Questions on Dish Installation (different than previous questions)

adamhochman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Hello,

First of all, thank you in advance for taking the time to read and possibly answer the questions in this post.

I am at the end of the road with DirecTV (their poor MPEG4 introduction, with no upgraded DVR features looks to be the last straw), and am seriously looking at the 622 with Dish (love the PIP option). Prior to buying, I had a few questions on the system for you good people. I figure you folks are 20x more knowledgable at this stuff than any CSR. I think my questions are different than other install questions previously asked-apologies for any repeats. Here are the questions. Again, any help is much appreciated:

1. I live in the Washington DC area. How can I determine (if it's possible to do so prior to the date the installer comes to my house) if I need 1 or 2 dishes? My wife has already laid down the law that we won't be having 2 dishes.

2. I'll be getting the local channels. Is it possible to get local HD channels without signing up for a HD package?

3. I've seen the price for the 1/2 room HD DVR which I'll be getting, but my 3rd room would just be a standard receiver. Is there any charge for a basic (non-DVR) receiver?

4. I'm very interested in the 1 DVR for 2 TV's (very cool). In order for this DVR to work on 2 TV's, do the TV's have to be connected by any wires? Or is it through the satellite/wall connection, or wireless? My two TV's are on different floors, and I don't want wires running through the horse or installers to tear up the walls.

5. I think I've seen the answer to this but want to confirm: if TV1 records in HD (on the two room system) and I want to play back on TV2 in SD, is that possible (downconverting I think it's called)?

6. I want my local Comcast Sportsnet (RSN). I believe this is at the AT120 level, or is at the AT60 level?

Again, thanks in advance for the answers. I look forward to joining the Dish family!

Adam

Not sure on all of them.
!, DC HD locals are on 61.5 so a second dish if you want hd locals from sat.
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/hdlocal.htm

2. over the air hd locals without a metal hd package has an extra $6 enabling fee monthly.

4.wiring is needed to connect 622 to tv2.

5. TV1 and TV2 can both playback material that has been recorded from either tuner.

6. AT120 or above.