• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I am not sure if this is the correct forum. If not move it. But the matter was raised when I tried to purchase a digital to analog converter box.

I tried to buy the DigitalStream converter box at rasop Shack using an NTIA coupon and and cash. I was told that I could not purchase the item without giving my name, address and phone number.

now I realize that they use to ask for this for every sale bit thy stopped. Are others encountering this? Is it their policy to ask for this for all sales or just the converter boxes? I was told just the converters but that makes no sense to me.

We are required by the government to keep records (subject to audit) regarding the use of the coupons. We also require name and address, in order to tie the customer to the coupon.

We are required by the government to keep records (subject to audit) regarding the use of the coupons. We also require name and address, in order to tie the customer to the coupon.

So why wasn't I asked for the same information when I purchased a converter from Best Buy/ are they in violation of the rules?

i hvae added a poll. This is not the world's biggest issue but I am curious.

Last edited:
Best of my recollection, there is nothing stated in the rules that we are required to get name and address. Only that we are subject to audit, and we must prove that everything is on the up and up if the government comes a calling. We record customers name and address in our invoicing system, and record the coupon number on the same invoice.

Thanks Al. The whole thing seems odd. especailly since one store told me that it was acceptable to lie about the info provided.

Last edited:
So why wasn't I asked for the same information when I purchased a converter from Best Buy/ are they in violation of the rules?

i hve addeda poll. This is not the world's biggest issue but I am curious.
That's a damn good question, Geronimo. The exact same thing happened to me with the same retailers. If I had to do it again, I would tell the RS guy to just pound sand if he didn't want my business. RS is the only retailer doing this to my knowledge. Their practices are exactly why I absolutely hate walking in the door.

Both retailers I went to just swiped the card (Circuit City & Radio Shack). RS did the standard phone number & name lookup they do on any purchase. Buy a 10 cent diode and they still ask for phone number and name. Very annoying.

However, Radio Shack did take the $10 entertainment coupon and the $40 coupon bringing the price down to $10 plus tax!

Both retailers I went to just swiped the card (Circuit City & Radio Shack). RS did the standard phone number & name lookup they do on any purchase. Buy a 10 cent diode and they still ask for phone number and name. Very annoying.

However, Radio Shack did take the $10 entertainment coupon and the $40 coupon bringing the price down to $10 plus tax!

I could have sworn that they stopped doing this for purchaes abot 3-4 years ago and that I had purchased items there recently without being asked.

Seriously I know i can just throw away all the junk mail it MIGHT lead to---and perhaps it is not used fr that----but I just don't want it.

I'm not sure why they collect the data, but I never get any RS junk mail. But I'm nowhere near their target market. I only buy a few small things there when I absolutely have to. I never remember buying anything there without giving my name and phone number, even recently.

Well I guess that they have aright to ask. But I have a right to shop elsewhere if the policy bothers me. But I was pretty sure that they had stopped this.

As for them not using it for marketing well if they really are asking for this for ALL transactions I don't believe that they are not using this info.

It probably is a Government thing for whatever purposes. But, in my experiences with Radio Shack, they always want your name, your number, and your address (most especially). So they can send you their Sales paper. It doesn't matter what you buy....????

It probably is a Government thing for whatever purposes. But, in my experiences with Radio Shack, they always want your name, your number, and your address (most especially). So they can send you their Sales paper. It doesn't matter what you buy....????

I will try buying something else to see if they are back to the old policy. But since other retailers don't seem to be asking for this I doubt that it is "A Government thing."

I will try buying something else to see if they are back to the old policy. But since other retailers don't seem to be asking for this I doubt that it is "A Government thing."
I also doubt its a gov't thing. It's a RS thing.

FWWW I go ta reply from rasio Shack. They said that they do have a policy requiring name, address and phone number for any purchase but also told me that the store manager should have rung up the sale anyway. they also indicate that i should speak to the managers at the two stores anf that thy would not.

In the end this is no big deal. but that isa puzzling attitude to me. They are admitting that their employees were arong but son't wnat to get involved.

Oh well.

Radio Shack just wants to make sure that you get the weekly flyer he he. All of the Radio Shacks I go into I tell them I dont live here ( most of the time I dont). If they insist I tell them can you just ring it up. If the cashier is still persistent I leave. I dont need what Radio Shack sells that bad.

Radio Shack

I had lunch with my Radio Shack senior manager buddy today, and I asked.

They need the name/address for the government records.
The reason you were probably not asked, is because most people just hand the envelope or the sheet with the coupons, to the employee.
On that sheet is name, address, etc, so there is no reason to ask.

If you took the card/coupon off the sheet it was mailed on , then they should ask you for the info.
They must enter that info into the Radio Shack system to complete the sale of the converter box.
They do not need to see your identification - you could give them any info.
However, who cares? Not a big fraud scam running on hot boxes. ;)

Of course, if you bought two boxes, used two coupons, and a Master Card for the remainder, they'd want to see ID for the credit card.

. . . and it's always possible that uninformed employees may do it wrong. . .
But that could happen anywhere.

I had lunch with my Radio Shack senior manager buddy today, and I asked.

They need the name/address for the government records.
The reason you were probably not asked, is because most people just hand the envelope or the sheet with the coupons, to the employee.
On that sheet is name, address, etc, so there is no reason to ask.

If you took the card/coupon off the sheet it was mailed on , then they should ask you for the info.
They must enter that info into the Radio Shack system to complete the sale of the converter box.
They do not need to see your identification - you could give them any info.
However, who cares? Not a big fraud scam running on hot boxes. ;)

Of course, if you bought two boxes, used two coupons, and a Master Card for the remainder, they'd want to see ID for the credit card.

. . . and it's always possible that uninformed employees may do it wrong. . .
But that could happen anywhere.

I am sorry but no one else seems to NEED this information for government records or. Why does radio Shack need them? Besides as I noted below radio Shack has already confirmed to me that is their policy not a Government policy.

I didn't let it bother me. They asked for my phone number and it seems that I was still in their system. Considering I hadn't set foot in one of their stores for anything in years I was surprised.

If they already have the information then only new thing they're discovering is that I bought a digital converter and I paid cash.

The guy said if I wanted to go home and order online for in store pickup I'd get a $10 gift certificate, but I figured why bother. It probably won't be good for 5 years when I come in for my next purchase anyway. :p

Many retailers already have your info in their computer system for warranty services, all they need is your phone # to link all that info up to the new purchase.

Radio Shack doesn't ask for that anymore....as chief noted they havent done that in 3-4 years

I've gone into numerous Radio Shacks and they never ask for my name or anything...unless I have a return...was just in two on Wednesday. Neither one asked for any info and I gave them cash.

But being a former employee (11 years removed) I hated the whole name and address bs. it was for the flyer and the rs cc offers but I hated asking people for it. Being a local store we had the same clientelle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)