Anyone canning?

Discussion in 'What's Cooking?' started by Magic Static, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Magic Static

Magic Static Topic Starter FTA Geek
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU! Lifetime Supporter

Plums, lots of plums. I have a plum tree I planted 20 some years ago and it produces amazing amounts of fruit. Last year when I was in to see my VA doctor I mentioned I had planted a couple peach trees that spring and she said she had a plum tree and soon we were comparing plum recipes. She had just made plum butter and brought some to work so she grabbed a spoon and offered a taste. She was using a crock pot to process the plums. I thought that was a good idea so I tried it this year. Oh yeah! This is the ticket. I put up 36 half-pints of jelly, preserves, and plum butter. The jelly will make an awesome replacement for the traditional cranberry jelly on the Thanksgiving Day dinner table. The butter turned out so good, mmmmmmm, I'm glad there was 16 jars of that ;)
    So the VA doc will get a jar and maybe, just maybe, she might remember me when I see her next time. ;)

spongella and dfergie like this.
  2. dfergie

dfergie Proud Staff Member
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

west of the pecos, between Otis and first contact
    My Brother and Sister in law can, my Mom did also, I would love a jar of prickly pear jam like she had canned...

spongella and Magic Static like this.
  3. KE4EST

KE4EST SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

We can a lot of stuff out of the garden every year. No many fruits. Sometimes I make Black Berry Jam in early summer and can that.

spongella and Magic Static like this.
  4. osu1991

osu1991 SatelliteGuys Master

We had a lot growing up on our family ranch. A half dozen plum trees that were loaded every year. An apple tree, a crab apple tree, several pear and pecan trees. Then the garden had okra, green beans, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and squash. We also had a area of wild garlic.

My mom and grandma would can and make jelly every year. My mom goes by the old ranch when visiting her brother who still lives near it, and the current owners let her still pick all the fruit she wants, so she still puts up some plum jelly each year, but that’s about it. We don’t get enough to can from the small garden we keep now. It produces enough to enjoy during the season

Last year, I transplanted a few small plum and pear trees at the lake house, that had sprouted from the old ones at the ranch. Maybe we will have something to harvest in a couple years.

spongella, dfergie and Magic Static like this.
  5. spongella

spongella SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

Glad to hear folks are still canning. Used to can concord grapes from our vine, but the vine is gone. It's a rewarding experience and the smells from canning bring back fond memories.

Lately have been lazy, I buy some fresh or dried fruit, cut it up, and add rum (or a sweet wine) to the top. In the fridge it goes. Great with yogurt.

Separate names with a comma.

More...