the web player work, the browser should support it) - and why are they only allowing new software to work on the newest Slingboxes?

MoCA is not done by firmware, it's done by the chipset which none of the ViPs support.
MoCA adapters could be made available (if necessary). My question relates to the streaming elements of the Joey (authentication and transport controls) over and above the standardized networking layers.

What are the preferred dishes for each arc?

When are they going to stop rounding the guide data for the start and stop times of programs (the guide data from TMS is accurate to the minute but DISH seems to round to some much coarser time interval; DISHOnline has this same "affliction")? [thanks to Iceberg for pointing this out]

Nope you explained it right. Directv does it fine and records the overlap so even if I am recording back to back shows on same channel (like Pawn Stars) both timers get the padding (1 min before 1 min after)

It sounds like an easy implementation to the software

This is something that I have wanted for a long time - this is probably the only real problem I have with their DVR implementation.

Now that they made nice nice with TIVO, skip back, step forward and back, all trick functions would be nice to have working again.

I second that.The dvr s/w that they had prior to the tivo lawsuit imho was much better.Would love to know if they have any plans at all to return or work with tivo in the future to have a better dvr interface.

Glad to see I'm not the only one bothered by this :) One other suggestion I would have: If I'm recording on tuner 1 of a dual DVR and then start watching the recording (not live tv) from tuner 1, when I stop the recording and want to start from where I left off, my only choice (if the recording is still on-going) is to completely restart the recording and fast-forward to where I left off. Any way to fix this or work around it?

Glad to see I'm not the only one bothered by this :) One other suggestion I would have: If I'm recording on tuner 1 of a dual DVR and then start watching the recording (not live tv) from tuner 1, when I stop the recording and want to start from where I left off, my only choice (if the recording is still on-going) is to completely restart the recording and fast-forward to where I left off. Any way to fix this or work around it?
Since a recording in progress looks different than a recorded program, I doubt that keeping track of the pointer is trivial. A workaround that has proven useful on other platforms is to allow jumping to some manner of index (by run time, percentage of time or fraction of storage space).

Yes, a "jump-to" time index search would be wonderful. Treat the DVR programs like DVDs, not VCRs. Also, allow the customization of the skip forward/back times, after getting them to work properly. :)

Since a recording in progress looks different than a recorded program, I doubt that keeping track of the pointer is trivial. A workaround that has proven useful on other platforms is to allow jumping to some manner of index (by run time, percentage of time or fraction of storage space).

But if I start the same in-progress recording from the other tuner, it allows me to resume my place when viewing, so clearly that pointer is already being tracked.

I would personally like to see the "modified" signal screen actually be re-modified to read the signals in English instead of Dish. A signal strength of 50 on a scale that goes to 125.?.?.?.?:confused:

Any plans to disable on-screen television notifications of "overdue" bills the the day after the due date when in fact the bills were paid the day prior (the due date) online? Are they aware that it's happening?