RadioShack Prepares to Drive First National Rollout of HD Digital Radio Receivers

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
http://www.hdradio.com/press_room.php?newscontent=33

FORT WORTH, TEXAS – (May 15, 2006) – RadioShack Corporation (NYSE: RSH) and the HD Digital Radio Alliance today announced that in anticipation of growing customer demand for HD Digital Radio™ receivers, the consumer electronics retailer is immediately launching a pilot program in several major markets as a prelude to a national roll-out later this year.
More than 100 RadioShack stores in the Dallas/Fort Worth area are now stocking HD Digital Radio receivers for the pilot launch, as are several dozen additional stores in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston and Washington, D.C. This announcement underscores the momentum of HD radio as the latest entrant into the consumer digital entertainment space and RadioShack’s ability to help drive adoption rates of new technology across mainstream America by leveraging its assets of almost 5,000 stores staffed with knowledgeable sales associates.

“RadioShack has been a destination point for generations of customers looking to fulfill their home and portable radio needs, and HD Digital Radio technology is clearly the most significant advancement in terrestrial radio broadcasting since the introduction of FM stereo more than 50 years ago,” said Jim Hamilton, RadioShack executive vice president, merchandising and marketing. “By making a one-time purchase of an HD Digital Radio receiver, customers will benefit from crystal-clear, static-free reception, great new local programming and no subscription fees. This is exactly the type of cutting edge technology our customers have come to love and expect from their neighborhood RadioShack stores, and we’re happy to be delivering what’s undoubtedly one of the hottest new digital entertainment options around.”

RadioShack stores in the pilot program will initially carry the table top Boston Acoustics Recepter Radio® HD priced at $299.99, with the plan to add exclusive RadioShack receivers in the fall when the pilot expands nationally. Customers will be exposed to in-store, online and point-of-purchase educational support backed with comprehensive employee training and customized advertising running on all HD Digital Radio Alliance-member stations directing customers to shop at RadioShack for their HD Radio needs. RadioShack will also feature demonstration capabilities in its pilot stores to enable consumers to personally experience HD Digital Radio, with the intent to have similar in-store demonstration capabilities when the pilot expands nationally. Learn more about RadioShack’s HD Digital Radio initiative online at www.RadioShack.com/HDradio.
“RadioShack is the first major, national retail brand to become a part of the HD Digital Radio revolution, and they are doing so in an exciting and dramatic way. We are delighted to have them as our partners,” said Peter Ferrara, president and C.E.O. of the HD Digital Radio Alliance. “Consumers are joining the digital radio revolution in droves at this point as they realize the incredible value HD digital radio offers – great sound, exciting new HD2 programming choices and the unique local connection that this technology provides.”

Ferrara says the ability of AM and FM stations to broadcast their programming digitally is a tremendous leap that provides a significantly improved listening experience and expanded local programming choices for nothing more than the cost of an HD Digital Radio receiver. Consumers listening to HD Digital Radio receive FM channels with near-CD quality sound, AM radio with FM-quality sound, brand new HD2 multicast channels and formats, and the transmission of additional information on the display device such as song titles, artist information, traffic alerts, stocks and sports scores.

To date, 3,000 U.S. radio stations have committed to the revolutionary technology. More than 800 radio stations are currently broadcasting primary signals in HD Digital, reaching 75% of the U.S. population, expanding to 1200 stations and 90% of the population by the end of this year. By July 31 of this year, the number of stations broadcasting HD2 multicast channels with exciting new music formats is expected to grow to 400.

“Having RadioShack on board represents yet another leap forward in getting this exciting new technology into the consumer marketplace ahead of schedule,” said Ferrara. “The Alliance was formed to make that happen, and we are grateful for the involvement of our committed, visionary partners. Together we are driving truly unprecedented momentum and faster consumer adoption than anyone had imagined possible.”

About the HD Digital Radio Alliance

The HD Digital Radio Alliance is a joint initiative of leading radio broadcasters to accelerate the successful rollout of HD Digital Radio. Current members include ABC Radio (in Los Angeles and Minneapolis), Beasley Broadcast Group, Bonneville International, CBS Radio, Citadel Broadcasting, Clear Channel Radio, Cumulus, Emmis Communications, Entercom, Greater Media, and Susquehanna.

About RadioShack

Fort Worth, Texas-based RadioShack Corporation (NYSE:RSH) is one of the nation’s most trusted consumer electronics specialty retailers and a growing provider of business-to-business retail support services. The company operates a vast network of sales channels, including: nearly 6,000 company-owned and dealer stores; over 100 RadioShack locations in Mexico; and more than 700 wireless kiosks. RadioShack’s knowledgeable and helpful sales associates deliver convenient product and service solutions within five minutes of where 94 percent of all Americans either live or work. For more information on RadioShack Corporation, visit www.RadioShackCorporation.com. To learn more about RadioShack products and services or to purchase items online, visit www.RadioShack.com.

I hope they come out with a reasonably priced (i.e. similar to satellite radio) HD radio in the fall, when they expand the roll out.

Just seems like a new tech, trying to capitalize on the buzzwords of the day; digital and HD, but they will still be airing the same old crap. Its thier content and too many ads that are their biggest problems.

Yeah - Just what I need - more Geico and eHarmony.com ads in HD...! I can't really see what's driving this. I happen to listen to a fair amount of talk radio on AM on a small radio. It comes in fine - what's to improve? When I want quailty music I listen to CDs. I already have too much invested in "new tech" with my HD/SS/sat. systems and computers that I don't really have time to use now as it is. I surely won't be an "early adopter" of HD radio. Maybe when the equipment drops to $20 and/or we're forced over to digital...

I work for Radio Shack...

Hello folks. I work at Radio Shack. Have done so for 21 years. And I can't wate for the HD)) radio's. It's sad that ,IMHO, we are only going to sell the BA's to start with. If you go to www.radiosophy.com you will see the radio that I am going to buy. Look at all of the features it has.

The future of FM/AM is HD)) Radio!

Norman
KB4TXT

And the funny thing is it sounds like crap. There was a demo in a big box store near us and I wasn't impressed by it at all. They should've made a seperate frequency band for it instead of cramming it on the existing MW/FM bands. Canada has a seperate band for digital transmissions and it sounds a lot better then the HD stuff.

hdtvtechno said:
While i was at the pet store here in chicago like 3 weeks ago, all i heard was advertisements on how great the new HD radio technology is, etc... on the loud speaker in the store :)

KimmiKat said:
And the funny thing is it sounds like crap. There was a demo in a big box store near us and I wasn't impressed by it at all. They should've made a seperate frequency band for it instead of cramming it on the existing MW/FM bands. Canada has a seperate band for digital transmissions and it sounds a lot better then the HD stuff.

That was most likely due to the way that particular station was engineered. HD radio is a new technology and it takes a while for engineers to get the sound quality just right. I've heard that, when done properly, HD radio sounds great. :)

However, I do see one problem for HD radio: limited coverage areas. This problem needs to be fixed ASAP.

It will most likely be fixed by refinements in future generations of receivers, much like what has happened with ATSC 8-VSB tuners for digital TV. I am not in a hurry to spend hundreds of dollars for a receiver that will only work properly within about 20 miles of the transmitter, no matter how good it sounds.

What kind of distance are you talking about? If you want to try receiving HD radio at home the best thing you can have is a good outdoor antenna if you are not in a major metro area. If you already have an outdoor VHF/UHF TV antenna it should do nicely for FM as well.

low cost receivers

i paid 300$ for a jvc hd receiver for my truck. The best use i've found yet, is listening to fm's sister am stations that they are broadcasting on the hd-2 channels. Ironically, there are no am stations broadcasting in hd in my area. Until home receivers come down to the 100$ dollar range i don't think you will see mass appeal.

The Radio Shack stores in New Hampshire do not carry the HD radios, they tell me it’s because there’s only one HD station in NH. Duh, in southern NH (the most populated part of the state) we get all the stations from Boston. And besides there’s more than one HD station in NH if you include the many stations of NH Public Radio.

I want to amend my last post. Some of the RS stores in southern NH, such as the one at the mall in Salem, do carry the HD radios. Sorry if the previous post was incorrect.

they have them here in Canton, Ga. the radio was $199.00 and was dusty I asked the guy if he sold many of them and he said no, that most people get the satellite radio. I would like to get one but not at $200.00.

Could someone please recommend a good HD receiver for distance?

It's not the receiver, it's the antenna. A lot of people complain about the AM reception of HD radios, but the real problem is that the AM antenna that comes with them is crap. I believe Terk makes an amplified AM/FM indoor antenna, this should improve reception considerably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts