Raleigh HD Locals

Yes, I am using diplexers now and was wondering if running a separate feed would eliminate some of my issues (739 signal loss issue and the epg loss issue)
Yes.
As it may have worked flawlessly with D*, E* is already combining 2 feeds on to one cable for the 622. So running a separate cable for OTA is the solution you seek.

Its been 2 weeks since anybody asked, so here goes . . . .

What is the latest on getting WRAL and WRAZ in HD??

It appears that now that it's on D*, it should arrive on DISH soon. WRAL is even advertising the fact that their HD channel is available on D*.

I spoke to a CSR yesterday, cancelling some services on my account, and asked about it and he checked with someone else and said they are still working on it.

Does not really matter now

I "moved " to Chicago and get all the locals in wonderful HD.

To me it is the WRAL and WRAZ advertisers that are getting the short end of the stick. I know about 8 people in the area that have moved as well and we are all telling others on how to get HD on all networks.

We all know that WRAL does not give a damn or they would have settled this already. The CBS and Fox stations in several markets are still holding out HD to its Dish customers. They say its about spotbeam....I say its about money.

So I say ...Go ahead and holdout WRAL......People will move and when you do settle the issue they probably will not go through the hassle of moving back .

And your advertisers are benefiting from this how?

Signed

Happy in Chicago :)

What about WRAL and WRAZ HD?

It's been a while since anyone posted this question, so here it is again... does anyone know when are WRAL HD and WRAZ HD going to be carried by Dish? It's been a while since D* has been carrying them , you'd think that Dish would want to keep up with their main competitor...

I had my Dish 500+ installed last week, in order to receive at least WTVD and WNCN. I had read about this bug with the EPG showing "Digital Service" for 5.1 and 50.1 but was expecting (hoping) that it would have been fixed by now. Unfortunately, it wasn't. As soon as I had my signal from the 118 bird, I started suffering the same problem. The problem is that this EPG bug messes up all DVR timers that you might have set up for 5.1 and 50.1 OTA, which by coincidence (??) are the ones that Dish does not carry.

A quick email exchange with Dish tech support made it clear that they really don't care about the problem ("we don't guarantee the EPG for OTA signals").

Since then, I have disconnected the cable carrying the signal from the 118 satellite. I prefer to have a reliable EPG, even if it means I can only record from one HD local at a time. So for me, it is as if Dish didn't carry any HD locals at all... :(

If (when?) Dish fixes the EPG problem, or they add WRAL HD and WRAZ HD to their lineup, please someone post to this thread, as I won't find out otherwise (since I disconnected my 118 satellite).

Since then, I have disconnected the cable carrying the signal from the 118 satellite. I prefer to have a reliable EPG ...

I have not thought of that, great idea. I imagine anybody (not just Raleigh) that gets HD locals from 118 but not ALL of the big 4 are offered by DISH, suffer from this.

I "moved " to Chicago and get all the locals in wonderful HD.

To me it is the WRAL and WRAZ advertisers that are getting the short end of the stick. I know about 8 people in the area that have moved as well and we are all telling others on how to get HD on all networks.

We all know that WRAL does not give a damn or they would have settled this already. The CBS and Fox stations in several markets are still holding out HD to its Dish customers. They say its about spotbeam....I say its about money.

So I say ...Go ahead and holdout WRAL......People will move and when you do settle the issue they probably will not go through the hassle of moving back .

And your advertisers are benefiting from this how?

Signed

Happy in Chicago :)

Hrm... I "moved' to chicago from yesterday when I had "moved" to raleigh... I'm still only getting the raleigh stations...and my ota now says digital... wtf?!

I was hoping to get more hd "locals' this way... but now I have just sd raleigh, and no local epg anymore!

whats up with that? btw, raleigh move worked perfectly... channels had changed within mins... now its been like 10 and nothing.. rebooted receiver and did a check switch... no dice.

and...now its 1 hour behind on the clock :S

Last edited:
another question... atlanta... thats conus as well for hd right? I just wanna get the main networks. I have an ota for my real locals.

Not sure about Atlanta, but New York is. ;)

Thats good to know. I changed back to raleigh for the time being, but realized that I need a 1000+ instead of a 1000.2 which I have now.

I just want to be able to (now it doesnt matter since the seasons over) record heroes, 24, and for my wife that old christine show all at the same time.

I mainly dvr a lot of network stuff during the week, and hate having to see it in sd, so I was looking for whatever I could pick up on the 1000.2

I've called 3 times in 3 days so I'll probably wait a bit before calling back again.

The one downside I noticed, was that when I changed to chicago, I lost my ota epg... If I changed to newyork, would that be a problem?

The one downside I noticed, was that when I changed to chicago, I lost my ota epg... If I changed to newyork, would that be a problem?

Yes, if you "move" to Chicago, Dish sends you Chicago locals EPG. You can't have it both ways.

I guess I'll have to stick with the raleigh move, and upgrade my dish here in the next few months. I dont have a switch atm, so that means new dish and switch.... probably a good 180 -200 dollar investment.

:(

It looks like we now have OTA sub-channel info on the EPG (at least I see it for the WUNC variants).. now if they can just get the WRAL/WRAZ data to stick around...

as a side note, what is the easiest way to FORCE an EPG download? The simple power-off/reset doesn't always do it for me.. my only sure fire process so far is to do a "point-dish, test, then cancel my way back up the menus".. which takes 10+ minutes to reacquire the sat and DL EPG (so I can get WRAL and WRAZ when they show up as "no info/digital".

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)