Questions on Wiring a Voom+DTV+OTA System

angusdavis

Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Hello,
I am moving to a new home and want to keep my current DirecTV service, receive OTA ATSC, and get Voom. I am not an expert at multiplexers, diplexers, 5x8s, etc., but I think I understand the basic concepts. Since this is a retrofit installation, my main concern is reducing the number of wires.

I think I end up with three pieces of hardware on the roof:
1. Big new Voom dish, capable of receiving AMC-6 satellite come October;
2. Whatever DirecTV dish is required to get me all the LNBs I can possibly ever need (I believe the largest is a 3-LNB system?)
3. OTA antenna for UHF DTV and FM, probably the ChannnelMaster Stealth 3010 or a similar product from Terk (I am less than 15 miles from all three networks)

HOW TO WIRE FROM THE ROOF?
I need to get the signals from all these LNBs and anntanae into my central wiring closet somehow. That is the first problem and my question is -- how will this work? Is there a way to do it such that I can get everything from the roof to the closet using just two RG6 cables, or will I need more cables? I also want the option of amplifying the OTA antenna, so I will need compatible multiswitches, or the option of putting an amp in the attic closer to the antenna than the wiring closet. I suppose the cleanest solution would be one that allowed me to amplify and distribute the OTA antenna feed before it was diplexed into the two DBS head-end feeds.?

HOW TO DISTRIBUTE FROM THE CLOSET?
Once I have the roof source signals into the wiring closet, I want to distribute to the following set-top boxes: 2 Voom set-tops, with integrated OTA/ATSC; 3 HiDef DTV set-tops, also with integrated OTA/ATSC. Let's assume one of the DTV set-tops is the HD-TiVo unit (once they fix their HDMI problems), which allows dual-DBS and dual-OTA inputs thanks to its four integrated tuners. That means a total of 4 DTV tuners, 2 Voom tuners and 5 OTA/ATSC tuners, with the option of expanding the number of Voom tuners from 2 to 3 when their PVR solution comes out.

I would greatly appreciate advice on any/all of the above... Also, I am not shy about spending some money to keep the quality of the signals up, so please share your thoughts on issues such as preferred suppliers and models of multiswitches, distribution amps, etc.

well, lets talk about the obvious cable runs necessary for your task. thinking this way offers the most flexible for expansion purposes. (1) the direct tv collector that targets all 3 orbitals would have a maximum of 4 coaxes out. (2) you'll need 1 for the OTA and if you want that antenna to move positions a colroter cable also. (3) you say you'll have 3 HD sets and, to be safe, would recommend at least one coax for each of those. Take all these coaxes to the distribution closet for a total of 8 RG6 and one set of col-rotor wire. Someone else could correct or make modifications to my suggestion. Especially in regards to how Voom plans on incorporating AMC satellite in the future.

From the closet to the respective viewing areas...2 coaxes each and the col-rotor wire to the set most frequently seen.

You did not say all these just for a one room or multi-rooms. I think you will spent quite a cost for multi-rooms. Its no short cut from dish at roof to your distributing closet.

I guess what I am asking is can't I use a multiswitch on the dish-to-closet runs to minimize the number of RG6 wires running down my house, or will I really need to have 4 RG6's coming down the side of the roof from the DirecTV dish alone? Similarly, can I use a multiswitch in the closet to minimize the number of RG6 wires run from the head-end to the individual set-top boxes around the house, such that I could light any room with complete DirectTV, ATSC/OTA and Voom coverage with just 2 RG6's run to that room? And yes, the set-tops mentioned will be in different rooms, there will be 3 rooms, 2 of which will have Voom set-tops and 3 of which will only have DTV set-tops.

angusdavis said:
I guess what I am asking is can't I use a multiswitch on the dish-to-closet runs to minimize the number of RG6 wires running down my house, or will I really need to have 4 RG6's coming down the side of the roof from the DirecTV dish alone?
Are you suggesting to move the multiswitch(es) from the roof to the closet? This won't help much, since you would have to run two cables from each LNB (one for each polarity).

Sorry, I guess I am not being clear.

My question is simple. Are there any techniques or approaches or products that I can use so that I minimize the number of RG-6 wires running from my roof to my central distribution closet? Second, what should I do to mimize the number of RG-6 wires running from my distribution closet to my 3 televisions? The context is that I want to watch Voom, DirecTV and over-the-air HDTV on all 3 TVs, and I do not want to compromise on which stations I am able to receive -- I want to be able to receive every station.

What is the "traditional" wiring for this sort of setup and then what is the alternative wiring option that would allow me to do what I want to do with fewer wires?

Since this is a retrofit not a new-home construction, I want to minimize the amount of wiring I have to snake, and I want to minimize ugly cables on the outside of my house. That's the motivation for my question. Thanks.

A professional installer would give you a better advice, but since no one responded, I'll give it a shot.
1. You can easily combine your OTA antenna cable with one of your satellites cables. This is what a standard diplexer or a 3x4 multi-switch will do. For example, a typical VOOM installation combines OTA and satellite via diplexers.
2. Combining multiple satellite cables in one is a much more difficult task. I saw some special diplexers on the Internet that do just that, but I don't know much about these products. I bet they are expensive.
3. If you are not combining multiple satellite cables, basically you have two options: run a separate RG6 for each LNB (you currently need two for VOOM alone) and distribute them in your closet using multi-switches, or you can put multi-switches on the roof and run a separate set of cables to each of your TV sets from the roof. In either case you will have to run quite a few RG6s!
4. How many cables do you need for each TV set? It depends on how many tuners you are going to have. For example, VOOM currently has one satellite tuner in its STB, so only one RG6 is required for VOOM+OTA. The upcoming VOOM DVR will require two RG6 cables.
5. VOOM has announced a multi-room "network" solution that will help minimize the number of cables. You will be able to have one dual-tuner receiver/DVR that will serve multiple rooms via a single RG6 going to each additional room. Of course this will not help you with D*.

I hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)