Quetzsat 1 Successfully Launched!

Isn't 77 allocated to Mexico? Does Echostar have to ask Mexico, also?

The US licenses for 77W are only to communicate with a foreign satellite at a specific location. Echostar 8 was transferred to Quetzsat control when it moved to 77W. So, Quetzsat would be making any required requests to COFETEL (Mexico FCC)

Unknown they are still testing. If there is a problem with it try will need to file that there is an issue, which they have not done.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

I would imahgine it is getting hard to find a place to park up there!

not really. the circumference of the clarke belt is about 130000 miles. one degree of arc is about 370 miles.

i don't have access to the dimensional specs but there is quite a bit of space in outer space.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Way back before the delayed launch, the filings were made for up to 30 days of testing at 67.1W and the FCC license was issued with specific dates. Then, the launch delay led to delayed testing and the need to extend the test licenses.

They started their tests around Oct 12, so if all went according to their plans, they should finish up by the 10th or earlier. If it does not start moving by then, they had complications.

Next, it moves 10 degrees west. If the need is urgent, they will use up extra fuel to raise it to a higher orbit and move west faster.

If they want to save fuel and have no urgent need to get it online, they will bump it up just a little and slowly move west.

It will probably move somewhere in to range of 0.25 and 2.0 degrees per day (between 5 and 40 days to arrive at 77W after testing is complete).

My guess is that testing it @ 77 could cause interference with other satellite broadcasting in the same area.

From Echostar's 2011 3rd quarter 10Q. Emphasis added.

"Under the terms of the QuetzSat-1 Transponder Agreement, DISH Network will make certain monthly payments to us commencing when the QuetzSat-1 satellite is placed into service at the 77 degree orbital location and continuing through the service term. However, we are currently evaluating alternative uses for the QuetzSat-1 satellite. Unless earlier terminated under the terms and conditions of the QuetzSat-1 Transponder Agreement, the service term will expire ten years following the actual service commencement date. Upon expiration of the initial term, DISH Network has the option to renew the QuetzSat-1 Transponder Agreement on a year-to-year basis through the end of life of the QuetzSat-1 satellite. Upon a launch failure, in-orbit failure or end of life of the QuetzSat-1 satellite, and in certain other circumstances, DISH Network has certain rights to receive service from us on a replacement satellite. There can be no assurance that any options to renew this agreement will be exercised or that DISH Network will exercise its option to receive service on a replacement satellite.

From Echostar's 2011 3rd quarter 10Q. Emphasis added.

"Under the terms of the QuetzSat-1 Transponder Agreement, DISH Network will make certain monthly payments to us commencing when the QuetzSat-1 satellite is placed into service at the 77 degree orbital location and continuing through the service term. However, we are currently evaluating alternative uses for the QuetzSat-1 satellite. Unless earlier terminated under the terms and conditions of the QuetzSat-1 Transponder Agreement, the service term will expire ten years following the actual service commencement date. Upon expiration of the initial term, DISH Network has the option to renew the QuetzSat-1 Transponder Agreement on a year-to-year basis through the end of life of the QuetzSat-1 satellite. Upon a launch failure, in-orbit failure or end of life of the QuetzSat-1 satellite, and in certain other circumstances, DISH Network has certain rights to receive service from us on a replacement satellite. There can be no assurance that any options to renew this agreement will be exercised or that DISH Network will exercise its option to receive service on a replacement satellite.

Suspicious I am.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)