Ran out of space in main circuit breaker panel, what to do?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I was self employed in Az doing electrical for 15 yrs and I would replace the AC breaker with a tanbom breaker of the proper rating ,I'm not familiar with the electrical codes in CA but you will need a gfci type breaker.

Reactions: N6BY
I'll "second"or "third" the opinion that you NEED to have a qualified electrician give you an estimate on what is required for your hot tub installation. They will know the cost of increasing your service (dealing with the power company), and/or getting your existing wiring up to local code. Then you "could" do your own work as long as you get it inspected after.

I've never been a big fan of hot tubs... Yes they are nice to lay back in and relax, but the electrical bill and maintenance would cause me more consternation than what I would get out of it. They are best though if someone else pays the bills and does the maintenance. :)
I see them as a breeding ground for germs

I was self employed in Az doing electrical for 15 yrs and I would replace the AC breaker with a tanbom breaker of the proper rating ,I'm not familiar with the electrical codes in CA but you will need a gfci type breaker.
That would work, but unfortunately they dont make tandem 60 amp breakers for my box. (The A/C takes 60 amps). Probably due to overheating concerns.

Last edited:
What I might be able to do is replace the solar panel breaker with a 20/50 amp tandem breaker. The current breaker for the solar panel is 25 amps, but they don't make 25/50 amp tandem breakers. However, on the inverter it lists 17 amps as the maximum output so a 20 amp should be fine.

As for the SPA GFCI requirement -- that will be at the sub-panel near the spa. According to code, the main panel breaker must be standard (not GFCI) because you can't have two GFCI's in the same circuit.

This morning I had the owner of an HVAC company come and take a look at my options for adding the hot tub breaker. I know him from my bowling league and his company does lots of electrical work.

He said I should get a 30/50 amp tandem breaker because the solar wire is 10 gauge and is rated for 30 amps.

I ordered the breaker. Should get it next week. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)