R15 Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The last software upgrade has significanly made my R-15 more stable. I have not had to reset my box since the upgrade and my caller id is working great. I was on the phone with D* the other day and we did find an issue with my R-15. Transponder 23 was not working correctly. I was getting a signal strength of 95 on all transponders but 23 was 0. Any channel that was being broadcast on that transponser, like the NFL networks, I would get the "searching for signal" error on the screen. Needless to say when I hooked up my old RCA receiver the signal strength on transponder 23 was 95. I have my replacement R-15 being sent out. The only thing that stinks is I will loose all the shows I have recorded. There is no way to transer the data to the new box.

With the new upgrades, I've noticed a difference in the series link option. However, not really in a good way.

I wanted to record 'Scrubs' for tonight. So, I went to 'series link' and set it up to record all first runs. The problem is that there are 2 new episodes on tonight, but only one was marked for recording. However, both new episodes for next Tuesday were marked for record. I figured no big deal, just manually set the one unrecorded show to record...but when I tried, it wouldn't work...it gave me that 'error' sound or whatever it is that happens when you push a button that has no function.

The other problem was in trying to record 'Family Guy.' Fox runs new episodes of Family Guy on Sunday nights, and both TBS and Cartoon Network run repeats most weeknights. I wanted to record all of them. I set the series link to record first runs and repeats on the Fox channel, and that worked fine. But it only set to record those episodes on Fox, not TBS or Car. Network. So, I tried to set a series link on those channels, but since I already had a program for the Fox Channel, it wouldn't let me do a series link for the same show on another channel.

Now, really, these problems are no big deal for me, as I use the record function more like a reminder and am usually present to watch the shows I want when they're on, but I know if I go on vacation and need some shows to record, there may be problems.

The upgrades have made things run more smoothly, but there are a few problems still lingering, and a few more caused by the upgrades...

one other thing is previously when I would push the 'guide' button, the first screen would have all the guide sub-categories, i.e. 'movies', 'sports', etc. Now there are only 2 categories, 'all channels' and 'showcases' which still has nothing in it. Not really a big deal for me, just something I noticed.

I finally decided to get a DVR unit as I am a first time user. I ordered online through DTV and when the installer arrived he mentioned that my unit was the first R15 he has installed. He had just installed the last R10. After a couple of weeks I have seen some issues but nothing serious.

I had the caller id issue. Later that night the software upgrade kicked in and now the caller id works perfectly.

Guide not populating. This has happened once, I rebooted and has been fine ever since.

Series link stopped working. Basically I would tell it to record all shows and it woul do only add the first one and no more in the to do list. Reboot fixed this as well. But I figure it will happen again. I am going to call DTV to complain about this.

I also had some choppy audio after FF or RW in playback mode. But it went away after the upgrade. At least the upgrades are fixing issues.

My opinion is we all should be calling DTV on issues we are having. That is the only way these are going to be resolved.

So my 2 month old R-15 that I purchased out right goes south, my replacement dvr that D* sent was a refurbished R-10. If I wanted an r-10 I would have bought one in the first place. After talking to 4 customer reps at D* I was assured that I would be receiving a new R-15 within a few days. We shall see.

The same exact thing happened to me. I got a refurb R-10 for my broken R15. My solution though was to go buy a new R15 at bestbuy and D* is going to pay me for it.

I finally got my new R-15 via Fed Ex the other day. So far everything seems to be working normally.

Wonder if I can demand they send me an R-10 for the piece of crap R15 I have. I just cannot stand this thing. Gonna call them tomorrow morning to see what they will do. Need to call anyway to see what is up with my rebate. Doesn't hold too much promise for the HD DVR coming out. I don't think I will be jumping on that with the pain in the ass issues I have with this R15.

The R15 is crap. It's horribly slow and doesn't know the difference between First Run and Repeat. I set a series link to record only first run yet in the prioritizer it indicates all will record - and in it's defense it does! It's just not supposed to!

Had a couple of small issues with my two R15s that were solved by the red button resets.

No SLs here, just recorded movies selected from the guide.

I plan on switching off VCR's next month and going DVRs with D*. So will I be getting R15's then? Are they like a Windows OS where once I get it I will have to install all these fixes or will it be up to date out of the box? Is going DVR an OK move or are they still real buggy?...I do not want to hear the Mrs. complaining...she does love her VCR...

It seems to vary from unit to unit, sometimes depending upon how demanding you are.

If you use it as I do, basically as a fancy VCR, it will probably work fine.

If you do a lot of Series Links, Searches, and have a hard drive that stays almost full, there is a good chance it will be buggy. Mine works fine recording 5 or six movies a week, selected from the on-screen guide.

Newest vs oldest lists in 'My VOD'

• Here is my cunundrum...when I am in My VOD it ALWAYS list the newest recordings while I like to display the oldest recordings first so I can watch those before the newer ones. Whenever I leave 'My VOD' it reverts back to listing the newest recordings 1st and I have to re-list it oldest 1st. Has anyone had this happen to you and is there a way for 'My VOD' to permanently list the oldest recordings 1st??

Selmac

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)