Questions on upgrading system

willie3

Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
I am considering making some changes to my satellite system. I currently have a legacy quad LNBF, a 721, a 508, and a 4700. I am wanting to move the 721 to a room with only one line run to the TV. I would also like to replace the 4700 with a 625 to feed tvs in two different rooms. This means I will have five tuners that need to have input. I would also like to run the 721 off of the one line already run into that room (it would be difficult to get another line in that room).

I wanted to get some input on the best way to change my system for the above. I would also be interested in a guess at how much the new switches or LNBF would cost if possible.

If anyone knows how much Dish Network would charge for the new receiver (is only available through a lease?) I would also be interested in that information.

I have considered cable (Insight), but I'm not sure how much I would like their DVRs (and their price). I find the Dish Network equipment has a lot of features that I would miss if not included on the cable equipment. Does anyone have any experience in chnaging from Dish to Insight?

Thanks in advance.

What kind of Dish(s) do you have? I assume it's a Dish500 with that legacy quad.

If that's the case, you'd want to replace the quad with a DishPro Twin LNB and a DishProPlus44 switch. Then you could have a single line to each of the 3 receiver locations plus have room for a 4th for future expansion. You can find these LNB's and switches at any of the satellite stores like dishdepot.com, dishstore.net, etc. or you can buy off ebay.

By the way, you'd also need DishProPlus separators for the 721 and 625. The 625 will probably come with one so you'd need to buy one for your 721 although they are the cheapest part of this upgrade by far (less than $10).

I bought a new 625 on ebay in February for $187.50 although I've seen people buy them cheaper than that since then. You can also go the lease route for $5/month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts