Canning/Jarring

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kittyhas1000legs

That's a lot of claws!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Western Slope, CO
What sort of stuff do people here like to preserve? My fiancee and I are finishing up a batch of black raspberry jam (picked for FREE!), the first made in our apartment. Before that we made a couple batches of blueberry jam at her parents' house, plus one batch of honey peaches. Her father has piles and piles of stuff in the basement (tomato sauce, apricot/habanero jelly, a rainbow of veggies). Once the wineberries are ripe we'll try a couple and possibly jar those too.

Anyone have any good recipes or recommendations?

I'd recommend looking into canning dill pickles and maybe even dill green beans. Garlic dills are da bomb.

The key is picking the cucumbers before they get too large or pithy.

We have lots of sand plum, apricot, crab apple and a few apple trees that my mom makes jelly from every year. Depending on whats in the garden and how much garlic we get (which is usually quite a lot for us), she makes garlic pickles and dill pickles too. If we get a lot of squash, zucchini, banana peppers or green beans, then she will usually can some of those too. We don't plant as much anymore, so we usually go through or give to neighbors most of what we produce during the summer and don't have much left over.

I just did a bunch of work in my backyard and need to build some new planters and plant a bunch of garlic (for favorite for everything) I brought up from our ranch house a few weeks ago. I am going to try and transplant some plum and apricot trees this fall out to the lake property. Trying to get a lot of stuff up here to my house or my lake house property, as no one is living at my grandparents old ranch anymore and it will mainly get used for hunting unless we sell it to take care of my mom.

I make jam a few times a year, but i make pickles all the time. I love just about anything pickled. I also make large batches of my BBQ sauce and can that in pints.

Today's deliciousness:

Wineberry jam, six halfpints. These things are going crazy at one of the parks, so we had a couple pounds of them. They're an invasive species, so I'll help out by eating them instead of letting them spread their seeds.
Blueberry peach jam, nine halfpints. Amazing.
Jostaberry jam: an experiment, kind of weird. The farm sells it as blueberry/jostaberry.

Tonight, a BIG batch of blueberry, and possibly some wineberry/black raspberry. We have around 12 lbs of blueberries, and her friend brought over some more.

Today we got some surprise beets from the CSA. Perhaps we'll pickle them, either alone or with hard boiled eggs. We also now have too much jam (if there is such a thing). Jostaberry/blueberry, wineberry/blueberry, black raspberry/blueberry, peach/blueberry, wineberry, blueberry, jostaberry, apricot/hot pepper. I think that's everything. We'll probably make more pepper or fruit/pepper jellies, and some honey peaches.

It just keeps going. Another batch of peach/blueberry, and a few jars of honey peaches (one spiced). Tomorrow we get more fruit and veggies from the CSA, so I see pickled beets in the future.

I can a bit. Mostly pickles and salsa. Came across some local peaches that were so good I had to buy 30 pounds and made a bunch of half pint jars for Christmas gifts.

Most of the recipes are my grandmother's or great grandmother's.

I'm up to 3 dozen quarts of various pickles, a dozen pints of salsa, 4 quarts(so far) of marinara, and 16 or so half pints of peach preserves. All the pickles came from my garden as well as the salsa and marinara.

It's been a productive garden this year.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1407212115.980996.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1407211536.683778.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1407211564.350617.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1407211596.120422.jpg

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: osu1991

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)