R15 a bad reciever?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joedekock

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
West Michigan
I am curious how many people have had some of the issues I am aware of with the R15.

I am on my fourth one. I was one of the first people to get the R15 when it came out a couple of years ago. My first one had a hard drive go out on it. Not a big deal, as I am a Network Engineer and have experience that anything with a hard drive has a good chance that the most likely piece of hardware to fail... is the hard drive.

The replacement Directv sent me was the second generation R15 which was a smaller box than the first gen box. Of course it was a referb. As soon as it was powered up, the fan it was obviously bad because it was so loud and vibrating the whole unit. I instantly called D* and they sent me yet another referb.

This third unit was a first gen referb. This one was going well until its death a couple of weeks ago. It lasted all of five months. The unit I got to replace it is a brand new Second gen R15 since I demanded a new one to replace the junk referbs I kept receiving.

The first three R15's I have owned have all had the same issues. The caller ID fails after a few weeks, the menu's and guide eventually respond slowly to the remote and front panel buttons, constant freezing up, and the dual tuner seems to go in and out so you can only watch one show, or record one show at a time.

I noticed that this new second gen model has different software that is much like the HR20. I like it very much, and so far after 2 weeks, the menu's and guide is still snappy to the response of the remote and panel buttons, and the tuners have never failed. I know both my parents and in-laws have the R15's, and have had the same issues I have seen. My in-laws are on their second one in a year and a half, and my parents are on their first in 6 months. My parents much prefered the RCA Tivo unit they had that lasted them four years until its death.

Although my R15 has been VERY reliable, I have had a lot of problems with 3 H20's.

After complaining over & over, and letting them know I was not getting the service I was paying for because the box interrupted my viewing, they not only gave gave me a free HR20 DVR upgrade with free install, they also gave me $12.00/month off for 12 months, and also gave me 2 free months on my total bill.

Call & call & call till you get someone who will take care of this liek it needs to. Remember, you are NOT able to watch the programs you are paying for!

I had a R15 for about a year and a half, with no real issues. I think it missed one recording, but that's about the only thing I can recall. I replaced it with a HR21 or it would still be running. Like just about all the Directv receivers, some seem to have a lot more problems than others.

Unfortunately, the R15 has not been the focus of D*'s attention for rapid fixes, with as much effort as they've put into the HR20 over the past year.

The way I understand it is the HRs are DirecTV's.The Rs are NDS's.;)

My R15-500 has been very stable for recordings ,but after each software upgrade I do reformat my R15.;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts