Quick question

maxkil41

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
I am looking at a sony lcd 1080i or mitsubshi dlp 1080p. both are 1,600.
Which one should I buy?

Thanks for the help.

I am looking at a sony lcd 1080i or mitsubshi dlp 1080p. both are 1,600.
Which one should I buy?
LCD can't be interlaced.
The TVs input can be limited to 1080/60i but the picture you see will always be progressive.
What are the model numbers of both?

Both technologies have pros/cons. If you don't see rainbows, I'd buy dlp.

Diogen.

Load up on bulbs. About $200-$250 each. When people buy these tvs they rarely take this into consideration.

I went with an lcd Samsung I found at circuit city. it is a 1080p. got it for 1,750.
Thanks for the input.

Load up on bulbs. About $200-$250 each. When people buy these tvs they rarely take this into consideration.

Very true, but when you replace the bulb, you also get back the original brightness of the set. By the time I retired my previous CRT projector (Sony 53XBR35), it was very dim. Consider that it cost $3500 and lasted 10 years, I was paying $350/year for use.

My current Toshiba projector (56HM66) cost $1100. Figure a bulb every 2 years. That means a 10 year bulb cost of $1k. Add the original cost and you end up with a yearly cost of $210/year, with a better average performance.

Shop around for bulbs you can find them for much less them $250.

Not usually. The typical mark up is 10%. You may be able to find some kind of 3rd party bulb or a rebuild for a little less but no "much less". For the price difference I would go with an original branded part.

Also remember to consider cleaning the mirror / mirrors and lense when replacing the bulb, sometimes this can make a bigger difference then changing out the bulb.

Also, dont wait for the bulb to die. A general rule of thumb is to change the bulb at 70% of its life, where the bulb has decreased in light out put by 30%.

Regards

Gregg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)