R00 and S00 numbers for receiver

alosito

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
I closed my Dish account, and I kept my 510 receiver that Dish originally gave me. Now I don't have any use for that receiver, and I am trying to sell it on Ebay. Some potential buyers keep asking me for R00 and S00 numbers off the receiver. They say they need those numbers to find out if there is any balance and if they will be able to activate the receiver once they buy it from me. Could somebody please tell me if it is safe to give those numbers away?

Yes, It is perfectly safe and proper to give potential buyers the R00 and S00 numbers so they can check with dish.

MustangLX89 said:
Hell, No it ain't.

Why not? Go ahead, I would never buy one without checking to see if there is a balance first. Dish does NOT give any of your personal info. They simply say balance or no balance.

MustangLX89 said:
Hell, No it ain't.

huh?

I've sold 5 receivers on Ebay and except for one (which was sealed still) I gave them the R & S #'s no problem. Do it privately.

Ive asked for them too and called Dish with it. They say "no balance" or "there is a balance due on this"

get your facts straight.

Would it maybe be a good idea to agree to give the numbers to the winning bidder after the auction; but prior to the bidder sending payment?

I ask because I thought I had heard that before as well. I'm not sure how hacking works; so of course I don't know what numbers they can or cannot use.

ken0042 said:
Would it maybe be a good idea to agree to give the numbers to the winning bidder after the auction; but prior to the bidder sending payment?
what if the bidder backs out because there is a 400 dollar balance. Then there is an issue. Getting it beforehand solves that issue.

I ask because I thought I had heard that before as well. I'm not sure how hacking works; so of course I don't know what numbers they can or cannot use.
hackers dont want that...they want the Rom # (which is pretty much useless now). The numbers dont do anything..they are tied to the receiver (especially the R #)

What damage could a hacker do if they get these numbers? I've sold receivers on eBay and wondered if I too should give out these numbers.

Cyclone said:
What damage could a hacker do if they get these numbers? I've sold receivers on eBay and wondered if I too should give out these numbers.

what can they do...nothing

the R # is based to the receiver...all they could do is get the S# but that wouldnt match what Dish has in records so there would be no charges.

Plus hackers dont care about the numbers...all they care about is the Rom #.

There isn't any number you can provide from a reciever that could do you any harm. It is completely safe. All they do is call dish with them just to verfiy that it can indeed be activated on thier account.

I suppose an unscrupulous person could use the numbers and activate the receiver on THEIR account without buying, but what good would that do them except inflate their bill?

They could screw with you and activate the receiver on their account, but then they are paying a bill on it so what good would that do them.

They could activate it on a new account and not pay the bill, but that would me they would need to either provide their SSN, or provide a $200 deposite to Dish which I don't see happening either.

I sell alot of stuff on ebay, since most of its from inventory and since I got multiple quanities, I usually ask the buyer to call me and we do a 3-way call with Dish. If the buyer is satisfied then we activate it on their account before it ships out and they pay over the phone with a credit card.

All activating the reciever on their account would do, is keep you from activating it on your account. And even that can be fixed if the issue is documented by dish on your account, so you can give teh R00 and S00 numbers to anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)