Rain Fade

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
I have Dish and Direct for different reasons... Can someone explain to me why Dish handles Rain Fade so much better? I can lose Direct for 30 minutes (and I have excellent signal), but maybe not lose Dish at all or it just go in and out a few times during that time frame. I am Eastern Arc on Dish.

Google for some interesting studies on KA link budgets. The KA 1/2 wavelength is the size of a large raindrop (7mm approx.) and can easily be attenuated or eliminated during any weather event with sheeting or dense rainfall. KA has had significant distribution challenges in regions with significant rain and cloud cover.

C-band is the gold standard, with the highest link budget margins then next is KU then KA. C-band signals will barely be lower and won't drop out during even the most extreme weather. Of course C-band is no longer the preferred Direct To Home distribution method, but it is still the primary way that most subscription services get their general distribution channels from the programmers.

Google for some interesting studies on KA link budgets. The KA 1/2 wavelength is the size of a large raindrop (7mm approx.) and can easily be attenuated or eliminated during any weather event with sheeting or dense rainfall. KA has had significant distribution challenges in regions with significant rain and cloud cover.

C-band is the gold standard, with the highest link budget margins then next is KU then KA. C-band signals will barely be lower and won't drop out during even the most extreme weather. Of course C-band is no longer the preferred Direct To Home distribution method, but it is still the primary way that most subscription services get their general distribution channels from the programmers.
I am glad I went with DISH years ago. Not only I think the equipment is better, I very rarely have rain fade issues. When I do it is just for a few seconds.

I had 0 rain fade yesterday, and we got over 6" of rain here. Of course, I have a "custom rain buster" setup of three 30" Winegard antennas each pointed at one bird (110,119,129).

I was originally on EA here, and for some reason on the 1000.2 dish, you can just get high 40s low 50s in NW Ala on 61.5. I decided to swap to WA myself, and while I was at it I just got those 30" Winegards.

Can I do 2- 30 inch winegards on my Eastern arc, 61.5, 72.7? I already have a Dpp44 in the mix

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Can I do 2- 30 inch winegards on my Eastern arc, 61.5, 72.7? I already have a Dpp44 in the mix

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Yeah, just get some DPP single LNBFs and run those to the DPP-44, this is the dish I use "Winegard DS 2177 30" Satellite Dish with D Shaped tube for Dish Network Support" got them from Solid Signal.

No, but I work on my brothers, and we lose signal at the exact same time for the same period.
Could be a lot of things, the dish could need a check on the alignment, but you are in AZ, the OP is in Louisiana, I am located in Alabama, so the signal could be slightly lower farther east. Also, there is a huge difference in weather. High humidity, lots of rain in Louisiana and here in Alabama too. In AZ you are in a drier climate than the humid sub-tropical climate of the southeast.

Actually, Directvs Slimline IMO is better the Dish networks Eastern Arc against rain fade.
Rain fade with the Slimline is not that bad, Certainly it takes more then a Shower to knock it out.
Ive had Directv from 2007---2013.
The 1000.2EA is far worse!!!!!!

I have ea and 2 days ago I had the first extended length of rain fade. It was probably for 20 minutes. It was a lot of rain that I hadn't seen here before. I turned on the FTA dish and started watching on my 1.2 dish. I was surprised 103 came in like always.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)