Rainbow Media Unveils DIVINE HD First Ever 24/7 High-Definition Gay Movie Channel Exc

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtt2

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Rainbow Media Unveils DIVINE HD First Ever 24/7 High-Definition Gay Movie Channel Exclusively on VOOM
Wednesday May 26, 6:15 pm ET
New, Exclusive VOOM HD Originals Channel to Launch June 1; Channel to Feature Extensive Movie Line-Up and Original Programming Showcasing Notable Personalities from Gay & Lesbian Community

JERICHO, N.Y., May 26 /PRNewswire/ -- On June 1, Rainbow Media, the nation's leading high-definition service will break new ground as it launches DIVINE HD a mix of movies and programming of interest to the diverse gay and lesbian audience. Coinciding with Gay and Lesbian pride month, DIVINE HD will be exclusively available to VOOM subscribers throughout the continental United States. DIVINE HD is part of VOOM's HD Cinema 10, a multiplex-style movie suite.

DIVINE's programming will include classic films starring gay icons, musicals, and newer movies with overt and underlying gay themes. Over 100 movie titles have been acquired including films such as: The Producers, The Divine Miss M., Les Cage aux Folles 1 and 2, Birdcage, Kissing Jessica Stein, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Love Valor Compassion, and Outrageous.

Each film will be introduced by one of DIVINE's "HDivas," notable gay personalities who will put each film into the larger gay context for viewers. Everyone from celebrated drag queens to notable authors and directors will provide commentary on the films.

In addition to the introductions, "HDivas" will present original entertainment segments featuring cabaret-style performances. Celebrated drag queens like Hedda Lettuce, Miss Understood and Miss Bettie will entertain viewers. Personalities including: Paris is Burning director, Jenny Livingston, award-winning author Gary Indiana, and renowned Village Voice journalist Michael Musto will provide commentary on the films, plus stand alone entertainment segments.

In addition, VOOM has drawn on the gay and lesbian community to create the overall brand identity for the channel. From logos to music, the look of DIVINE HD will be diverse and inclusive, just like the community it serves.

"DIVINE HD is another prime example of Rainbow Media's innovation by being first-to-market in tapping new and fast growing niches. Always on the cutting edge, Rainbow also conceived and created BRAVO, WE Women's Entertainment and IFC among others. We are committed to providing viewers with both entertaining and innovative gay programming," says Joshua Sapan, President and Chief Executive Officer, Rainbow Media Holdings LLC. "The entertainment will appeal to gay and lesbians as well as straight fans of pop culture, movies and hip entertainment."

Nora Ryan, senior vice president of business development, Rainbow Media Holdings, LLC, says, "DIVINE HD will entertain with a range of favorite movies, and in high-definition those films will look more fabulous than ever! Watching DIVINE HD will be like spending a day hanging out with your funny, clever, gay friend. There are no judgments. No stigma. No political 'agendas,' unless your agenda is to hang out and watch smart TV. Basically it's a channel for Will. And Grace."

According to Michael Musto, "Divine HD will show undisputed classics as well as some gems from the vaults -- those pivotal movies you either didn't know about or relegated to your memory banks, but which defined an era and exuded talent and promise that make them even more fascinating today. Since the films will be shown in high definition, these films will look pristinely close to the way they were originally presented."

In the coming months VOOM will look to expand the DIVINE HD programming beyond movies to showcase theater productions and stand-up specials that would be shot in high-definition.

VOOM HD Originals include: WorldSport HD, international sports in HD; Auction HD, an inside look at exclusive live auctions; unique animation entertainment on Animania HD; artistic masterpieces from around the world on Gallery HD; spine-chilling movies on Monsters HD; 24/7 news shot in native HD on HDNews; experimental non-narrative video art on MOOV; the latest pop music concerts on Rave HD; in-your-face action sports on Rush HD; the best in fashion, food and fine living on Ultra HD; and HD Cinema 10, a 10-channel multiplex of uncut, commercial-free movies in HD.

About Rainbow Media Holdings LLC

The exclusive VOOM HD Originals package of 21 commercial-free HD channels was created by Rainbow Media Holdings LLC. A leader in sports, news and entertainment programming, Rainbow Media Holdings LLC is a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC - News). Rainbow Media owns and manages national networks: AMC, Fuse, IFC (The Independent Film Channel) and WE: Women's Entertainment; as well as the on-demand services: Mag Rack, Uncensored On Demand, World Picks On Demand and World Picks Networks. Rainbow Media's other businesses include its regional programming services -- MetroChannels, News 12 Networks and Rainbow Sports Networks -- in addition to the Rainbow Advertising Sales Corporation and Rainbow Network Communications. Rainbow Media is also a 50 percent partner in Fox Sports Net.

About VOOM and Rainbow DBS

VOOM, provided by Rainbow DBS, Cablevision System Corporation's satellite service division, is the first television service to provide a comprehensive array of high-definition (HD) programming for the rapidly growing but underserved HDTV audience. VOOM offers more than 30 premium high-definition channels including an exclusive VOOM package of 21 brand-new, commercial-free channels such as Ultra, HDNews, WorldSports, Epics, and Animania. The service also includes over 70 of the most popular cable channels in standard- definition (SD), 18 digital music channels, and over-the-air digital broadcast channels in HD, where available. VOOM is offered across the continental United States through local Sears retailers, by calling 1 800-GET-VOOM, or by visiting http://www.voom.com.

MAN,I thought this was going to be a joke, ya know "rainbow media", But I found the Press Release on PRNewswire's website. Man there are a ton of other channels I would prefer to to see. But oh well, I gues they have to make everyone happy.

vurbano said:
Instead Of Inhd1 And 2 We Are Getting Gay Movies!!! And Wealth Tv?

Well, technicaly their just renaming one of the Cinema 10s, but they wasted more money on crap content. Classics my ass, I've seen every movie they listed their and they sucked. The Producers the movie isn't God awful. It's the play everyone loves.

OK. Let me get this straight. VOOM is struggling to add customers and they add a channel that only a miniscule percentage of the population would be actually interested in watching. What a spectacular waste of bandwidth!! I hate to say it but I'm starting to have a bad feeling about VOOM'S future! Give me INHD! Give me INHD2! Anything but this!!

After carefully reading, I think that this would be a virtual channel embeded into the Cinema 10. Notice where it says:

"DIVINE HD is part of VOOM's HD Cinema 10"

Walter L. said:
After carefully reading, I think that this would be a virtual channel embeded into the Cinema 10. Notice where it says:

"DIVINE HD is part of VOOM's HD Cinema 10"
THANKYOU GOD

So I guess it is Cinema 9 now forthe rest of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts