Ravioli anyone?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Yespage

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ohio
Even with the right tools, ravioli takes time. Unfortunately double cream gouda and parano cheese is unavailable.

Luckily Target sells Tillimook cheese (out of Oregon). They had a bag of shredded parmesan and mozzarella. So mix that with an egg and I don’t know 3/4 cup of ricotta and that worked out real well. Pasta was the typical flour, egg, oil, water. I forgot to 3 to 1 a side of whole wheat flour which helps reduce stickiness while rolling, worked out fine though, just a little more effort.

They key is not to over cook the ravioli, but allow it to simmer in tomato sauce long enough to melt the cheese.

Fresh ravioli is the best... well with the proper cheeses.

Agreed. I make ravioli several times a year. Typically I'll make a large batch and freeze some of it. My family loves it when I make spinach ravioli. The trick is to use organic frozen spinach and let it dry a bit. I use a cheese cloth in a colander for several hours occasionally giving it a squeeze or two. It takes time and yes quality ingredients make a big difference.

Several hours? Why not get fresh spinach and cook it on a pan to wilt it? That works fine with spinach cannelloni, and takes 10 to 15 minutes.

Several hours? Why not get fresh spinach and cook it on a pan to wilt it? That works fine with spinach cannelloni, and takes 10 to 15 minutes.
Yes, that works as well. I was providing an alternative that works really well for me and most people. If you prefer using your method then knock yourself out. I happen to have an open mind about trying different procedures. You seem to be stuck on what you are comfortable with. Thats fine too. Just realize that your self righteous opinion might be causing you to miss out on other people's experiences.

Me-yow!

Not a typical response from a person with an open mind. Whatev’s. Enjoy the several hour frozen spinach route.

Reactions: primestar31
Hard to picture this as being worth it.

maybe I’ll give it a try someday, after my mile long honeydew list is done. Hint: DON’T RETIRE! It’s too much work!

It’s worth it. Need the tools. If you hundreds to plop down Kitchenaid has a remarkable device for making the ravioli. It is still work, but takes some labor (20%?) out of it. I recommend something like this.

Makes ‘mass’ production much easier! Stamps allow you to make bigger ones, but will take longer.

The benefit of home made ravioli are two fold. Fresh pasta is always better! Second, you can make whatever you want in a ravioli. Seafood, meat, cheeses, veggies, mushrooms. The critical thing is not to overstuff them! Store bought ravioli is just a plain gritty cheese, where as homemade can have something with kick added.

But yes, store bought is faster and easier and I use 20 to 1 with homemade. Got lucky and the local store brand is cheap and pretty good.

Reactions: navychop
I never used a mold. I have one of those mini ice cream scoops that works just as well for me. I typically make 2 or 3 dozen at a time and can crank them out pretty quickly. A mold will produce perfect little squares. My hand cut method won't. That doesn't matter to me all that much. Getting all the air out and making a good seal is much more important IMHO.

Ravioli-Maker-on-the-gas.jpg

It’s worth it. Need the tools. If you hundreds to plop down Kitchenaid has a remarkable device for making the ravioli. It is still work, but takes some labor (20%?) out of it. I recommend something like this.

Makes ‘mass’ production much easier! Stamps allow you to make bigger ones, but will take longer.

The benefit of home made ravioli are two fold. Fresh pasta is always better! Second, you can make whatever you want in a ravioli. Seafood, meat, cheeses, veggies, mushrooms. The critical thing is not to overstuff them! Store bought ravioli is just a plain gritty cheese, where as homemade can have something with kick added.

But yes, store bought is faster and easier and I use 20 to 1 with homemade. Got lucky and the local store brand is cheap and pretty good.
By “hundreds” you must mean more tools than just that $27 one you linked.

Do you really make your own pasta from semolina flour? MANY years ago, I tried that once, for noodles. WAY more expensive than store bought. Not much different in taste. Maybe I did it wrong. Of course, that was one wife ago, who decided mid way she hated the idea and tried to get me to stop.

By “hundreds” you must mean more tools than just that $27 one you linked.
That tool can do the job by itself. Sprinkle flour on it, lay a sheet of pasta on it, then spoon small amounts of filling, then the other sheet, and the small roller with the mold is using to press and mostly cut the ravioli. This is also made easier by having a pasta roller to roll the sheets. I used to do all of this by hand (roller).

The Kitchaid mixer (hundreds) and the attachment (over $100) is another (I forget if that comes with a pasta roller attachment. That is the as automated as it gets.

Do you really make your own pasta from semolina flour? MANY years ago, I tried that once, for noodles. WAY more expensive than store bought. Not much different in taste. Maybe I did it wrong. Of course, that was one wife ago, who decided mid way she hated the idea and tried to get me to stop.
I did, but one time I had to make it out of flour when I was out of semolina, and that was when learned that pasta gets its flavor from the egg and oil and the semolina really doesn't provide any discernible improvement to the experience and I haven't bought semolina since.

And yes, pasta and ice cream are pretty much two of the rare cases of 'you can't make it cheaper at home'. So, you make it for quality, taste, customizability, and freshness. Personally, I like it thicker and chewier, so I can make it thicker. The box, it is what it is. Also, it is easier to work with, no precooking (it'lll cook fine in the sauce in the oven), it is rollable for cannelloni and other tube concoctions, etc...

But! If you can't tell the difference, don't bother.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)