Quitting BEV, then re-starting??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dish_Dan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
- I've been a month-to-month BEV subscriber for 3 years, so I've satisfied my 2-year contract requirement.
- I currently own 2 receivers (4100 & 9200).
- I want to purchase a new 9242, but don't really want to pay $599 MSRP.
- Is it feasible to cancel my service one day, and re-start again the next day as a "new subscriber" in order to get the 50% credits they give on a new receiver?
- On my "new account", I would then be activating 3 receivers (2 old + 1 new).
- Are there any cancellation or start-up fees associated with this?
- The account would need to be at the same phone & address, but it could be in my wife's name if that helps.
- Alternately, if I just explained this to a Retention CSR, would they offer me the 50% credit on a new receiver?
- Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Dish_Dan

For a new account I'm sure you must wait at least 6 months. I would recommend that you call and ask for retentions. Lately most people are receiving 20-40% discount off their bill for a year where it seems 30% is the norm for people who push the issue. The 9242 has been discontinued and replaced with the 9241 which is the same except that the 2nd TV option has been removed. They are now $499.00 and many people are getting them at half price by credits back to their account. If you have been a good customer there is no reason why you should not get at least 20% off of you programming and $200 off of the $499 9241 price.

Start looking and calling round the big box stores for the 9242. As stated it is now discontinued and its replacement is a very cheap imitation.

I just got a 9242 from Future Shop, marked at $399, they had 2 other left in stock.

Another option is to open a second account in your wifes name at the same address and cancel yours. You would have to give 30 days notice anyway, so you would be paying 2 accounts for at least 30 days. Then after your account is closed have the receivers transferred to the wifes account.

A lot of trouble in my opinion, I would get looking for a 9242 now, if you really want one.

NOTE:

The 9241 does NOT come with HDMI Cables
It does NOT have an OTA Tuner.
It does NOT have PiP.

All in all not as good and very buggy right now.

- Thanks for the advice guys.
- I ended up going into several Bell stores and trying to but their on-display 9242 units. They all said that these units belonged to bell and that they couldn't sell them.
- Found a BestBuy near me that had one new 9242 left, but they wouldn't budge off their $499 price. Ended up calling FutureShop, told the guy they had them for $399 at TSCC a few weeks back (not a lie), and he price matched over the phone with no confirmation needed.
- Picked it up the next day for $399, and will activate it on my account before the 60-day period.

Dish_Dan

I just grabbed one at a future Shop, for $199. It was marked at $299 but was missing both front doors and they had no remotes/cables or box.

I just spoke with a Tech who was handing back a dead 9242 and over a coffee we swapped the front panel. I had already won a few spare Remotes a while back so I am good to go.

It was never entered into any of Bell's systems so I can take my time activating.

Might even sell it, they are going for well over $600 on E-Bay......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts