Quick Emergency question: 97.0W which is the EPG channel?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkanet

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
North California
I'm configuring my PC software to pull the EPG data from the Galaxy 19 97.0W satellite. However, I need to know which channel it is. I did several searches, but nothing obvious.

Edit: Warning, I am very new to this, so if it doesnt work the way I think it works, my appologies in advance. My understanding is that there's one channel on the lineup that provides EPG data that can be used by receivers, PC, etc.

Thanks,
MKANET

Last edited:
I am guessing the EPG data might be available on all the channels on the satellite. Not sure if there's a reserved channel dedicated for STB's to get their guide data. I'm guessing this might be a relatively advanced question or the 23 other people viewing this quick emergency call for help would have already answered the question :) Good thing I asked, then other people can know as well.

I'm configuring my PC software to pull the EPG data from the Galaxy 19 97.0W satellite. However, I need to know which channel it is. I did several searches, but nothing obvious.

Edit: Warning, I am very new to this, so if it doesnt work the way I think it works, my appologies in advance. My understanding is that there's one channel on the lineup that provides EPG data that can be used by receivers, PC, etc.

Thanks,
MKANET
The info you wrote only applies to Dish Network/Bell ExpressVu satellites.

EPG data is usually carried in the transponders that the channel is carried on.
Most FTA does NOT have EPG.

On 97W I've seen EPG occasionally-to-rarely on the following English channels:
11789 V 28125 MHz Worldwide
11898 V 22000 Setanta Sports (Not FTA)
12152 H 20000 Russia Today is the most constant I've seen but I don't see any right now

I usually see non-English/Latin-based Guide data on this transponder with non-English channels:
12090 H 20000

Aha... thanks. Although, its not good news, its a very complete answer!

Thanks again,
MKANET

12152 H 20000 Russia Today is the most constant I've seen but I don't see any right now

I usually see non-English/Latin-based Guide data on this transponder with non-English channels:
12090 H 20000

I just had an idea, you mentioned that this data isn't always there; which is quite alright. As long as there's a certain time of the day or week that I can pull it from a channel, I'll be fine. If I had to depend on one channel to provide program data for all the channels on that satellite which channel and what time of the day or day of the week should I have an automated attempt to popular the EPG?

Thanks again!

12090 H 20000

Let me put it this way:
From January 2009 to June 12th, 2009 I saw guide data pop-up on a transponder about one week out of a month. Usually enough for one day on MHz Worldwide; about a week on RT.

Since June 12th, RT had a weeks worth of EPG populated from the last week in July until the fourth week in August.
The third week in August, Setanta had the EPG populated for about 36 Hours for the week.
MHz Worldwide had EPG guide data twice for Now/Next in August.
Since then I haven't seen EPG data on any of them.

I meant what I said, EPG data is rare; Usually poorly maintained.

EDIT: DON'T PM FOR SUPPORT QUESTIONS JUST BECAUSE I'M THE ONLY ONE ANSWERING!

Oh okay, its about as useful as PSIP EPG information for ATSC OTA broadcasts :)

Now... If I can figure out where online to get this data to be imported into DVB Viewer, then exported to sageTV, I'll be set.

Thanks for your information.

Let me put it this way:
From January 2009 to June 12th, 2009 I saw guide data pop-up on a transponder about one week out of a month. Usually enough for one day on MHz Worldwide; about a week on RT.

Since June 12th, RT had a weeks worth of EPG populated from the last week in July until the fourth week in August.
The third week in August, Setanta had the EPG populated for about 36 Hours for the week.
MHz Worldwide had EPG guide data twice for Now/Next in August.
Since then I haven't seen EPG data on any of them.

I meant what I said, EPG data is rare; Usually poorly maintained.

mkanet: It's not like all those 230+channels on 97 are owned by one entity, so there would not likely be one place to find ALL epg info that existed for every channel on that satellite, if there is any (consistently). The satellite is just a carrier, unlike the Pay-tv services' satellites, where the tv service may own the entire satellite and most/all of its transponders.
Hope you find what you want, but I don't believe it's going to come from one place.

The FCC mandated what comes equivalent to 12 hours minimum populated EPG data
The local NBC, OPB, and Fox slack from time to time round here.
When I used MythTV, I ran the EPG update about 4-5pm to ensure always got my shows.

Now... If I can figure out where online to get this data to be imported into DVB Viewer, then exported to sageTV, I'll be set.

Event Information Table (EIT) data is rarely sent for FTA channels. I think Globecast is one of the rare exceptions since they are a DTH provider so they have some incentive to provide EIT for their customers.

A tool like TSReader can be used (with compatible hardware) to see whether any EIT data is provided on a specific transponder.

For some information about guide data on your computer check these two threads:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-pc-dvb-discussion/182911-sagetv-fta-epg-channels-database.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-pc-dvb-discussion/184637-web-based-epg-scheduler.html

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts