Studebaker driver
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
I'm on my fourth lamp! The television is 5 years old! Boo! At the time it was a good deal for the money, though.

Make sure you get genuine lamps. I used Planet Bulb for my 831. It last about 3 years and it ran all the time.

S~

Also, make sure you are getting proper cooling! I have a Samsung 56" DLP that was going through lamps every 6 months or so. I put a USB powered external fan near on the back of the TV and I haven't blown a lamp since.

I have been burned with cheap asian replacement bulbs placed in refurb housings. I know others have been burned even worse by cheap bulbs plac3ed in knockoff housings that melted in use.

I am willing to pay more for genuine replacement bulbs as they seem to last about three times as long. You need to shop carefully though. I am noticing on Amazon that vendors are advertising 'genuine replacement' when it is not an OEM bulb. The safest, but most expensive course is to buy from the manufacturer. Planetbulb is reliable, but often more expensive than the manufacturer.

If your projector has a filter, replace that as well. Cooling is a big factor in bulb life and choking the airflow is a bad idea. A new filter is cheap insurance.

I got mine a couple of years ago from Bulb Solutions for $90. That was for a bare Osram lamp, so I needed to modify the housing in order for the lamp to fit. Mitsubishi rounds off the corners of the lamps they install in their housings. I didn't want to use the Dremel on the lamp since it is only $30 to replace the housing. You can get the lamp with housing for $120 and the shipping is free for anything over $90. Bad thing is you need to know the Mitsubishi part number as there is no cross-reference using TV model number. Seems like the site has changed and I don't think they guarantee Osram like they used to.

I've got 4K hours on my 2nd lamp, so I'm about to have to buy another spare. I have a 65833 which uses the 180 watt lamp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts