Range of Discussion for Cell Phones

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
Where's the guidance for what subjects we can and cannot cover?

REPAIRS:
I've been promised an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 3GS, by owners who are replacing them.
Actually, I get 'em 'cause they have broken screens, and really can't be traded in.

So, I've done extensive research, and now feel prepared to
- purchase the repair parts at a good price
- install the components with confidence
- trouble shoot if there are any problems

I'm not really thinking about taking step-by-step pictures, but I might write up a higher quality check list of steps.
Can we link in external sites with good pictures, or videos?
I've dredged through hundreds (honestly, hundreds!) of both.
Some video presenters are poorly informed or just plain clueless (drunk or high).
A few are wrong.. or leave out a critical step.

JAILBREAKING:
That is a change to the phone you own, to allow it to run non-Apple-approved applications.
There are sources of free and pay applications you can get for your iPhone, and it's up to you to choose if you want 'em

UNLOCKING:
This is a change to the phone you own, to allow operation on other than the original carrier.
Lot of people put iPhones from AT&T over onto T-Mobile, for instance.

I'd like to see all the above categories blessed for comment here on SatGuys.
There is nothing illegal nor underhanded about any of these subjects, so I'd like to see 'em given support. - :up

There are a lot of sites out there covering this info already, and it would be nice when members find a useful link or bit of info, they can share it here.
And I'd like to make a suggestion:
If you find the answer to someones question at another place, don't just give the link; give the answer (and link for reference)
Nothing worse than getting a bunch of links for answers.
Or at least that's what people have told me when I did so! - :eek:

wonderful news

Well, if that's the official position, could we make this thread a sticky and lock it?
If there are changes in the future, a moderator could either re-open it, or post updates. :up

If any of that was against the rules it would be added to the terms of service. Very little is disallowed outside of discussion of service theft site-wide.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I don't see a need for a sticky; we have always been open with discussion in these forums. Jailbreaking is not illegal, its not like stealing pay satellite signals (that IS ILLEGAL and against our rules). All is good. Not post questions and lets get busy talking tech and phones! :)

WRT phones, I would expect that discussions on how to clone a phone or tap into another's conversation would not be allowed. These are definitely illegal. Nothing you mentioned has ever been banned here.

My thought is this: If it's illegal in the real world, i.e. against the law, then it is against the rules here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)