Flash Battle OVER! Apple wins Adobe loses.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Adobe has announced it will end its development of Flash for mobile devices and plans to concentrate future efforts on HTML5.

HTML5 is better anyway. Adobe flash just takes too much computer resources. Every time I'm on a website that uses flash, the fans on my computer just start blasting. With HTML5, I don't have to deal with that.

Good.I think even android will benefit from this since flash is power hungry.and so will my iPad :D

Is this the reason the "Watch ESPN" app doesn't want to work ?
It always tries to download "Adobe Air" and never does, or is this something entirely different ?

not sure how apple won? They still do not offer its customers a web feature that has been around for years and still the bulk of websites use. HTML5 will not be the norm on many sites for a good time to go. So again how Apple fanboys can see this as a win I do not know?

I guess a "Hey guys we stuck around long enough without a feature until technology changed! yay us!" When in fact even Adobe said they were moving to HTML5 over a year ago...

Ya I really dont understand that either. I mean its not like Flash is just going away... hundreds of thousands of sites will still be using it for a long time to come if history is any judge to how quickly the web changes.

Steve Jobs said NO to Flash on iOS, and now Adobe has decided not to pursue it further. Its not Apple that won; it was Steve Jobs making his reality distortion field become reality. IF Adobe were to continue to push Flash, instead of abandoning it, then it would have been a different scenario. But for whatever reason, Adobe decided to push HTML5 (what Apple has been pushing) and thus not alienate the very loyal Apple iOS base. Apple may not represent the majority of smart phone users, but it plays a much bigger role in shaping the future. Perhaps that will change with Jobs gone, but I doubt it.

And I guess with the push away from Flash to HTML5, how many of those hundreds of thousands of sites that actually matter will stick with flash? Much of the business world is focused on making its web presence "mobile" ready; I can't imagine a lot of businesses today would intentionally go for flash knowing that their product would miss out on all iPhone and iPad users.

It is and will still be a feature on all Android devices I expect. It's not like they're pulling it off of devices and websites. Adobe will still do security updates as necessary, and sites using Flash already came to terms with which devices can and can't use their content at this point. There just won't be a Flash Plugin 11, 12, etc.

It's only so much of the victory some are making it out to be, it's not like Flash will suddenly not be used on websites and is being pulled from the Android market.

For more than a year Android/Google/Carriers have pushed that only on Android can you have access to Flash sites and video. As Adobe stops further development of the platform, that push will go away.

The push does not go away. As its still a true statement. and even a year from now there will be flash sites iphones still cant use.

Steve Jobs said NO to Flash on iOS, and now Adobe has decided not to pursue it further. Its not Apple that won; it was Steve Jobs making his reality distortion field become reality. IF Adobe were to continue to push Flash, instead of abandoning it, then it would have been a different scenario. But for whatever reason, Adobe decided to push HTML5 (what Apple has been pushing) and thus not alienate the very loyal Apple iOS base. Apple may not represent the majority of smart phone users, but it plays a much bigger role in shaping the future. Perhaps that will change with Jobs gone, but I doubt it.

And I guess with the push away from Flash to HTML5, how many of those hundreds of thousands of sites that actually matter will stick with flash? Much of the business world is focused on making its web presence "mobile" ready; I can't imagine a lot of businesses today would intentionally go for flash knowing that their product would miss out on all iPhone and iPad users.

Sites already do things for people who do not have flash by making mobile versions of there websites. The whole point of having Flash enabled phones is so you can visit the regular website not the truncated mobile site.

HTML5 is the next generation of web development and there would be noting Adobe could do to stop it. Flash has also been in use for many years and there is only so much more that they could change on it, so really there is no reason to continue updating it. They are not removing it from the phones they are simply not releasing new versions.

Android will also support HTML5 so why on earth would you not want a phone that supports as much as possible? Instead of limiting yourself. Steve jobs was a smart guy but this whole no flash thing seems more like a fight he had with someone and not a smart business move. Unless of course his customers do not mind being behind the curve on technology.. Which seems to be the case from talking to apple users.

Apple designs its devices to work well, and to work smoothly, I have used Flash on Android, and it has never worked well, nor smoothly. Jobs' may have had a personal vendetta against Adobe (which goes back to when they refused to create OSX-compatible versions of their software), but his decision to not permit Flash in the iOS ecosphere given those desire for a tightly integrated OS that just works, makes sense, and it does not mean that Apple users are behind the curve in technology.

But it strikes me that this conversation is circling... I've made the same argument over and over. No point going any further.

Sorry guys, I should know better than to write a "war zone" title with this group. It was a tongue in cheek title. I forgot that some would get unnerved over it.

But in all honesty, I do recognize that Flash is not permanent. Change is permanent. And this is what Adobe's decision is all about. It's time to change. Rocky is right about business. They want to change to what works everywhere.

The Insider said:
The push does not go away. As its still a true statement. and even a year from now there will be flash sites iphones still cant use.

I watch flash video on my iPhone all of the time. Skyfire app converts flash to html with no problem.

Sorry guys, I should know better than to write a "war zone" title with this group. It was a tongue in cheek title. I forgot that some would get unnerved over it.

But in all honesty, I do recognize that Flash is not permanent. Change is permanent. And this is what Adobe's decision is all about. It's time to change. Rocky is right about business. They want to change to what works everywhere.

The only people that seem to be overreacting are the ones posting like Flash has been removed from every website and cell phone.

Range of Discussion for Cell Phones

AT&T Launching 4G LTE in Indianapolis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)