New surround problem - cheap solution

LoTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Whitesburg, Kentucky
I recently purchased an Onkyo HT-RC430 to replace my old RCA system. I love the system, but I didn't read the fine print when I purchased it. It uses a powered subwoofer, and my old system had a passive sub. I was dismayed to learn that even the cheapest powered subs cost almost as much as the receiver.

My solution... I took an old set of Gateway PC speakers, ran the subwoofer output on the receiver to the input on the powered speaker, clipped the output wire to the 2nd speaker, and ran it into my sub. It worked pretty good except for the hiss from the pc speaker. To remedy this I opened the faceplate on the speaker and clipped the the main speaker wire. Now it functions only as a 15 watt amp for my subwoofer.

Does anyone foresee a problem doing this?

It probably won't hurt anything, but a 15 watt amp for a sub is like not having an amp at all. By the time you can hear it, it will be clipping. Do yourself a favor and find a small powered sub.

What Chip said. Go look on craigslist for most anything in a powered sub. What you have is pretty much useless.

A sub module from one of those decent PC speaker setups from Logitech or Klipsch might work in a pinch. There should be a few on Craigslist. You MIGHT even find someone that is trying to get rid of their Blose Acoustimiss module. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts