Quick: 4K Joey vs. Joey 2.0 w/ Hopper 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PianoPlayer07

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Tennnessee
I've tried searching the forum and didn't find much about this, so sorry if it's been discussed in detail already.

I need some quick input on what would be the better option to take for a Joey paired with Hopper 3: the 4K or 2.0? I have no interest in PiP, but I do understand the 4K does not have Netflix yet? I was mainly interested in the 4K for the speed (something that has always bugged me with the original Joey), but if it is going to be neglected in terms of features and support, I may want to stray from it. Is there a significant difference in speed? Is there a timeline for Netflix support, or is it a lost cause? Fees aside, which would you go with if faced with the option?

The only advantage that I can see would be if you were connecting to a 4K TV and you want to watch 4K content. However, there is very little 4K content on Dish. No one has any idea when or if Netflex will allow their content on the Joey 4K. The Joey 2 has no speed issues.

Reactions: navychop
I was under the impression that the 4K Joey was faster, and noticeably so, than a Joey 2.0, but some folks here who have used both or install them say the difference in negligible.

If you use Netflix, get the Joey 2. It's inexcusable that it has taken this long to get it working. There's something else going on vs the "get certified by Netflix" story. I wonder if it will ever get it....

I have a Hopper 3 with 2 4K Joeys and 1 Joey 2.0. I don't have any 4K TVs so the only reason I spent the 50 bucks up front for the 4K Joeys was for the speed. In my setup, navigating the 4K Joeys is like sitting in front of the Hopper. They are much faster than the Joey 2.0 which is tucked away in a guest bedroom. For me, having the speedier box outweighed the lack of Netflix. Your mileage may differ in acceptable performance. I don't know if I could go to slower Joey 2.0s on main TVs after having the hopper 3/4K Joeys. However, Joey 2.0s are faster than the Joeys 1.0s I had with my old setup.

I got a wireless joey the speed is about the same as a joey 2.0, still slow in my opinion.

Agreed. Both the Wireless Joey and Joey 2 are much more usable, in comparison to the nearly worthless Joey 1, but neither are speed-demons by any stretch.

Just bought a 4K TV and thinking of replacing my wired Joey 2.0 with the Joey 4K. Does the Joey 4K cost $50 to add?

Just bought a 4K TV and thinking of replacing my wired Joey 2.0 with the Joey 4K. Does the Joey 4K cost $50 to add?
Yes, it does. Keep in mind that, today, you don't get Netflix on the 4K Joey. That paired with the minimal 4K programming on Dish makes it not the best investment. That could very well change tomorrow though....

Pricing varies, based on the customer's "history" with Dish. Some people get them for free, others pay $50, others pay full retail price. You really have to call (or chat) and ask.

Interesting. I have 1 wireless Joey and 1 regular one. I was thinking about replacing the wired one with wireless. I wonder if it would still be $50

Reactions: charlesrshell
Does the 4k joey have the swap or pip feature?
I find myself pausing tv, then swapping with the input button to something else. Then returning to my paused show. Does the 4k joey do anything like that? New 4k set and soundbase in my living room, and starting enjoying tv in that location.

Thanks for the time.

It was supposed to.... It was supposed to have Netflix two. It's only been coming for 2+ years though so people need to be patient. I'm sure it will show up someday ! :p

Reactions: littlecloud319

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)