Rainbow Spin-off is dead

Voom will survive

All i can say i was watching voom 6 months ago, 3 months ago, and today and will be watching 3 and 6 months down the line. What difference does it make who owns Voom. I watch Universal Movies. Universal Studios was owned by a Spielberg conglomerate, then Vivendi bought it and it became Vivendi Universal, then NBC bought it. Did it make a difference to the viewer of Universal Movies, the end line, NO.

Corporations are bought and sold, it is part of life, it is for the stock analysts to worry about that, we are all HD viewers ; all i want is to hit the voom power on button on my remote and see the best HD anywhere in the world which is what voom is giving us. If echostar, Microsoft buys it, is may even be better cause they will have deeper pockets. I think we are all freaking out too much. I understand our concern but we shouldnt let the doomers enjoy our apprehension.

My sister got married 3 months ago, she lives in a different house with her husband, but she is still my sister and always will be. Voom will mutate and have different owners, maybe but it will always be the voom we have come to love and enjoy and get even better with the DVR and 70 channels. We are talking about maybe 300 to 400 million to buy Voom, not 200 billion , that is pocket change in corporate America. Bill Gates can drop that in Vegas in a weekend. Heck if Gates buys Voom, we could play XBox live games in Hd and have blue ray DVR burning capabilities on our voom box . It could be very interesting since Sony and Microsoft have a Strategic Alliance. This could all turn out OK.

Trust me everything will be OK. We will be Vooming Foreeeeeeever

calikarim said:
All i can say i was watching voom 6 months ago, 3 months ago, and today and will be watching 3 and 6 months down the line. What difference does it make who owns Voom. I watch Universal Movies. Universal Studios was owned by a Spielberg conglomerate, then Vivendi bought it and it became Vivendi Universal, then Sony bought it.

Ummm, Sony did not buy Universal, they bought MGM, General Electric (NBC) bought Universal.

calikarim said:
All i can say i was watching voom 6 months ago, 3 months ago, and today and will be watching 3 and 6 months down the line. What difference does it make who owns Voom.
I think the problem is that VOOM has done such a poor job marketing their service that a buyer of the VOOM satellite and uplink and production facility may not have any interest in the customer list and programming. A customer list of 25,000 is a drop in the bucket to any other satellite company particularly when all of these customers need to choose a new provider anyway. Also, the programming, no matter how good it was, never had more than 25,000 viewers between all of the VOOM channels combined. Hardly proven performers.

People are not freaking out about VOOM changing owners - they are freaking out about either having purchased a box that will no longer be of any use or about losing their favorite VOOM HD channels permanently. Also, they will need to go through the trouble of setting up with a new cable or satellite company.

jnardone said:
calikarim said:
People are not freaking out about VOOM changing owners - they are freaking out about either having purchased a box that will no longer be of any use or about losing their favorite VOOM HD channels permanently. Also, they will need to go through the trouble of setting up with a new cable or satellite company.
I would miss all the HD channels, but I wouldn't get upset since I didn't purchase the equipment. My other choices are easy:

-Adelphia Cable can kiss my grits! I will never again subscribe to their cable garbage and cable would only be a distant consideration if they purchased by Comcast or Cox.

-I have no desire to subscribe to D* or E*. They simply do not offer enough HD and I have no desire to watch much SD these days. Their HD offering may change in a year or two...I can wait.

-So if VOOM goes bust then it's back to OTA. I will purchase a stand-alone HD DVR w/firewire (RCA?) to connect to my Mits and enjoy the best HD available...assuming multicasting doesn't get out of control. :no

25000 elite viewers

You guys (jnardone etc), are underestimating us Voom viewers. We are the creme de la creme of HD purchasing bucks, the rolls royce of HD. There are only 100 000 Ferraris made every year, and they are sold out of the production line. The buyers of Ferraris are highly sought after because they can plunk done $250, 000 or more to buy a Ferrari. Look at the profile of allthe posters. They have multiple satellite providers, sets that are worth between $5000 to $10,000. My satellite bill is over $200 a month, with International programming - Dish Indian programming, plus Voom. I would easily spend twice that to get progamming that i want. Your average cable viewer spends $35 a month and bitch . Satellite providers die to have the calibre of Customers us Voomers are.

We have a higher disposable income and would not hesitate to spend $ on software and hardware upgrades that is average America. I bet you if the DVR was $2000 it would still be sold out on the Voom arena. I would rather have 25,000 Ferrari like SAtellite customer that would plunk $100 for their HD package than 100,000 Honda like Satellite customer that want to spend $19.95 for progamming.

Never underestimate US. We are the trendsetters. The elite of the elite and we are prized after. Elite not just in terms of Dollars, look at the intelligence level of the posters in this forums. The level of HD cognizance is incredible. They are the ones that will influence ideas on MPEG spectrums, Bandwidth, etc. We talk people listen.

riffjim4069 said:

-I have no desire to subscribe to D* or E*. They simply do not offer enough HD and I have no desire to watch much SD these days. Their HD offering may change in a year or two...I can wait.

-So if VOOM goes bust then it's back to OTA. I will purchase a stand-alone HD DVR w/firewire (RCA?) to connect to my Mits and enjoy the best HD available...assuming multicasting doesn't get out of control. :no

Have you considered combining the two? Both D* & E* offer Dual satellite HD tuners combined with OTA HD in a DVR? You can watch/record HD both OTA & Satellite.
:cool:

SaltiDawg said:
Have you considered combining the two? Both D* & E* offer Dual satellite HD tuners combined with OTA HD in a DVR? You can watch/record HD both OTA & Satellite.
:cool:
Nope! While I do like my HDTV, I am also pretty tight with my money. D* and E* just don't off enough HD to make it worth my time; and I am certainly not going to spend $299 for an HD receiver or up to $1000 for an HD DVR for so little programming...even if I could subscribe to their HD ONLY package (not interested in SD). I have two antennas receiving programming from 4 DMAs and three HDTV each with an integrated ATSC/QAM tuner. If VOOM were to go bust, D* and E* currently don't offer a compelling reason to subscribe to their service. This may very well change in the next year or two, but this is also the reason I'm content with VOOM.

calikarim said:
You guys (jnardone etc), are underestimating us Voom viewers....<snip>
Well said! :bow What those non-Voomers don't understand is that Voom is like "broadband" compared to everybody else's "dial-up line", with regards to HD. Once you take broadband for granted, you cannot get excited about other people's claims of how great their dial-up is. There is no going back, and the same applies to HDTV. Voomers just can't get excited about D* or E* or cable after enjoying all the HD on Voom for several months (not to mention no commercials on the exclusives, which to me is almost as important as HD).

Well, "calikarim", I agree with you in part. Many posters on here are very knowledgeable about satellite service and about the HD devices to receive and display the HD signal. And many "have a higher disposable income" but many don't. I'm in the median of the median, have no other sat service and never have, do not use cable for TV but do have it for broadband and don't own a Ferrari but do own a Subaru WRX.

That said we do have a 96" front projection DLP system along with an excellent surround sound system. Yes, we are trend setters as well having acquired a Samsung HD STB and a Radio Shack antenna almost 2 years ago, became hooked on HD and signed up for VOOM when we got that "fateful" mailer describing their service.

Those we know and who are becoming excited about HD via VOOM do not fit in the upper income catagory and cannot afford "over $200 a month" for sat and/or cable service but can afford VOOM with the basic package and maybe one of the premium. The only way VOOM can become profitable is to make their service available to the masses. There simply are not enough high income or committed HD users to justify the money VOOM/Cablevision is pouring into their service without this broad customer base.

Riffjim has posted on the numbers already. He may have pulled some of them out of his arse but, obviously, has given it a lot of thought.

And I agree with 1080iBeVuMin's thoughts on never being able to go back to "dial-up" as we rarely watch SD except for news. However, locally much of the news is beginning to be broadcast in HD. Now if they can only get more HD video cameras out in the field we'll see more of what we don't need to know in HD!

Still watching HDTV under very foggy Seattle skies, Gill

calikarim said:
You guys (jnardone etc), are underestimating us Voom viewers. We are the creme de la creme of HD purchasing bucks, the rolls royce of HD. .......

I think that is a lot fewer people than you think. A $1 down, $40 per month lease on a ferrari doesn't attract only rich people. VOOM tried to be what you think it is at first with the $800 price tag. That failed miserably so they started lowering the price, and lowered it again, and then again. If they want to serve the needs of the "creme de la creme" then they need a way for people to record the HD programming either through the DVR or at least a firewire output. I was willing to pay the $800 last year for my VOOM system though at the time there was the expectation that the receiver would be swapped for the DVR receiver which was due out in a few weeks. If VOOM had attracted 250,000 subscribers instead of 25,000 then maybe whoever purchases the assets would have some interest in serving the VOOM customers and supporting the equipment but I really don't see that happening. VOOM's failure to operate its business properly has let us all down.

calikarim said:
You guys (jnardone etc), are underestimating us Voom viewers. We are the creme de la creme of HD purchasing bucks, the rolls royce of HD. There are only 100 000 Ferraris made every year, and they are sold out of the production line. The buyers of Ferraris are highly sought after because they can plunk done $250, 000 or more to buy a Ferrari. Look at the profile of allthe posters. They have multiple satellite providers, sets that are worth between $5000 to $10,000. My satellite bill is over $200 a month, with International programming - Dish Indian programming, plus Voom. I would easily spend twice that to get progamming that i want. Your average cable viewer spends $35 a month and bitch . Satellite providers die to have the calibre of Customers us Voomers are.

We have a higher disposable income and would not hesitate to spend $ on software and hardware upgrades that is average America. I bet you if the DVR was $2000 it would still be sold out on the Voom arena. I would rather have 25,000 Ferrari like SAtellite customer that would plunk $100 for their HD package than 100,000 Honda like Satellite customer that want to spend $19.95 for progamming.

Never underestimate US. We are the trendsetters. The elite of the elite and we are prized after. Elite not just in terms of Dollars, look at the intelligence level of the posters in this forums. The level of HD cognizance is incredible. They are the ones that will influence ideas on MPEG spectrums, Bandwidth, etc. We talk people listen.
\
I agree for the most part but the big question still remains, are there enough of us to support a company like Voom especially when a lot of Us are being turned off by the business practices of Voom. My guess is Voom would rather be loved by the masses than JUST be loved by US, simply because it equates to money, Again though i wish i could love Voom. Voom hasnt given me a reason to even care if they survive.

1080iBeVuMin said:
Well said! :bow What those non-Voomers don't understand is that Voom is like "broadband" compared to everybody else's "dial-up line", with regards to HD. Once you take broadband for granted, you cannot get excited about other people's claims of how great their dial-up is. There is no going back, and the same applies to HDTV. Voomers just can't get excited about D* or E* or cable after enjoying all the HD on Voom for several months (not to mention no commercials on the exclusives, which to me is almost as important as HD).
Wrong Wrong Wrong, Millions of dollars in startup costs were saved by using existing lines, Cable was already in millions of homes before they even thought up cable modems, as for being like Voom yes in one way they surely are , @home was the original provider of the cable modem service for just about every cable company around and they too screwed up royally in installs and customer service in the beginning, they were bought out by the cable co's, i do see Voom being bought and hopefully the service and csr will improve to make millions want to join, as of now Voom is having trouble getting over the 50 thousand or so mark.

Here is a new story about whats going on, a little new info, but more of same, I'll put the new stuff in bold.

rticle Published: Tuesday, December 28, 2004
Lockheed TV-satellite work continues

By Robert Barba
Denver Post Staff Writer

Last week, Cablevision Systems Corp. canceled its plans to spin off Voom, its struggling satellite-TV subsidiary.

Although Voom's fate is unknown, Lockheed Martin said Monday that it will continue to develop satellites for Cablevision under a $740 million contract signed in November.

"We are proceeding on schedule," said Dee Valleras, a spokeswoman for Lockheed's commercial space systems office in Newtown, Pa., where the five satellites are being designed, developed and manufactured.

Lockheed's space systems division has headquarters in Jefferson County.

The first satellite is expected to be completed and launched in about 33 months. Subsequent satellites will be completed in three-month increments, Valleras said.
Cablevision declined to comment.

The Long Island, N.Y.-based company is exploring alternatives for Voom. The high-definition satellite service was launched 14 months ago.

Despite offering 39 high-definition channels, VOOM has struggled to gain market share and has only 26,000 subscribers.

Analysts have tagged Douglas County-based EchoStar as a possible buyer of Voom.

An EchoStar spokesman declined to comment. Through its Dish Network, EchoStar offers subscribers nine channels of high-definition television .

Staff writer Robert Barba can be reached at 303-820-1209 or rbarba@denverpost.com.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~33~2621316,00.html

Why would voom buy satellites

If Cablevisions's Dolans had the vision to commit $740 million to purchase satellites why would they a month later contemplate folding the company. I think it is preposterous, they know something we don't. That is why i think they know a white knight is going to step it, a very rich white knight. Most business think month ahead, they wouldn't make close to a billion dollar commitment and then a month later say "Guess what guys lets file Chapter 11". Also Lockheed must have got some form of guarantee that VCoom would be there in 33 months, financiallly etc. I am sure they know Voom's subscriber base of 25,000 people.

That is why i believe there are positive things going on in the flanks of these corporate boardrooms that we have no clue about and after the New Year we will all get a pleasant surprise.

We will all be Vooming into 2005 and beyond

T

I hope they got something cool up their sleeves, I really REALLY don't want to see Voom go, I personally really enjoy feeling like I have the best damn setup in the neighborhood and I pay about as much as D* users have with less channels. I really like the bragging rights.. don't TAKE IT AWAY.

calikarim said:
If Cablevisions's Dolans had the vision to commit $740 million to purchase satellites why would they a month later contemplate folding the company. I think it is preposterous, they know something we don't. That is why i think they know a white knight is going to step it, a very rich white knight. Most business think month ahead, they wouldn't make close to a billion dollar commitment and then a month later say "Guess what guys lets file Chapter 11". Also Lockheed must have got some form of guarantee that VCoom would be there in 33 months, financiallly etc. I am sure they know Voom's subscriber base of 25,000 people.

That is why i believe there are positive things going on in the flanks of these corporate boardrooms that we have no clue about and after the New Year we will all get a pleasant surprise.

We will all be Vooming into 2005 and beyond

T

They have some kind of deal with Lockheed if they cancel the deal, they (Voom) only has to pay $100 million

Found them:

Voom said it has enough cash on hand to make an estimated $48 million of payments under the Lockheed satellite contract through the first year, but it didn't say how it would pay down the line.

If Voom runs into trouble, there is one possible out: The company has the right to cancel the entire agreement or the purchase of individual satellites at any time, though it would be required to make an undisclosed termination payment, according to a regulatory filing.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=241312&postcount=86

In the best-case scenario, writes Jayant, no new satellites are built but a $100 million termination fee is incurred.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=244297&postcount=1

You say "only has to pay $100 million" like I say 'only have 5 bucks left' I think it's safe to say they would rather not pay that 100mil.

B.Greenway said:
You say "only has to pay $100 million" like I say 'only have 5 bucks left' I think it's safe to say they would rather not pay that 100mil.

Either that or $750 million ( if they don't make it, hopefully they will)

SeattleVoomer1 said:
...The only way VOOM can become profitable is to make their service available to the masses. There simply are not enough high income or committed HD users to justify the money VOOM/Cablevision is pouring into their service without this broad customer base...
This is exactly the issue, isn't it? Can Voom survive as a luxury service with a few deep-pocketed subscribers? Or must it attract everybody to make a go of it?

I tend to side with the Ferrari luxury service model. They might not need that many subscribers, perhaps 2% of the total market (just guessing), to thrive as a high-end service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts