Random thoughts on the baseball season's final weekend

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
As we approach the final weekend of the baseball season and the end of September, time to put up my biannual Random Thoughts:

1. I told you guys that Joe McKnight was not as great as people claim he is- two fumbles last night and zero touchdowns this season. If you want an exciting player who takes your breath awat, holds on to the football and actually gets in the endzone, how about Mizzou's Jeremy Maclin?

2. Looks like USC may have to 'settle' for another Rose Bowl.

3. It was on this day 20 years ago that Ben Johnson was stripped of the gold medal for steroids- hard to believe it's been that long.

4. Nice to see Sandra back.

5. Will we have a one-game playoff in baseball for the second straight year?

6. I think having Wendi Nix covering college football is a good idea.

7. Oklahoma or Georgia- Who's more likely to take over the #1 spot?

8. In 1969, Texas-Arkansas was such a ridiculously hyped game; Saturday, it'll be a ridiculously lopsided game.

9. The Mariners became the first team EVER to lose 100 games with a $100 million payroll- can you say 'fan refund?'

10. Over/under: 48 points for Denver against the Chiefs?

11. Am I the only one who thinks Eagles/Bears is a bad game to schedule for Sunday Night?

12. I hope 'College Gameday' heads to Big 12 country soon; otherwise, I feel it's becoming 'SEC Gameday.'

13. Over/Under: 15 points combined in the Auburn/Tennessee game? :D

14. Last year when the Ravens played the Steelers on a Monday night, Baltimore got humiliated. Will we see another thrashing?

15. I wish Sam could give other teams in the country respect; he acts as if every team not in the SEC is garbage. We have members on this site from SEC country (mccoy, jwfgeol, ramy), but they actually RESPECT the other high-ranked teams in the country, such as BYU.

16. Anyone ever listen to 'Mike and Mike in the Morning?' They are very funny and entertaining, especially their 'Stone Cold Lead Pipe Locks.'

17. You think the Chiefs or Rams should try and get homestate QB Chase Daniel in the 2009 Draft?

18. I'm glad that other NFL QB's are stepping up this year- Cutler, Romo, McNabb. I was getting a little bored hearing about how Brady and Manning are so great and better than anyone and blah blah blah blah FRIGGIN BLAH!!!
(The 'friggin blah' was for you, Bill- :D)

19. Who's the best offensive lineman you can ever recall playing for your favorite team? (I'm a Bills fan, so my choice is Kent Hull)

20. The Arizona Diamonbacks need to beef up on offense in the off-season. Who are some available free-agents?

21. How many NFL games have you ever attended in person?
(I have been to two Bills games- 1991 against the Steelers and 1992 againt the Rams)

22. The Pac-1 is such a mess that they won't be able to send a quality team to the Holiday Bowl.

23. HD MM's statement that the NBC Sunday Night games are more marquww than the ESPN Monday Night games seems a bit foolish, for the Sunday Night games have been duds while the Monday Night games have been very entertaining.

24. Will we have a winless team from the major college football conferences?

25. Is this the year Florida State does not make a bowl game? Given what happened against Wake Forest, this program has gone from Godzille to Garfield.

2. Looks like USC may have to 'settle' for another Rose Bowl.

Yep. It may very well be SEC champ vs. Big 12 champ in the National Championship Game this year.

5. Will we have a one-game playoff in baseball for the second straight year?
I hope so. One game playoffs are exciting stuff.

6. I think having Wendi Nix covering college football is a good idea.
My eyes concur with you.

7. Oklahoma or Georgia- Who's more likely to take over the #1 spot?
If the Bulldogs beat the Tide, and Oklahoma struggles against TCU, Georgia will leapfrog the Sooners.

12. I hope 'College Gameday' heads to Big 12 country soon; otherwise, I feel it's becoming 'SEC Gameday.'
You can't argue with their logic this week. The biggest game in the country is Alabama-Georgia and ESPN's televising it.

14. Last year when the Ravens played the Steelers on a Monday night, Baltimore got humiliated. Will we see another thrashing?
The Bengals and the Browns aren't the Steelers, and their the only teams the Ravens have played. Even with a nicked up Steelers team, you might just see another thrashing.

16. Anyone ever listen to 'Mike and Mike in the Morning?' They are very funny and entertaining, especially their 'Stone Cold Lead Pipe Locks.'
Can't stand 'em, personally. Golic's alright but Greenburg annoys me.

21. How many NFL games have you ever attended in person?
(I have been to two Bills games- 1991 against the Steelers and 1992 againt the Rams)
Two, both of them at Heinz Field. One in 2004 against the Browns, and the more recent one was the infamous Monday Night game against Miami last year. The Steelers won both times.

22. The Pac-10 is such a mess that they won't be able to send a quality team to the Holiday Bowl.
Every conference not named the SEC or Big 12 are in a down year.

23. HD MM's statement that the NBC Sunday Night games are more marquww than the ESPN Monday Night games seems a bit foolish, for the Sunday Night games have been duds while the Monday Night games have been very entertaining.
I wouldn't call it foolish. On paper, the Sunday Night games usually look better. But of course, the games aren't played on paper.

Last edited:
2 - USC will lose again.

3 - For all its faults, the Olympics system deals with steroid cheats the right way. ERASURE.

5 - No.

7 - Georgia is going to lose to Alabama.

11 - DMA #3 vs. DMA #4.

12 - Don't see a showdown game in the Big 12 for some time to come. EVERY week is a showdown in the SEC.

15 - There are a lot of great teams outside the SEC. I do not bash other conferences, just a broken system that makes the True Majors plus the Leastleftovers exactly equal and the rest of the division nothing. Abolish it.

16 - Good show, except after the NFL ends and baseball starts, when like all of ESPN its all NBA all the time.

22 - And what happens there, under the broken BcS system is EXACTLY EQUAL to what happens in the SEC.

24 - If you mean the BcS conferences, no. The only remaining teams are Rutgers, which plays Syracuse and I-AA Morgan State; and Washington, which has lost to 3 ranked teams and has Notre Dame, and the weak Pac 10 coming up.

25 - 6-6 = bowl. FSU has won two. Maryland and NC State are wins. That means they have to win two out of Colorado, Miami, the ACC Techs, Clemson, BC, and Florida. They can do that.

2. USC's CFB championship hopes were killed by losing to Oregon St., but it's too early to say they have the Rose Bowl locked. As crazy as this sounds, the Oct. 25th USC at Arizona game may be the key to the Rose Bowl.

5. It looks like everything is shaking out this weekend and a playoff won't be necessary.

9. And the reason the Mariners have a $100 million dollar payroll is that they have the 6th highest revenue base in MLB and haven't been in the playoffs since 2001. What does that tell you?

11,23. Sunday Night Football is all about big cities and marquee teams, the fact the games are "great" is just a bonus. Relates to my Mariners comments.

16. Mike and Mike is filler material to me. Greenberg is a pseudo sports fan, cares to talk more about the non-game junk then the actual games themselves, ie. Jessica Simpson/Tony Romo, Pacman Jones, LaBron to NYC. He even admits that he "dumbs" himself down to relate to Golic.

20. The D-Backs are now a "Moneyball" team. They could re-sign a couple of guys, or a FA, but that's it. They have oversold their AAA talent pool, otherwise they would just promote them up to the big leagues.

21. I use to be a "Priority Ticket" holder for the Seahawks, this was before they sold out Qwest Field every year(2006). When I lived in the Bay Area in the 80's when to a couple of 49er games, including the post quake game at Stanford Stadium against the Patriots in '89.

25. Bowden should call it a career after this year, it's just an average team in an average conference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts