Mitsubishi Drops DLP Displays

I just replaced my Mits 65732 dlp with a Vizio M650VSE. I have been through 4 lamps in 5 years. Time for a change!

Doesn't OLED have the potential to be the cheapest display ever once they mass produce it and get the price down? I thought I read a few years back that it may become very cheap someday.

I'd be happy with current prices. They look stunning, better than CRT to me -- but that's sacrilege to some.

Toally agree, We had a 51 inch sony, I swear that PQ was the best ,I still believe so to this date.

We got rid of ours also for a New Rear LCD sony, and I hated it as well. Over $500 in bulbs. I had our sony CRT RPTV for 7 years and never an issue.

We picked-up a Sony 3LCD back in 2004 and the picture was pretty good...and it's still running today on only it's 2nd replacement lamp. We've picked-up two additional Sony LED sets in recent years...we like 'em (reliable and slim profile), but I still miss my Mitsubishi Diamond CRT RPTV...it was awesome. The TV makers are still trying to match the picture quality of those huge sets on rollers...just because people want a flat screen.

We picked-up a Sony 3LCD back in 2004 and the picture was pretty good...and it's still running today on only it's 2nd replacement lamp. We've picked-up two additional Sony LED sets in recent years...we like 'em (reliable and slim profile), but I still miss my Mitsubishi Diamond CRT RPTV...it was awesome. The TV makers are still trying to match the picture quality of those huge sets on rollers...just because people want a flat screen.
If it wasnt for that 50 inch Sony 3LCD with its issues I had, I might have bought another sony. But decided to look at the Mitsubishi DLP, and sorry but the LCD had a way better looking Picture. The DLPs are so screen doorish, unless your sitting right infront of it , its poor viewing angles , and low brightness, Killed that sale.

So I bought a Panisonic 50 Plasma for $1500, Yea great picture as long as its dark, with its Glass Screen. Had that for about a month, and started to notice some strange "immage retension", as they call it. Yea took that crap right back! Never will I ever consider a plasma.
I saw LG 55 LK530 smart tv for $1400, and I was sold. I could have gotton a 65 Mitsu DLP for $400 less, But from what I saw I would have gotton $400 less Picture and operation.
I'm on Year 2 with my LG, it as 5600 hours on it and never a hiccup.

My 6 year old Magnavox 32MF338 has almost 19,000 hours on it, and again $500 new and hasn't cost me a cent extra.
If it Goes now the Same TV is $238 at Sams club. LOL! LED version is $299.

Last edited:
If I were to buy a new big screen this year, it would either be a bigger plasma or one of the much bigger Mitsi DLPs. I had a JVC HDiLA a bit back and loved it, so a DLP would be fine for me.

But as to LCD/LED, well no thanks. I've not seen any that are nearly as good as the plasma and not even very good compared to the DLPs I've seen over the years.

What happened to your JVC? I'm happy with my 7.5 yr old 61" model. Only replaced the bulb once.

When I got the panny plasma, the JVC went upstairs to my adult son't BR. Still working just fine and still on the bulb I put in about 3 years ago.

I just wanted a plasma and I certainly don't miss the fan noise from the JVC! :)

It was real interesting when I had that JVC. Watching bluray from a PS3 that went into hover mode almost everytime you played a movie, and the fan noise from the JVC made you crank the volume quite a bit!

If I were to buy a new big screen this year, it would either be a bigger plasma or one of the much bigger Mitsi DLPs. I had a JVC HDiLA a bit back and loved it, so a DLP would be fine for me.

But as to LCD/LED, well no thanks. I've not seen any that are nearly as good as the plasma and not even very good compared to the DLPs I've seen over the years.

I have never been a plasma fan but after having DLP, LCD and LED sets I'm not exactly enamored with these choices in a new set either. I'm still waiting for a set that give me that melt into your seat, jaw-dropping Wow! that my Mitsubishi Diamond CRT RPTV game me.

Have a new bulb on order for my 60" mits. first one I have had to replace. had the tv about 3 years. it runs all day for the most part. so about 10-12 hours a day minimum. so I figure it has about 9000 hours on the first bulb. Starting about 3 months ago it does not run as much now so I am hoping the new bulb will last a while.

I am moving soon, and not sure the TV will fit where we what it to be, so I may be getting a flat panel to replace it soon.

I am leery of some of these cheap LED televisions as some are not supposed to have as good of LED technology as the other ones that are more expensive. I love the brightness LED gives.

I am leery of some of these cheap LED televisions as some are not supposed to have as good of LED technology as the other ones that are more expensive. I love the brightness LED gives.
Me too, but I bought my Daughter's a Emerson and a Philips 22 inch LED tv. , Paid $330 for both but suprsingly they have a very good picture.

I think the smaller televisions are almost always going to have a better picture quality due to their smaller size. The larger televisions are going to show the imperfections more. I even notice how good the older CRT 25-36 inch SD televisions look with picture quality compared to a 67 inch HD television picture due to the screen size.

I guess my 65" Mits 65833 better die soon so I can either pick up a 73" while they are still available or just spring for a 70" Sharp Aquos LED LCD. The thing I like about the Mits is that it is so modular inside. Almost anything can be easily replaced as long as the parts can be found. DMD's are usually $200 and the whole light engine is usually $350. I bet these parts will be real cheap in the next couple of years. LCD has come a long way since I last went shopping for a TV in 2008 to replace my RP CRT. It was a 2003 Mitsubishi HDTV and had a really good picture. The only pain was its weight, close to 250 pounds, and having to play with convergence every time it was moved for cleaning, etc. DLP has its problems, which were usually minor compared to PQ, but LED-driven LCD are starting to come down in price. I paid $3000 for the 65" Mits in 2008 and the 70" Sharp Aquos LED/LCD is about $2700.

I haven't seen any fire sales on the last Mitsi DLPs. Prices seem to be holding steady at around $1200 for the WD-73742 which is what I got mine for at the end of December.

Damned shame to see these disappear as they offer the most bang for the buck, imo.

Now that I've had mine for about a week, I'm very satisfied with the performance. Great HD, very good SD and the 3D works as advertised. Hell, the 2D to 3D conversion works amazingly well on many movies.

One thing that I found was when I called Mitsi to order a spare bulb since you can't order one for the latest models online, they offered to send me one free! I'll know tomorrow or the next day if they actually shipped me one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts