Quick newbie question

WakeBdr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Cumming, GA
I just got Dish installed and have a 522 and 322. When I turn the tv's on for the first time each day, there is a Dish screen that says "Press select to continue." Is there any way to get rid of that? It's very annoying when I turn the tv on at the tv and not by the remote.

WakeBdr said:
I just got Dish installed and have a 522 and 322. When I turn the tv's on for the first time each day, there is a Dish screen that says "Press select to continue." Is there any way to get rid of that? It's very annoying when I turn the tv on at the tv and not by the remote.

It's a screensaver just like your computer screensaver. Unlike your computer screensaver Dish has not allowed a way to turn it off. Yes--I agree it's very annoying.

cheers.

It will become a serious problem if you record programs. You have to make sure you turn the receiver completely off or it will record the screensaver.

chaddux said:
It will become a serious problem if you record programs. You have to make sure you turn the receiver completely off or it will record the screensaver.

HUH? never had that happen.. is this a bug in 2.05?

I recorded something the other day at 1pm after my receiver had been off since about 11pm the night before and I didn't get the screensaver.

Eastern OR said:
It's a screensaver just like your computer screensaver. Unlike your computer screensaver Dish has not allowed a way to turn it off. Yes--I agree it's very annoying.

After how long does it come on? I was looking at upgrading, but not if that's going to be happening. Saturdays I tune the receiver to ESPN, and putter around the house all day.

Assuming the 522 & 322 work the same as the other models, it also means you are not turning off your receivers. That's not an entirely bad thing, but if you don't leave them off in the wee hours of the morning, you might miss a software update. If you were to turn them off, then of course you'd have to turn them on along with the TV, but you would not have the "select to continue" screensaver.

The 522 (mine, at least) shows the screen saver in the following cases:
  • Turning the receiver (or respective tuner if dual mode) off
  • After the scheduled daily guide/software update (if daily updates enabled) - it actually turns itself off
  • Sitting idle for a few minutes during an interactive app
I know mine doesn't automatically enter the screen saver while idly watching TV for any length of time. Also, I've never had a recording get the screen saver as chaddux reported. Could you provide more details on when that happened to you?

WakeBdr, it just sounds like you have automatic daily guide updates enabled. Those default to early morning (3am I believe) so that would explain why the screen saver is back on each day when you first turn the TV(s) on.