R15 Locks Up After Rain

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GoHogsAR

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 12, 2004
I have been a Dish customer for a couple of years and switched less than a week ago to DirecTV. With Dish, I had one of their large "SuperDishes" and would only lose signal in the heaviest of downpours. My DirecTV install consists of two small dishes because my locals are in the NW Arkansas market.

We've had two periods of moderate rain today and I lost signal both times. I can deal with that, but both times my receivers have acted up after the rain. The first time, I was watching in the living room and got the "searching for signal" or whatever message for about five minutes before it finally went away and the sound came back, but no picture. I could change channels and had audio but no picture on any of them. Pressing the reset button fixed the problem. The second time (about fifteen minutes ago) I was watching in the office and the picture pixelated then froze with no audio. The receiver would not respond to any remote commands even though the power light was dimming as if it was receiving the signal from the remote. I rebooted and audio and video returned, but as soon as the rain got a little heavier about three minutes later, the picture pixelated and froze again. The audio came back this time but once again the receiver won't resond to any commands from the remote and the picture is frozen as well.

I checked the receiver in the living room just now and like earlier today I have audio but no video. I can't reboot every time it rains!!! Is that what everyone with an R15 deals with? I switched over exclusively for the Sunday Ticket but am VERY close to asking DirecTV to please take their equipment back and cancel my account. I HATE the interface on these receivers (see thread in DVR forum) and now I'm having this problem to go with it. Any suggestions?

I want to add that an installer is coming tomorrow afternoon to install the right size switch for all three of my receivers. Is there anything specific I should have him check since he's going to be here anyway? There is a chance of rain but my luck would not allow for it to actually rain while he's here.

GoHogsAR said:
I want to add that an installer is coming tomorrow afternoon to install the right size switch for all three of my receivers. Is there anything specific I should have him check since he's going to be here anyway? There is a chance of rain but my luck would not allow for it to actually rain while he's here.
Have him look at your dish alignment as well, see if he can peak it a bit more.
What kind of signal strength are you showing when it's NOT raining.

Hopefully, he can get your #'s in the high 80's or in the 90's

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Have him look at your dish alignment as well, see if he can peak it a bit more.
What kind of signal strength are you showing when it's NOT raining.

Hopefully, he can get your #'s in the high 80's or in the 90's

Jimbo
I'll check the numbers here in a little while and post what I find.

boba said:
You're so unhappy just cancel and go back to DISH. But remember they may lose the DVR capability.
Thank you for reading part of my post. I realize there a lot of words in it, but if you had read them all you would have seen that I switched over exclusively for the Sunday Ticket. If Dish offered that, I would not have switched. All I expected was hardware that functioned properly - am I asking too much?

GoHogsAR said:
Thank you for reading part of my post. I realize there a lot of words in it, but if you had read them all you would have seen that I switched over exclusively for the Sunday Ticket. If Dish offered that, I would not have switched. All I expected was hardware that functioned properly - am I asking too much?
If you were used to DISH's software glitches the few Directv has shouldn't bother you. Yes I acknowledge the R15 with software 10C8 has some glitches, I've rebooted mine twice today.:)

called directv and have them send you a replacement for the r15. if you are getting signals in the 80s or the 90s on all transponders thats mean your mulit-switch is working fine . when you get a replacement , the r15 have to stay on 24/7 , because its need to upgrade the software to avoid glitches . sometimes the r15 will ask you if you want to download the new software now ? choose download now . this procedures normally take between 5-30 minutes to upgrade the software. after the software finish download the reciever, it will reboot it self and aquire satellite information . then you could continue to watch your programming . and if you have an h20 you also have to download the software to avoid major problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.