Rant--I'm done with DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
To make a long story short, we just bought a house, so we moved. I had an appointment with DirecTV to do the mover's connection, as well as hook up HD service in our home. For some reason, they made 2 separate appointments on the same day, a Friday. One for the morning, one for the afternoon. Fine. Well, no one showed at all for the morning appointment. I had to take off of work to be at home for the appointment. When I called DTV they said it was the local installers problem, nothing they could do. Whatever. Finally at 3 PM an installer shows up and gets an attitude after I asked if he was the morning appointment or the afternoon appointment. I was obviously frustrated, but not out of line at any point, but this guy continues with the attitude after I ask further questions about the job he is there to do. He decides he doesn't want to do the install and leaves.

I called DTV and they said they would escalate the problem. I don't hear anything so I called DTV back the next morning. They don't see a problem with it seeing they have already rescheduled my install. I wasn't satisfied with this, so I spent 4 hours on the phone on a Saturday tracking down the local office with no help from DirecTV corporate. Finally I get the local office to install my DTV on a Sunday morning--just in time for football. Even after the install, I called Customer Retention and explained my problem and asked them to do a complaint against the local office for missing an install appointment. They agreed wholeheartedly and even gave me 10 bucks off of my bill for a year.

Okay, problem solved, right?

The next week I decided I wanted to upgrade my reciever to an HD DVR. I fork out the 300 bones for it, and schedule an install. I specifically wrote this info down, 9 December, 1-5 local. Friday, (the day before the install) I check on DTV online to make sure everything is good to go. MY APPOINTMENT GOT MOVED TO 16 DECEMBER AND NOBODY BOTHERED TO CALL ME AND LET ME KNOW THIS.

I spent another 2 hours back and forth with DTV on the phone trying to figure out what happened, and with them giving me the company line that is now getting famous, "Nothing we can do, the local installer changed it". Again, no accountability from DTV corporate, and once again they could care less about inconveniencing a customer because they know they have the Sunday Ticket monopoly.

Well, I am officially taking the hit and paying the penalty to get out of my current contract. I can't stand the attitude of this company and I'll make sure I write enough letters to the BBB, FTC and Attorney General to create some waves. I doubt anything will ever get done, but....I'm tired of it.
I've been a loyal customer for 3 years, A-list, everything. Is this how they treat their customers?

Am I out of line?

BTW, first post here, long time lurker though.

Sorry you feel that way. Better luck elswhere. Later.

I agree that these screw ups happen far too often, it took 4 appointments yo get my install right, but don't give the installer the hassle. They go out and do what the work orders says. My problem was with our local install company. The people in the office screwed up , not the installer. Remember, you get more fliess with honey than you do with vinagar.

I agree that these screw ups happen far too often, it took 4 appointments yo get my install right, but don't give the installer the hassle. They go out and do what the work orders says. My problem was with our local install company. The people in the office screwed up , not the installer. Remember, you get more fliess with honey than you do with vinagar.

Well, if the local install office would answer phones or if DTV would handle it correctly instead of making the customer do it, I wouldn't have to use the installer as a middleman. And besides, I hardly hassled the guy. I had a right to ask why he was so late and I had a right to make sure the work order he had was correct. He was the one that took exception to it.

Well, if the local install office would answer phones or if DTV would handle it correctly instead of making the customer do it, I wouldn't have to use the installer as a middleman. And besides, I hardly hassled the guy. I had a right to ask why he was so late and I had a right to make sure the work order he had was correct. He was the one that took exception to it.

Sounds that way to me too, from what you've posted.
When I dealt with D* for an install, I had D* contact the local installer (they know who they use) while I was on the phone with them.
They had no problem doing this.
Maybe you can get on a three way with D* and your install company and straighten it out.

Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.

Hope you get it worked out.

jimbo

Sounds that way to me too, from what you've posted.
When I dealt with D* for an install, I had D* contact the local installer (they know who they use) while I was on the phone with them.
They had no problem doing this.
Maybe you can get on a three way with D* and your install company and straighten it out.

Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.

Hope you get it worked out.

jimbo

You are right, that is the way to do it, but would you believe I already did that? Even the DTV operator was confused on why the local office wouldn't answer. She kept saying " I know they are there, they are required to work the same hours as us!" Unreal.

Worse yet, DTV gave me 2 numbers to get in touch with the local office. One, an answering machine always picks up. The second is a voice mail for some pediatric nurse. Unreal that this company can't even get their contractors right info.

My D* installers may have been contractors. I didn't ask to see their work identification. They did have shirts with Directv patches sewn on and their van had that fancy stick-on vinyl graphics all over it plugging something about D*. I know they don't make much money but the trainee said he only went to school for 2 weeks. Even Bill Gates went to school longer than that. Mine was just a simple upgrade this time and they are usually several hours late.

My main problems with D* are not their installs. #1 is them constantly lying about upgrade and leasing costs of their HD dvr's. Promising rebates I don't even qualify for. #2 HD quality is usually way too compressed. #3 is lack of regional sports in HD, even with the season passes etc. Problem is Dish and Time Warner are about the same. This months Home Theater Mag has a detailed article about Verizon FIOS TV. They are compressing their HD signals too and their HD dvr is $13 a month each. I currently use 5 of them. Where to turn. I need my NFL ST/Superfan.

I want to move but I have 3 E* dishes and 1 D* dish on my roof. I can't afford to buy a home anymore. Pretty tough finding an apartment that will allow 4 dishes pointing southwest. Thats 8 small holes thru my walls! They all know they have us by the balls.

That my friend is why I do my own installs

The AT-9 is the first dish I have ever had "Someone else" install, only so Icould learn and see how much difference there really is.
I will do my next one myself again, in my case I would have been done with the install by noon on the original due date, except D* would not allow me to get a AT-9 dish without them installing, (If they installed the dish,it was free, I would have had to buy the dish ($100) if I installed it and they would not re imburse me)

Jimbo

When D* called the install company about my problem the CSR told me that she finally had to ask for a supervisor because the front line wouldn't tell her anything and was basically rude to her. Now, you all tell me, where does the install company get off being rude to D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts