[Rant] Another purchased receiver showing as leased

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
return 311's

I just received a box in the mail with a letter to return (2) 311's I bought over 7 years ago. they said they were leased, that is not true. I called and they basically said the same thing as the other Subs said. I'm not sending them back and I'll see what happens

How do you know if your receivers are leased or owned? Are they always leased if an installer supplies them?

If you got all your receivers from E* when you subbed or did equipment upgrades via E*, the equipment is leased. Your agreement should indicate this. It is possible if your install goes over the max number of leased receivers E* allows, you would have had to purchase the additional receivers from E* or some other provider. You should have paperwork which indicates this. If you acquired equipment via eBay, Amazon,or some other equipment retailer, you should have paperwork showing you purchased it.

Dish is doing this to me as well. Purchased a new 722k on eBay and placed on account 04/02/10 and was not told at that time it was leased. I've never had a leased box, I've always owned my equipment. The person I spoke to said that there was an "error" in deactivating the box from the previous owner, the box I received was not opened, and in new shape, everything in plastic and whatnot, but if that's the case why did they allow me to activate it if it was a previous customers lease? Yet another shining example of Dish and their policies.

Dish is doing this to me as well. Purchased a new 722k on eBay and placed on account 04/02/10 and was not told at that time it was leased. I've never had a leased box, I've always owned my equipment. The person I spoke to said that there was an "error" in deactivating the box from the previous owner, the box I received was not opened, and in new shape, everything in plastic and whatnot, but if that's the case why did they allow me to activate it if it was a previous customers lease? Yet another shining example of Dish and their policies.

You need to go back to eBay and get your money from whomever you purchased from.

Here is my experience with rental charges applied to a receiver I purchased.

In 2008 I bought a 722 receiver. After a few months I noticed that I was paying a monthly rental fee for this device. It took some doing, but I eventually managed to talk to an "executive account adjuster" in the Denver office. I provided proof of purchase and by the next billing cycle the rental charge was dropped and I was reimbursed for all previous charges.

On this January's bill I found that the charge reappeared, as well as charge for a defunct receiver that I returned several years ago. When I called, I had the CSR check my account records. She apologized when she saw that the charges were bogus and promised to remove the charges. I am waiting for the next billing cycle to see if the problem has been solved.

Similar own versus lease problem

I purchased three receivers from DISH. One was a dual DVR with free dual receiver and the third was a dual DVR. DISH is now pi**ed off that I canceled their lousy service after 2.5 years. They are trying to bill me because I refuse to return the receivers. They acknowledge that I own one but want to charge me for the other two. I sent certified letters to their CEO along with emails and not even the courtesy of a response. I finally sent an email with copies to US and State Atty General, all members of the FCC and other legal groups and finally they put someone from their executive team on the case. They are trying to get me to prove I own the equipment, I told them prove I leased it which they can't. Claim they can't find original records going back less than 3 years, like I really believe that. I have formally filed a billing dispute and yet they still turned it over to a collection agency despite my written notice to not contact me. I am maintaining careful records and can prove they are trying to rip me off, so let them just try to take me to court. Not gonna happen and if it does, I have them on all sorts of violation of consumer protection law, unfair and deceptive trade practices and debt collection. They have not reported anything to the credit bureaus which in itself demonstrates that they must be trying to get me to return equipment I own hoping I will be intimidated into giving them a freebie. They have a huge fight on their hands and I will not go down easy. They don't have any credit card or bank information on me so they can't pirate my accounts and I will just send copies of all my correspondence and their failure to respond to the credit bureau if they attempt to report me with a bad credit rating. This nonsense has been going on for more than 5 months and my next step is to file a formal complaint with all the Consumer Protection agencies and BBB I can get my hands on for address. Then I will look for a lawyer to sue their butts off.:rant: I will never do business with DISH again even if they offered me the service free for life, no loss because service never worked in the first place. They have cheaper service so I guess I got what I paid for, NOTHING!! Crappy company should just be wiped off the planet and not allowed to rip off their customers.

For those buying recievers and then calling in to have them authorized, be sure and speciify that the receiver being activated is a purchased one. There is the presumption by CSRs that a reciever being activated is a leased one ...not sure exactly why...maybe because the vast majority of the ones being activated are leased. If the automated activation system is used, then the computer probably defaults to leased. Contact DISH again and have them access the notes on your account. Have them look at the section when this particular reciever was activated. Ask them if it shows purchased or leased at the time of activation.
Actually, DON'T call DISH directly. Find a local retailer who is willing to contact DISH Retail Services Division on your behalf.

Almost two weeks now after faxing my receipt with no return call from the original CSR. :rant: I will be calling her in the morning.....

I have also sent an email as suggested early on, I sent one last Friday with no response. I just sent it again documenting the lack of communication from email and the CSR I originally spoke with.

If this isn't settled by this Friday I am moving forward to protect myself and my receiver.

On another note, as it is typical with Dish, no box has arrived yet for the receiver they claim they own....:D

Sorry for replying to myself(again).

I received an email this morning from Dish apologizing for this situation. It stated my receiver's status has been changed to purchased.

It's still showing as pending receipt under the order status, I will give it until tomorrow before replying to the email to have it removed from the work order.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts