Quick Help with New Install!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Trav

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
My installer is here to install D*. I have an oval triple LNB dish as well as an 18" round dish for locals. I also have a 6x8 multi-switch. Here are my questions:

1) The oval dish instructions say that there is a multi-switch built in. Do I still need the additional switch? How many wires will be running down my house? Does each wire coming out of the oval dish have all 3 sattellites or do I still need all of the wires hooked into the seperate multi-switch?

2) How does the round 18" fit it? Is that why I need the multi-switch? If so, how many wires need to go into the multi-switch altogether?

The installer didn't seem sure how to do the installation, which is not good. He's putting the dishes together right now.

Right now, there's a dish already on my roof from Dish Network with 3 wires coming down into my basement hooked into a multi-switch. What will be different with D* in this respect? Since the dish has a multi-switch built-in, will only 1 wire need to come down from each of the D* dishes?

Thanks!

Trav said:
My installer is here to install D*. I have an oval triple LNB dish as well as an 18" round dish for locals. I also have a 6x8 multi-switch. Here are my questions:

1) The oval dish instructions say that there is a multi-switch built in. Do I still need the additional switch? How many wires will be running down my house? Does each wire coming out of the oval dish have all 3 sattellites or do I still need all of the wires hooked into the seperate multi-switch?
yes you need the exstra switch. 4 lines run from the Phase III multiswitch and the 18" dish has the other 2
2) How does the round 18" fit it? Is that why I need the multi-switch? If so, how many wires need to go into the multi-switch altogether?
yes...6 lines to the switch
The installer didn't seem sure how to do the installation, which is not good. He's putting the dishes together right now.
no that isn't
Right now, there's a dish already on my roof from Dish Network with 3 wires coming down into my basement hooked into a multi-switch. What will be different with D* in this respect? Since the dish has a multi-switch built-in, will only 1 wire need to come down from each of the D* dishes?
nope. You will need 6 wires

The switch has inputs that are 0, 22 and flex.
The 4 lines from the Phase III go to 0 & 22
The 2 lines from the 18" go to flex

Iceberg said:
yes you need the exstra switch. 4 lines run from the Phase III multiswitch and the 18" dish has the other 2

yes...6 lines to the switch

no that isn't

nope. You will need 6 wires

The switch has inputs that are 0, 22 and flex.
The 4 lines from the Phase III go to 0 & 22
The 2 lines from the 18" go to flex

Thanks a bunch! That clears things up nicely. Just out of curiosity, why does the D* dish need 4 wires from it while the E* Super Dish only needs 3?

Thankfully, I have some of the work prepped for him. I already have the receivers hooked up and he doesn't have to worry about a phone line or anything. He'll just need to remove the E* dish, replace it with the D* dish, install the second dish for locals, run the extra wire for the Phase III dish and run a new wire for the second dish + replace the multiswitch.

Thanks again.

Dish uses DishPro technology for the SuperDish, which combines Vertical and Horizontal polarities on one wire. DirecTv doesn't. Thats why when you have more than 2 receivers (or more than one satellite spot) you need a multiswitch

Dish use to be the same way when they used Legacy....6 lines for 3 satellite spots
yours is 6 lines for 4 satellite spots :)

The 6x8 switch could be mounted outside...then you may be able to have less wires going into the house

Okay, we're hooked up. What should the signal strenght be from the transponders?

Whew! Everything went fine. Thanks for the help.

The only thing not working is HDMI output to my RCA DLP HDTV. But I'm going to post a question about that in the DVR forum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)