Rain Is there a way to tweak a dish give it more Power

keckge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Illinois
Has anyone ever super powered their dish is it even possible to send juice to the damn thing everything else works great! The way the way they designed it to except when it rains its crazy now. Its peaked perfectly I tried the 129 secondary dish that didn't work so lastly is there a way to augment the actual dish itself with more power so it does not lose signal while its raining?

Assuming you are right about peaking the dish, and assuming you don't have foliage or other obstacles impinging on your LOS, there is not much else you can do other than replace the dish pan with a larger dish, e.g. from a 1000+.

Well seeing satellites are 22,300 miles from the equator just move yor dish to 11,000 miles from the satellite and that should at least double the strength. I don't know if that will super power it though?

I was just curious if someone some how has figured out how to plug the darn thing into a power source other then a switch. That gave it quite a bit more juice to make it thru rain.

I was just curious if someone some how has figured out how to plug the darn thing into a power source other then a switch. That gave it quite a bit more juice to make it thru rain.

Seriously the only way to offset the signal loss caused by rain drops is to increase the surface area of the reflector. Somewhere in the area of 10' is the starting point if I remember some discussions about NBC switching to Ku band.

Accurate aiming of your current dish along with good watertight connections will minimize rain fade.

Trying to "juice up" the lnbs will not do anything except burn them up. They receive only. They can only receive what is focused onto them by the dish reflector. The only way to have an effect on that is to aim the dish reflector properly or to increase the size of the reflector.

The problem with rain fade is physics. The length of a Ku signal is about the same size as a rain drop. To many raindrops and the signals are absorbed/blocked and the signal is lost. No matter, if you could, would juicing up a dish do anything, if the signal isn't getting through.

How to Eliminate Rain Problems

You have a common problem on your hands, what you want to do is minimize the effects of rain on your dish. When it gets wet, the surface tension of the raindrops on the surface of the dish causes the invisible satellite waves to "scatter" and not end up where they need to go. Here is how I solved the problem at my place. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachments

• dish.jpg
    dish.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 232
dwarren2 said:
The problem with rain fade is physics. The length of a Ku signal is about the same size as a rain drop. To many raindrops and the signals are absorbed/blocked and the signal is lost. No matter, if you could, would juicing up a dish do anything, if the signal isn't getting through.

That's right... Doesn't matter how big the dish is if there is no signal to collect...

arcticracer said:
You have a common problem on your hands, what you want to do is minimize the effects of rain on your dish. When it gets wet, the surface tension of the raindrops on the surface of the dish causes the invisible satellite waves to "scatter" and not end up where they need to go. Here is how I solved the problem at my place. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I sense sarcasm...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts