Questions on Hopper 3

As I have stated on several threads I have a 4 port HDMI spliter, one in four out. I currently have three TVs connected to one Joey via HDMI. They all get great HD. I am sure the same is possible with components.
All of my 40 remotes (3) work just fine room to room as do my 52 remotes (2).
I can also use DishAnywhere on my computer and other devices.
My bill is still too high, but it is noticeably lower than it was two years ago.

As I have stated on several threads I have a 4 port HDMI spliter, one in four out. I currently have three TVs connected to one Joey via HDMI. They all get great HD. I am sure the same is possible with components.
My bill is still too high, but it is noticeably lower than it was two years ago.
Yep, a 1 in 4 out component splitter is available out there....

Amazon product ASIN B00CAIBQ9E

Yes - that is what I use today - the house is wired for component cables - one out of the DVR - goes to a amplified 4 way way box and then to 4 remote tv's - have one for each of my two VIP's. My issue is the opposite - new tv's only have one set of component inputs. It will cost me less to upgrade to a Hopper 3 versus buying long HDMI cables and a 4 way splitter.

So "chatted" with DISH Customer Service this afternoon. Wanted to see what the change in my monthly bill would be if I went with the Hopper in place of two VIP722's. Want to keep the VIP612 that we use in our trailer on weekends.

Sounded like a standard script that she was using. How many rooms do you want to watch tv in? Explained all I wanted was the Hopper 3 - no Joey's since my house is already wired for component cables to each room I have a tv and that we only watch one show at a time - just could be in one of several rooms. She assured me that I HAD to have a Joey for each room. We did this song and dance 3 times!

Then I was told that you cannot have any other DVR on the account with a Hopper - we have the VIP612 in our trailer. We would have to go to a non-DVR receiver. Okay - does she think the way we watch tv changes when we are away on the weekend. Never watch live tv. We typically, ,but not always record shows at home on the VIP612 before heading out for the weekend.

Does anybody know if this is true? Is there a technical reason for this? We have a DP44 switch at the dish as we used to have a 4th DVR as well.

They want $95 to bring out the Hopper and hook it up - because we don't pay the extra $9 a month for protect services. Is there something more to installing the hopper than just plugging it in? If so - does anybody know - can I sign up for the $9 monthly fee - order the hopped then cancel it after it is installed?
I don't mind paying the $100 for the Hopper, but $200 has me thinking it is time to change to DTV for a couple years.

Call your local DISH retailer if you have a good one. We do $100 H3 upgrades all the time. :)

How would I find a local DISH retailer in my area? I've only ever used the ones that DISH sends out. Last time was several years ago when they changed the dish to the eastern arc.

Then I was told that you cannot have any other DVR on the account with a Hopper - we have the VIP612 in our trailer. We would have to go to a non-DVR receiver. Okay - does she think the way we watch tv changes when we are away on the weekend. Never watch live tv. We typically, ,but not always record shows at home on the VIP612 before heading out for the weekend.
I would recommend a Wally for the trailer. A Wally is a non-DVR, but it can be upgraded to a DVR by adding an external hard drive. If you also want to record OTA antenna channels in the trailer, you would also need the USB OTA adapter, or I would recommend using a ViP211/ViP211k instead of the Wally in that case, since those models of ViP receivers have the OTA tuner built-in.

You might be happy with a HopperGO and no ViP or Wally.
Or just transfer the recordings to any compatible tablet to take with you. Can the HopperGO make new recordings, or is it only for taking existing recordings with you? I think bobandgeri said that they sometimes want to record shows while they are in the trailer.

Pulled the trigger - going with a Hopper 3 - install on Thur morning

Called the standard number for DISH and got a regular customer service rep.

Ended up with:
a $50 upfront charge
No commitment
No install charge
Free protect plan for 6 months

So now a question - coming from two VIP722's - will there be anyway to transfer DVR records to the Hopper 3 (each of my 722's have an external hard drive) or do I need to watch a lot of tv between now and then?

Pulled the trigger - going with a Hopper 3 - install on Thur morning

Called the standard number for DISH and got a regular customer service rep.

Ended up with:
a $50 upfront charge
No commitment
No install charge
Free protect plan for 6 months

So now a question - coming from two VIP722's - will there be anyway to transfer DVR records to the Hopper 3 (each of my 722's have an external hard drive) or do I need to watch a lot of tv between now and then?
Just put any recordings from the 722s that you want to keep on to those EHDs and they will work just fine on your new Hopper 3. Allow about 3 days for that new Hopper to settle in and then plug the EHDs in.

Reactions: ncted
Just put any recordings from the 722s that you want to keep on to those EHDs and they will work just fine on your new Hopper 3. Allow about 3 days for that new Hopper to settle in and then plug the EHDs in.

Thanks!

Y

Under CUI, if I start to type in a program name, a list of programs appear. But if I keep typing , and there is no program with that name in the schedule, we're out of luck. It used to be that you could add that name to the recordings list anyway, and when at some future date it appeared on the schedule, it would be recorded. :D
I have a Hopper 3 and just did a search for a film called Air Force. It is not on the 9 day guide and I got an option to "Record when Available" It popped up on the right side after I entered "Air F" in the search. The search did not find it on my EHD. It use to do that.

The H3 has one each of the following outputs:
HDMI
Component
Composite

You can hook up switches to determine which TV you wish to feed. To feed all at once- there are component and composite splitters. You can do that today with coax splitters.

If you move to a Hopper, you will lose 4x forward and reverse. You will lose NBR. Operation will not be as stable. Etc. etc. etc. All due to Dish putting out something called the CUI. It is a big step backwards.

You can read the many threads on this.

Since you will actually lose functionality now by moving to a Hopper, I must recommend you stick to your ViP722s. IF - and I do mean IF Dish ever restores this lost functionality, THEN and ONLY then might you consider moving to the Hopper. Expectations and "promises" mean nothing. Don't move until the features you want are "in the wild."

Otherwise, keep the ViPs until they rust out. Then you'll be forced to the Hopper series. And then you can consider if you want that, or Dish has outlived its usefulness.

I'm not sure why you would be telling her this because the hopper, has up to 300 frames forward and backwards and there is no way that it is a downgrade in anyway going from a VIP system to a hopper system. For example you're leaving out the fact that her entire house is now one system where any recording can be watched in any room in that instead of wire Joey she can have wireless Joey's that can be moved from room to room without losing any functionality, not to mention the fact that all of her TVs will be high definition not including any that are mirrored. Mirroring TV is off of a hopper is not like off a VIP system I admit what can be accomplished in the same way with an RF modulator

I'm not sure why you would be telling her this because the hopper, has up to 300 frames forward and backwards and there is no way that it is a downgrade in anyway going from a VIP system to a hopper system.
Recording management by tiles rather than list is another one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)