Questions on upgrading equipment / new lines

stevenmh

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Lynchburg, VA
I could use some help. We currently have a 722k in our home feeding two TVs. We are interested in getting service to a third TV and are planning to use a Hopper 3 and a couple Joeys.

I just had a chat with Dish and it was slightly frustrating. I explained that I'd like both Joeys to be wired, but that the third TV might be difficult and would be willing to try a wireless Joey if it couldn't be done, so just make sure to have both on the truck and I'd go through the options with the tech. She says he won't have both, he'll have what I order. I asked how do I know what to order in advance of talking to the tech, and she suggests I could have a retailer come out and take a look before placing the order. So then I ask whether I would then place the order through the retailer or call back to Dish. She says call back to Dish. So then I ask why a retailer would come to my house and help me work it out when I won't be giving him any business. She didn't have an answer. I could offer to pay for a retailer's tech time for a consult, but according to the Dish website there are no retailers in my town. I'd have to pay for a couple hours of travel on top of the time on site.

So, my specific questions are:

(1) Can the techs pretty much do anything you need them to do with wiring? I think the only option to wire my third TV is up the exterior wall, thru the wall into the attic, across the house, fish down the wall and install a coax outlet on the wall. I'd rather pay for that than deal with any potential conflicts between the Hopper/Joey AC network and my existing AC network which would be in close vicinity. I move large files from my laptop and don't want to see a speed drop there.

(2) Generally speaking, and just for my own knowledge, what is the point of a Dish retailer? I know Dish will contract them to perform installations, but why be open to the public if Dish says don't order through them? Or is it only existing customers that aren't supposed to go through retailers?

(3) I've been with Dish since 2009 I think. Currently have the Welcome Package and am staying with that. Is there any reason to think my existing dish wouldn't be compatible with the new Hopper / Joeys? There were originally 2 lines coming into a box mounted on my house with the nodes. A year or so ago an installer knocked on my door and said he was doing my neighbor's installation and wanted to come off our Dish. So now there are three lines leaving my dish, two to my house, one to his. Will I need that third line now for the new setup, or will this in any way mess up my neighbor?

1: Within reason, but there could be extra charge. Set the order up for two Joeys and one wireless Joey to make sure the equipment is on the truck, then tell the tech you only need the two locations.

2: Never dealt with a retailer here, but pretty sure you can upgrade through one, again there could be a cost factor.

3: The neighbor will have a problem. Currently, an H3 cannot share the Dish with any other receiver. Only one cable is needed from the Dish, so your wiring will be fine. You're neighbor will be out of luck and need their own Dish installed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)