Quick Poll

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Are you jumping ship?

• Yes Im calling up another service provider now

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • No, I can care less

Votes: 136 52.7%
  • No, Im stuck in a contract

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • yes, as soon as my contract is up

Votes: 49 19.0%

• Total voters
I do care

It would take more than a few HD channels that I don't watch to get me to switch. I would like USA and Travel Channel but I am patient and I know we will get them soon. I have 2 EHD's full of stuff I don't have time to watch now. Any more and I won't be able to leave the house.

When does amc 14 go up again? I am curious since I see Directv has a March date now for their Directv 11 sat.

March: AMC-14
launcher: Proton M / Briz M
launch site: Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan
mission: commercial communications satellite

I found that here.. launch schedule - the most comprehensive list of future launches on the web

Scroll down lower to June and find..
June: Echostar 11

I wish they were showing exact dates on these but they are not. I also hope they stay on schedule.

As far as the poll goes, I too can't vote as my choice is not there. I would vote to give them till summer and then I might be leaving.

I'm staying with Dish, because I don't feel like doing Business with the BBB to get anything accomplished with Direct TV. For those jumping to DTV the California BBB are nice people over there I'm sure you will get to know them sometime. :)

No, I am not jumping ship. Instead, I will drop to HD Essentials and watch the new seasons of Monk, Psych, and Law and Order Criminal Intent as HD reruns on NBC (thanks to the writers' strike).

I voted for "No, Im stuck in a contract" but in all honesty I could care less if Directv has better and more HD programming. I'm not paying for the startup of 2 HD DVRs.

I'm not jumping ship yet, been with DISH since 97, but I'm also not advocating as strongly as I used to my friends about the service! The ones that are interested in going from cable to satellite I have actually been telling them to look at DirectTV first.

I am giving E* until late summer.

If no real progress by then, I will take the Sunday Ticket promo, that D* offers for new Subs...

No, I can care less because my wife truly enjoys the one international channel we subscribe to along with one public information channel that comes along free with our regular subscription. I'm more then satisfied with the current prime time shows I watch in HD both off the air and off the satellite and doubt I could find the spare time to watch much more.

March: AMC-14

I found that here.. launch schedule - the most comprehensive list of future launches on the web

Scroll down lower to June and find..
June: Echostar 11

I wish they were showing exact dates on these but they are not. I also hope they stay on schedule.

As far as the poll goes, I too can't vote as my choice is not there. I would vote to give them till summer and then I might be leaving.

THanks for the link. AT least Echostar is mentioned. :)

Never watch USA now. Only occasionally watch Sci-Fi.....so, really could care less at this point. If I thought Dish was not going to add any HD, that'd be a different story, but I know that it's just a matter of time. No different, really, than where Direct subs were only a few months ago.

need more voting buttons:) w/ the writer's strike and football coming to a close, my dvr's almost empty. at this point, if I jump ship it will be for whoever gets my locals in HD. my OTA is spotty at best.

i still believe that dish will "catch up" w/ the d*. after all... they used to be in the lead.

you look at any new consumer level technology and this is the type of battle that you see. in the end, the angst is good for the consumer. so, be happy there is a battle for who is the best! the consumer will win in the end!

And this 34% amounts to......all of 49 people. This is not, in any sense, a statistically valid random sample....that is, this 34% has no relationship to the Dish subscriber base as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I want Dish to keep up with all the HD that's available, but I Don't think Dish needs to panic yet :)

at the time of this posting its 57

So we take 57 times the average bill of americas top 200 at 42.99 add hd at 20. total bill being 62.99 before any other charges. Im sure that you all have 4 tv's in your house, like mine I would have another DVR. So we add another 5 for dvr fees and 5 for the extra dual tuner. 72.99 before taxes.

That number, 72.99 times 57 eqals 4,160.43, if my math is right. Thats all profit that dish looses. times that over the year, Thats 49925.16 every year. Now if a coustomer tells another that dish sucks,... The money keeps adding up as lost service.

I said this else where but I will say it again. When DISH had more hd for two years I don't recall seeing that many people leave Directv and posting as such. I guess the NFl Sunday ticket seemed to have tided them over in the years when no new hd was forthcoming. Why do certain people keep posting these kind of posts trying to bait people into switching to the opposite providers? It is almost like they need to belong to a large group of like minded subs who have switched, to justify their choice in switching to the other provider.

I do understand that there are some new hd channels but a lot of what we are seeing on both DISH and Directv is stretched to fill , upconverted sd . They aren't doing a lot of full hd all the time without a lot of repeats. I think this year we will see more REAL hd more of the day then what we are seeing now. Each year from this point on this will improve. I would love to have the options of more hd channels like Directv has today, but I still do not want the cost of leasing all the receivers I have today with DISH that I own. Also the DIrectv Receivers are not as good < IN my opinion> as the DISH 622/722 dvrs. I also don't like the guides or layout of the channels with DIRECTV either. The channel layout was layed out by a drunk if you ask me. NO rhyme or reason and no organization of like minded channels at all. Sports channels are all over the guide. The no ota tuners built in on the latest hd dvr seems to be quite a stupid move. Yes I know that they have a ota add on box but once again they are charging $59.00 just for this one add on. Directv DOES have superior online videos though while DISHonline sucks the big one.

I do have a directv sd receiver for the one channel 101 and show " Passions" soap, that my wife likes. THey seem really clunky in comparison to DISH's latest receivers. THe funniest thing is that about 3 or 4 years ago, this was the opposite with DISH and Directv. DISH had the clunky digital vcrs and DIRECTV had the superior Tivo interface. IF only I could have a great Echostar receiver like DISH has today with the 722 and combine that with the great lineup of hd channels that Directv has today,I would be in hog heaven. Maybe someday Directv will actually use Echostar branded dvrs and I can get my wish. Until then I will stay with DISH.

By years end I think this conversation will have changed and we will see people saying :"Why isn't Directv adding any more hd channels than DISH?" and" Why isn't all of Directv channels in full mpeg 4 like DISH is today? " I would love to see the posts made then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)