Older Mitsubishi

sdsat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
My apologies if it is not OK to post a similar question in two different forums. I have a 1999 Mitsubishi 1080 HD big screen. Yesterday I obtained an HD cable box, hooked up the component video but no HD. I learned from an online search that my TV appears to HD ready, meaning that I need to purchase something else that was manufactured in 1999? to make the set able to receive HD programming.

I'm just wondering if that is still the case today (it appears so from the fact my screen went blank on the HD channels). If so, can anyone point me to somewhere that I can pick up the missing hardware? Or, could someone point me to a link where the various HD components are described so that I can try to figure this out on my own?

Thanks!

What is the model number of your set? And what is the make and model number of your cable box?

No, you do not need any additional hardware since you are using an HD cable box (that's your additional hardware). HD-ready simply means that it doesn't have ATSC tuner and you can't receive HD channels over-the-air. Connecting to a cable-box should not be a problem.

You just need (1) to make sure you are using correct input on your tv set (some older sets have separate sets of inputs for SD and HD), that (2) the input is correctly selected and that (3) your cable box is properly configured to output 1080i over component output (some older tv sets have problems with 720p).

I'll have to pull the set out and get the model number (not easy it is sort of built in), but I'll also have to check to make sure I put the component video in the HD slot (I'm hoping that is labelled!). I asked the cable company and they suggested double checking the output on the cable box. When I get home tonight, I'll fiddle with each of those and let you know what happens.

Thanks for letting me know that I don't need any other hardware!

What is the model number of your set? And what is the make and model number of your cable box?

No, you do not need any additional hardware since you are using an HD cable box (that's your additional hardware). HD-ready simply means that it doesn't have ATSC tuner and you can't receive HD channels over-the-air. Connecting to a cable-box should not be a problem.

You just need (1) to make sure you are using correct input on your tv set (some older sets have separate sets of inputs for SD and HD), that (2) the input is correctly selected and that (3) your cable box is properly configured to output 1080i over component output (some older tv sets have problems with 720p).

TV is Mitsubishi Model #: WS-55807

Cable Box is: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250 HDC

You were right that I had the component cables in one of the standard definition slots. I moved them to the HD slots listed as DTV. However, I'm still having problems. The inputs only say HD 1080i with the designation GRBHV. What does that mean? It looks like there are two additional slots for cables (other than the RGB component cable slots). Are they for HV? Do I need something for these slots?

I've played with the cable box and the television inputs to try to switch to 1080i. But, neither box will stay at 1080. They both swap back to 480.

Any help VERY welcome! Thanks.

Well, I think I may have it. I'm getting the HD channels and they appear somewhat sharper. Interesting thing is that the TV won't let me say that the output is higher than 960i. Honestly, I'm not sure it is HD, but I think it is.

How can you be sure that you are getting HD? The cable box does say 1080i now. But, I don't know for sure whether the TV is downconverting the signal.

Did they make 1080 displays back in 1999? I thought those were more recent than that. Also, what technology is your TV? If it's rear projection CRT then stuff dims, things get out of alignment, etc. You are looking at an 8 or 9 year old set and I'll bet if you compared its picture to a newer set you wouldn't be terribly impressed with your old set anymore. I recently replaced a ten year old Mitsubishi set (60" rear projection, SD) with a newer 65" Mitsubishi DLP. My old set that I originally thought was "just fine" wasn't even in the same ballpark. And it wasn't just the HD abilities of the new set. Even viewing SD DVDs (using an old non-progressive DVD player) the difference was like night and day.

Did they make 1080 displays back in 1999? I thought those were more recent than that. Also, what technology is your TV? If it's rear projection CRT then stuff dims, things get out of alignment, etc. You are looking at an 8 or 9 year old set and I'll bet if you compared its picture to a newer set you wouldn't be terribly impressed with your old set anymore. I recently replaced a ten year old Mitsubishi set (60" rear projection, SD) with a newer 65" Mitsubishi DLP. My old set that I originally thought was "just fine" wasn't even in the same ballpark. And it wasn't just the HD abilities of the new set. Even viewing SD DVDs (using an old non-progressive DVD player) the difference was like night and day.

That is the year (1999) I got HDTV!

How can you be sure that you are getting HD? The cable box does say 1080i now. But, I don't know for sure whether the TV is downconverting the signal.
First of all, make sure you tune to an HD channel (HD channels on cable usually have different numbers form their SD equivalents). Also, keep in mind that some HD channels often show upconverted HD programs: TNT-HD is a "good" example.

It works! I just watched the Vegas bowl in HD. It was great! The final mistake I was making was not turning to an HD channel. Thanks for all of your help here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts