Radios and Basic Accessories for better reception and enjoyment of WION

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
A question often asked of WION these days is, "why do today's radios not seem to pull in reception very well?" (vs. ones of years gone by.)

The answer is: Cheap manufacturing. Chances are most of your "newer" radios are not what we would have called "name brands" in years gone by. Tuners have less parts and are on one "chip", not separate parts, Internal parts including antennas are not of high quality, and "price" is more important to many manufacturers than the quality of the item being sold. Not to preach, but in the 70's and 80's, radios and stereos were not throwaway items. Now they are.

So, to help folks find better radios that will help receive WION better, a few favorites of mine are listed on a new link at our website called "Radios and Accessories" in the lefthand square, and can be ordered directly from Amazon Dot com through our page. You can easily get back to our main page from the Amazon page with one click! The listing includes two outdoor antennas for FM, (one directional, one non-directional) a basic indoor one, a transmitter to put our web stream on any FM radio in your home, and a few other selections. The yellow radio pictured was tested by WION and given away in 2012 at Expo, the "internet radio" is my new personal favorite for FM and our stream, along with many others. (see my review on satelliteguys) We only post items we have personal experience-with, so you can be assured that we know these are a good value!

The old "you get what you pay for" applies to radios. Granted, these are not inexpensive but they DO perform well, and have excellent tuners and sound.

The other option (which I enjoy) is to attend LOTS of garage sales this spring and summer, and find older, name brand radios, clean 'em up, and enjoy them. Look for Panasonic, Sony, Magnavox, older RCA, General Electric and names like that. Avoid "Coby" and newer names sold in dollar stores.

Hope this helps you better enjoy WION Radio.

-Carlyle

Last edited:
The other option (which I enjoy) is to attend LOTS of garage sales this spring and summer, and find older, name brand radios, clean 'em up, and enjoy them. Look for Panasonic, Sony, Magnavox, older RCA, General Electric and names like that. Avoid "Coby" and newer names sold in dollar stores.

so true! Also check out thrift stores too. Found some good old radios that sound great there. Even found an am only station :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)