Rabbit Hole

I'm 4 episodes in, and so far it's like 24 lite, not as intense and more humor. Am enjoying it. My only gripe is that the Dolby Vision is so damn dark, you can hardly seen anything, even in broad daylight. I've noticed Paramount DV to be generally darker than other streamers. Picard often gets a little too far over the line. At the other end of the spectrum is Apple tv+, easily the brightest DV. With Rabbit Hole I have to force it to HDR.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
I'm 4 episodes in, and so far it's like 24 lite, not as intense and more humor. Am enjoying it. My only gripe is that the Dolby Vision is so damn dark, you can hardly seen anything, even in broad daylight. I've noticed Paramount DV to be generally darker than other streamers. Picard often gets a little too far over the line. At the other end of the spectrum is Apple tv+, easily the brightest DV. With Rabbit Hole I have to force it to HDR.
Most Televisions have a option for DV Bright or DV Dark, have you tried either yet?

Of course. Bright not Bright enough on Paramount+!
That hasn't been my experience with my Sony LED TV. I squint when HDR kicks in. The same is true of Amazon Prime.

OLEDs or Samsung TVs are surely a different question (because OLEDs are inherently darker and Samsung TV's don't support DV).

That hasn't been my experience with my Sony LED TV. I squint when HDR kicks in. The same is true of Amazon Prime.

OLEDs or Samsung TVs are surely a different question (because OLEDs are inherently darker and Samsung TV's don't support DV).
My TV is a Sony 77AJ80 OLED. Had to resort to standard today. This ONE SHOW is way too dark. Wish I knew why.

My TV is a Sony 77AJ80 OLED. Had to resort to standard today. This ONE SHOW is way too dark. Wish I knew why.
As I wrote before, I had the 83” Sony A90J ( brighter then the 80) in my Living Room, everything was too dark, the last episode of Obi-Wan, I could not see what was going on most of the episode.

Upgraded to the LED Sony Z9K ( the 90 is in my game room now), problem solved, I still get the inky type blacks, TV is 8K, so super clear and detail in the picture, but no more black crush, I can see what is going on now.

The main problem with OLED is they can only get 600-800 nits in brightness for HDR/Dolby Vision content, while for LED, they can go up to 4000 nits for the same content.

Also found this for your A80J-The Sony XR A80J has a peak brightness of 640 nits at 1% window, 670 nits at 2% and 640 nits at 5% with a drop-down to 591 nits on the industry-standard 10% window size. With a 100% window size the brightness is 135 nits.

While mine is this-the Sony Z9J Master Series features a traditional LED backlight, which supports local dimming and can reach an incredible peak HDR brightness of around 2,500 nits or presumably up to 4,000 nits for small highlights

Also found this for your A80J-The Sony XR A80J has a peak brightness of 640 nits at 1% window, 670 nits at 2% and 640 nits at 5% with a drop-down to 591 nits on the industry-standard 10% window size. With a 100% window size the brightness is 135 nits.

While mine is this-the Sony Z9J Master Series features a traditional LED backlight, which supports local dimming and can reach an incredible peak HDR brightness of around 2,500 nits or presumably up to 4,000 nits for small highlights

Thanks for all the OLED "education" Bruce. BTW, I also own an LG B7A..How about you find out instead why Rabbit Hole is so Damn Dark!

Thanks for all the OLED "education" Bruce. BTW, I also own an LG B7A..How about you find out instead why Rabbit Hole is so Damn Dark!
You cannot use Google?

But here-

In SDR, the B7 Series doesn't get that bright (I measured an SDR peak brightness of around 250-300 nits, depending on content), but with perfect black levels, the lack of searing brightness is not an issue.

Peak Brightness in HDR goes up to 750 nits.

I also looked up the Sony X95K which I thought about getting before I decided on the z9K, it was on average 1500 nits.

You cannot use Google?

But here-

In SDR, the B7 Series doesn't get that bright (I measured an SDR peak brightness of around 250-300 nits, depending on content), but with perfect black levels, the lack of searing brightness is not an issue.

Peak Brightness in HDR goes up to 750 nits.

I also looked up the Sony X95K which I thought about getting before I decided on the z9K, it was on average 1500 nits.
You think I can't watch hundreds of other shows because I dont have "bright enough" TVs? You are missing the point here.

You think I can't watch hundreds of other shows because I dont have "bright enough" TVs? You are missing the point here.
Never said that, you said you were having trouble viewing DV content on P+, which requires a high level of brightness, I answered why you were having the problem.

You are having a TV issue, OLED are just not bright enough for certain HDR/DV content.

Remember, I had the same problem with my Sony A90, luckily I needed a new TV for my game room, so it went in there while I bought the Z9K for the living room, now I can make out everything on the screen, day or night.

The Sony A90 looks great in the game room with PS5 and XBOX content, it is also pitch dark in there, which does help with the TV not being very bright.

Never said that, you said you were having trouble viewing DV content on P+, which requires a high level of brightness, I answered why you were having the problem.

You are having a TV issue, OLED are just not bright enough for certain HDR/DV content.

Remember, I had the same problem with my Sony A90, luckily I needed a new TV for my game room, so it went in there while I bought the Z9K for the living room, now I can make out everything on the screen, day or night.

The Sony A90 looks great in the game room with PS5 and XBOX content, it is also pitch dark in there, which does help with the TV not being very bright.
Mine is in near pitch black, too. Other P+ shows (like the Treks) are not nearly as dark as Rabbit Hole...that is my point. So, can not concede to your notion of a "TV issue".

So, can not concede to your notion of a "TV issue".
Since the people with issues would appear to be those using OLEDs, there's probably a connection.

Surely Paramount+ isn't off the hook and they should be investigating the issue but to assert that what they're doing is obviously wrong is not supported.

Mine is in near pitch black, too. Other P+ shows (like the Treks) are not nearly as dark as Rabbit Hole...that is my point. So, can not concede to your notion of a "TV issue".
I tried a little experiment, watching Picard the last two days, at first watched it using the app on the Sony Z9K because my Roku was unhooked ( building a new entertainment stand), hooked it back up today, noticed it was extremely brighter and more colorful using the Roku Ultra.

Kept going back and forth, app on TV vs the Roku, no question about it, much brighter and better on the Ultra.

Even on the DV Dark setting, it was still brighter, more detail and colorful using the Roku vs the app on the TV with the DV Bright setting.

Unhooked it, took it into the game room and plugged it in the the A90J OLED, did the same comparison, it was much brighter using the Roku, very noticeable difference.

Maybe it is not a TV issue, but a app issue, maybe the Android app uses a different codecs then the Roku that causes the darker picture.

Last edited: