R15 and telephone connection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

matrophy

Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I have an R15 that I am using in an area that isn't conveniently close to a phone connection. My plane was to use it and periodically stretch a phone line across the house and do an update when it looks like it needs it. I started having trouble with finding programs to record and figured that the guide needed an update. I stretched the phone line over and looked for the instructions to force a phone call and couldn't find out how to do it. I have 3 R10s in the house and one of them has to be updated with the 'stretched phone line' method. I can easily find the instructions for making the phone call on this R10 but I sure couldn't find out how to do it on the R15. Does anyone know how to get this phone call to happen?

2) Also, is there anything I need to know to do a software/firmware (whatever it's called) update or does that happen automatically as a result of making the phone call?

Third question, I want to eventually connect all of my DVR's (3 R10s and one sorry excuse for a DVR - the R15) to a phone line using a 5-way splitter. I'm wondering if the phone call times can be set up so they are staggered so they aren't all trying to use the same phone line at once. Is that an easy fix and/or is that anything to worry about at all?

The R15 does not get guide data or software updates over the phone. It does it through the satellite dish. The phone line is really only necessary if you want to order pay-per-views with your remote or to create a profile with Game Lounge and submit to leader boards (which is not available to the R15 yet). Software updates will happen automatically when they are available. So a phone line is not required for your R15 to work as it should. Also, be advised that the guide data will take 24 - 48 hours to completely build up. Until then, you will have limited guide data.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts