Raleigh HD locals...no FOX..no CBS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hoopty

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could help me out. The point of this is to get Carolina Panthers games in HD....HD locals in Raleigh went live yesterday. I can't get local FOX HD with my antenna. I am getting my new 5LNB installed next wednesday, but they wont have FOX or CBS. I NEED Fox HD so I can see Panthers games this fall. I have the NFL ticket (w/Superfan) and I heard that games may not be blacked out. Anyone know if this is true? If not, is it possible to "move" to a different address (my mountains house) so as to get HD locals from Charlotte? Would that involve re-aiming my dish? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

They use spot beams for the local broadcasts which allow them to broadcast to only a specific area of the country, if you aren't under the footprint of the beam for Charlotte, switching your address won't do you any good.

Blackout rules have not changed for the upcoming season...maybe next, therfor
your local Fox & CBS station affiliates likely will be showing the Panthers, so it
looks like you will have to find a antenna that will get the stations for you.

Thanks for the advice! That being the case, I'll probably just cancel the installation and keep my "old" equipment. I own the old equipment but would be leasing the new equipment...and the old equipment is only a year old and I paid big bucks for it. I'll be on the lookout for a new antenna. thanks again

I can not believe WRAL and WRAZ are not available in the HD local line up.
WRAL has always been very big in the HD side of things, they were the 1st HD channel in the US. They are totally HD and WRAZ is the sister station of WRAL..
This really baffles me.

You may have answered your own questions:

They are big and may be holding out for a HUGE, over-valued carriage contract.

That's right...I think WRAL was the first to broadcast in HD in the US.

Hoopty said:
Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could help me out. The point of this is to get Carolina Panthers games in HD....HD locals in Raleigh went live yesterday. I can't get local FOX HD with my antenna. I am getting my new 5LNB installed next wednesday, but they wont have FOX or CBS. I NEED Fox HD so I can see Panthers games this fall. I have the NFL ticket (w/Superfan) and I heard that games may not be blacked out. Anyone know if this is true? If not, is it possible to "move" to a different address (my mountains house) so as to get HD locals from Charlotte? Would that involve re-aiming my dish? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I also live around the Raleigh and I am fortunate enough to pick up all channels with an antenna. I called Direct TV and talked to them about the added HD locals and they told me that our local fox and cbs stations are under negotiations and it should be soon when they are up. So I think by football season you should have the Panthers in HD, and that is a beautiful site to see, but not as good as watching the GIANTS in HD on superfan.

on a side note I was really pleased with the picture quality of the mpeg 4 local channels enough to say I was impressed. Way to go D*!!!
Oops am I allowed to give D* props on something.

Last edited:
For those living in the Raleigh Durham area who have the 5LNB dish, how/where was it installed. On a pole, roof, side of house, etc. My install is set for July 12 and I'm trying to understand what the local installers are doing in our area.

I live in Raleigh and my 5LNB goes up tomorrow...

I read in a forum somewhere that the H20 gets better reception from the OTA than previous receivers. I can get all locals with my OTA but WRAL breaks up a lot. I'm hoping this new receiver will help the situation.

ejdowden said:
For those living in the Raleigh Durham area who have the 5LNB dish, how/where was it installed. On a pole, roof, side of house, etc. My install is set for July 12 and I'm trying to understand what the local installers are doing in our area.

Be there with the installer and show/tell him where and how YOU want it. Barring any LoS issues, you should get it how you want it done.

They put my 5 lnb on a pole beside my house. installer said he preferred not to put these on the roof as they are bigger and more susceptible to catching wind. i wasn't too crazy about the idea of holes going in my new roof either.

The installer just left. I don't know if he should have used support arms with a pole mount, but he didn't. He also couldn't secure the dish tightly to the pole because he ran out of self tapping screws, so I had to tap it out and put a 1/4" bolt in. but its finished ! I find it hard to believe that the new dish can only be installed on flat roofs, I did see one installed on a fascia board ( with no support arms ) - That cant be good, especially down here in south Florida. Oh well -:cool:

Attachments

• satellite pole 001.jpg
    satellite pole 001.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 233
  • satellite pole 002.jpg
    satellite pole 002.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
ejdowden said:

I had them place it on the side of my deck. I was lucky enough to have not obstructions doing this. My installer said he has never put a dish on a roof and when people asked him too he would make them sign a waiver which he said made them change there mind and opt for a pole concreted in the ground most of the time.

Does anyone know if WRAZ & WRAL every started broadcasting in HD on D*?

Thanks,
Ted

OK. I e-mailed the station manager at WRAL to see what is up with this. I'll post any response I get.

Ted

WRAL's side of the story:

"WRAL and WRAZ continues to want everyone in the market to be
able to receive and enjoy our HD signals. Unfortunately, some of the
program providers, such as DirecTV and Dish, are still unable to offer
WRAL-HD or WRAZ-HD to the market. However, other pay providers such as
Time Warner and Cox do provide our HD signals.

In regards to DirecTV, we have been working with DirecTV to reach an
agreement that will provide all viewers in the Raleigh market our HD
signals. However, at this time DirecTV has only offered to provide the
WRAL and WRAZ HD signals to less than 75% of the market which we find
unacceptable. We are continuing to negotiate in good faith with DirecTV
and look forward to a speedy resolution."

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)